View Single Post
Old 12-24-2014, 10:58   #7
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

I have some homemade eggnog 'aging' in the refrigerator that I made using George Washington's recipe.

Quote:
One quart cream, one quart milk, one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, 1/2 pint rye whiskey, 1/2 pint Jamaica rum, 1/4 pint sherry—mix liquor first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs, add sugar to beaten yolks, mix well. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Let set in cool place for several days. Taste frequently.

Source
I cooked the egg base instead of using raw eggs, which may have changed the texture. Next time I will try pasteurized eggs and use them raw, though the FDA and USDA recommend even cooking the base of pasteurized eggs. With a little cinnamon and vanilla, it is quite good. Anxious to see how aging affects the flavor, though it isn't likely to last more than a few days.

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote