Old 09-18-2014, 14:34   #1
PSM
Area Commander
 
PSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cochise Co., AZ
Posts: 6,064
Pack Rat!

I've been at war with a pack rat that has built a nest under our wood pile. I've lost every engagement so far. I don't know how big it is because my game cam wakes too slowly to catch it. So, last night I put out a large trap and a small trap. The damn rat ate the bait on the large one without tripping it and STOLE the small one.

Pat
__________________
"Hector Lives!"

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 16:08   #2
PRB
Quiet Professional
 
PRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I've been at war with a pack rat that has built a nest under our wood pile. I've lost every engagement so far. I don't know how big it is because my game cam wakes too slowly to catch it. So, last night I put out a large trap and a small trap. The damn rat ate the bait on the large one without tripping it and STOLE the small one.

Pat
Yeah, they are bad this year. I've had them eat bait out of a hair trigger rat trap...how quick are they, there was one finger in the trap.
I sometimes (away from the house because of dogs/dead PR bodies) use a poison cube that is secured in a plastic box...locks shut with a hole large enough for PR's.
Works great but you don't want a poisoned PR in the yard for your dog I'm thinking.
I've a few nice car rewiring bills from the little bastards.
BTW, if you get rid of the PR get rid of the smell (urine/feces) as it attracts other PR's...I use undiluted pinesol spray...
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 16:20   #3
PSM
Area Commander
 
PSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cochise Co., AZ
Posts: 6,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
Yeah, they are bad this year. I've had them eat bait out of a hair trigger rat trap...how quick are they, there was one finger in the trap.
I sometimes (away from the house because of dogs/dead PR bodies) use a poison cube that is secured in a plastic box...locks shut with a hole large enough for PR's.
Works great but you don't want a poisoned PR in the yard for your dog I'm thinking.
I've a few nice car rewiring bills from the little bastards.
BTW, if you get rid of the PR get rid of the smell (urine/feces) as it attracts other PR's...I use undiluted pinesol spray...
I found the small trap under the wood rack. It tripped but no rat and no bait. I tossed several of the Tomcat blocks under the rack but they haven't worked yet. I'm going to put some more out tonight. Fortunately, the dog won't mess with dead things.

I've been checking the vehicles and they are clear so far.

Thanks for the Pinesol tip!

Pat
__________________
"Hector Lives!"

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 16:40   #4
Lan
Guerrilla Chief
 
Lan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I've a few nice car rewiring bills from the little bastards.
Happened to us once. We got an outdoor cat at the shelter and the only rats we see now are dead ones. Properly placed glue traps work well too.
__________________
together we stand, divided we fall.
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 13:30   #5
PRB
Quiet Professional
 
PRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan View Post
Happened to us once. We got an outdoor cat at the shelter and the only rats we see now are dead ones. Properly placed glue traps work well too.
I'd do that but outdoor/barn cats don't survive here....coyotes or horned owls will get them....my neighbor went thru 3 from the pound in 6 weeks, gave up.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:54   #6
Lan
Guerrilla Chief
 
Lan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I'd do that but outdoor/barn cats don't survive here....coyotes or horned owls will get them....my neighbor went thru 3 from the pound in 6 weeks, gave up.
California coyotes must not work well together! From the looks of this map the subspecies we have here is different than the subspecies in Arizona, but from my research, the hunting techniques the coyote species uses are consistent. Must be the terrain, or how reliant the liberal coyotes out here are on their government.

We have coyotes and owls but I've only lost 1 cat to what I assume was coyotes because we had a pack of them who liked to hang out near our old house. We have a problem raccoon at our current house. Got into a fight with our dogs a while back on our deck. The dogs kept him away for a while but he was back a couple nights ago eating our cat food and the damn thing broke the cat bowl in the process.
__________________
together we stand, divided we fall.
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:28   #7
PRB
Quiet Professional
 
PRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan View Post
California coyotes must not work well together! From the looks of this map the subspecies we have here is different than the subspecies in Arizona, but from my research, the hunting techniques the coyote species uses are consistent. Must be the terrain, or how reliant the liberal coyotes out here are on their government.

We have coyotes and owls but I've only lost 1 cat to what I assume was coyotes because we had a pack of them who liked to hang out near our old house. We have a problem raccoon at our current house. Got into a fight with our dogs a while back on our deck. The dogs kept him away for a while but he was back a couple nights ago eating our cat food and the damn thing broke the cat bowl in the process.
The packs around here are pretty aggressive....they take small dogs too.
One Coyote runs at a barky dog (small 20 lbs or so as Coytes won't attk a big dog)...then turns and runs away getting the mutt to chase him...right into the pack where they tear him apart.
Neighbors about 15 acres over didn't know about that and lost their dog the first week here.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 18:52   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,648
Don't handle the carcasses with your bare hands.

TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 19:01   #9
PSM
Area Commander
 
PSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cochise Co., AZ
Posts: 6,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Don't handle the carcasses with your bare hands.

TR
Haven't gotten that far yet.

Pat
__________________
"Hector Lives!"

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 15:40   #10
mark46th
Quiet Professional
 
mark46th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orange, Ca.
Posts: 4,834
I'd spray the area with an insecticde, too. Triatoma(Kissing or assassin bugs) live in pack rat nests. In Mexico and Central America, the bite from these bugs can carry Chaga's disease, which causes a heart infection. The only cases I have heard of up here were in Texas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abug.jpg (1.7 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by mark46th; 09-20-2014 at 15:43.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 18:25   #11
PSM
Area Commander
 
PSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cochise Co., AZ
Posts: 6,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I'd spray the area with an insecticde, too. Triatoma(Kissing or assassin bugs) live in pack rat nests. In Mexico and Central America, the bite from these bugs can carry Chaga's disease, which causes a heart infection. The only cases I have heard of up here were in Texas.
I remember those dudes from living in Texas and Oklahoma. Haven't seen any out here, though. Didn't know that they bit humans, either. Fortunately, we live in a migratory bird lane and have very little trouble with bugs. Plus, the nighthawks and bats are very efficient in the evening and at night. We also have tons of lizards, some about 9" long.

Pat
__________________
"Hector Lives!"

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 16:43   #12
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional
 
Ambush Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: DFW Texas Area
Posts: 4,740
Also, Peppermint Oil will repel ALL rodents!! Put some on a Cotton Ball and put it where you don't want them to go (several under the hood and around ubder the vehicle)!!
__________________
Martin sends.
Ambush Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 17:57   #13
PRB
Quiet Professional
 
PRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
Also, Peppermint Oil will repel ALL rodents!! Put some on a Cotton Ball and put it where you don't want them to go (several under the hood and around ubder the vehicle)!!
Shit, I'll try anything......
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 21:02   #14
PRB
Quiet Professional
 
PRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
If they are in a confined space try chemical warfare.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271598615601?lpid=82

The hardware store has them for less than they are selling here.
No, I'm looking for a really small, like cartoon sized, suitcase nuke....a mushroom cloud about waist high.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50.



Copyright 2004-2021 by Professional Soldiers
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies