Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 03-12-2012, 16:07   #31
Sdiver
Area Commander

Location: The OTHER Mile High city ... with Mtns on the East side
Some new information coming to light.
They are stating this solider had a Tramatic Brain Injury from an incident before hand.

Quote:
Soldier Held in Afghan Massacre Had Brain Injury, Marital Problems

The Army staff sergeant who allegedly went on a rampage and killed 16 Afghans as they slept in their homes had a traumatic brain injury at one point and had problems at home after his last deployment, officials told ABC News.

But the soldier, who is based at Fort Lewis in Washington, was considered fit for combat duty and deployed to Afghanistan in December, officials said.

Details about the staff sergeant, who has not been identified, emerged as the Taliban vowed revenge against "sick-minded American savages" after the mass killing.

What has trickled about the suspect is that he was 38, on his fourth combat deployment in 10 years, the first three in Iraq. He was on his first tour in Afghanistan, where he'd been since December.

When the massacre took place he was assigned to Camp Belambay, a remote combat outpost where his job was to be protection for Special Operations Forces who were creating local militias. He was not a member of the special forces unit.

An official told ABC News that the soldier has suffered a mild traumatic brain injury (TBI) in the past, either from hitting his head on the hatch of a vehicle or in a car accident. He went through the advanced TBI treatment at Fort Lewis and was deemed to be fine.

He also underwent mental health screening necessary to become a sniper and passed in 2008. He had routine behavioral health screening after that and was cleared, the official said.

When the soldier returned from his last deployment in Iraq he had difficulty reintegrating, including marital problems, the source told ABC News, . But officials concluded that he had worked through those issues before deploying to Afghanistan.

The shooting occurred at 3 a.m. in three houses in two villages in the Panjway district of southern Kandahar province, an area that was once a Taliban safe haven but has recently become more safe after a surge of troops in 2009.

The soldier left the base in the middle of the night and wore night-vision goggles during the alleged rampage, according to a source.

The first village was more than a mile south of the base. While there, he allegedly killed four people in the first house. In the second house, he allegedly killed 11 family members -- four girls, four boys and three adults.

He then walked back to another village past his base where he allegedly killed one more person, according to a member of the Afghan investigation team and ABC News' interviews with villagers.

All of the victims were shot in their homes, according to villagers and the Afghan president's office.

Video from the scene show blood-splattered floors and walls inside a villagers home and blood-soaked bodies of victims, including the elderly and young children, wrapped in blankets and placed in the backseat of a van. Some of the bodies appear to have been burned.

John Kirby, a Pentagon spokesman, said officials "don't know what his [soldier's] motivation was. We are looking into that."

After the alleged shooting spree, it's believed the soldier returned to the base on his own and calmly turned himself in. He remains in NATO custody. One source told ABC News that the soldier had "lawyered up" and declined to talk.

Because of the soldier's role as supporting security for the special operations forces, he is not believed to have known the victims. But it's not clear whether the alleged attack was spontaneous and unprovoked.

Shooting in Afghanistan

The Taliban vowed revenge against "sick-minded American savages" after the mass killing.

The group said it would "take revenge from the invaders and the savage murderers for every single martyr," according to a statement posted on its website, the Times of London reported.

The fear now is that this latest incident could set off a fresh wave of violence.

The attack comes just as outrage stemming from burning of several Korans by members of the U.S. military seemed to be calming down.

The U.S. Embassy in Kabul has warned foreigners to keep a low profile.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai called it "an assassination, one that cannot be forgiven."

The Afghan parliament has passed a resolution in protest of the killings, and asked for a public trial of the U.S. soldier.

U.S. officials were quick to condemn the attack Sunday.

"I offer my profound regret and deepest condolences to the victims and their families," Gen. John Allen, head of NATO forces in Afghanistan, said in a statement.

"This deeply appalling incident in no way represents the values of ISAF [International Security Assistance Force] and coalition troops or the abiding respect we feel for the Afghan people."

NATO has launched its own investigation, and Karzai has sent his delegation to Kandahar for its own inquiry.

The White House said Sunday that Obama called "President Karzai to express his shock and sadness at the reported killing and wounding of Afghan civilians. President Obama extended his condolences to the people of Afghanistan, and made clear his Administration's commitment to establish the facts as quickly as possible and to hold fully accountable anyone responsible. The president reaffirmed our deep respect for the Afghan people and the bonds between our two countries."
http://news.yahoo.com/soldier-held-a...-abc-news.html
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:56   #32
Richard
Quiet Professional

Joshua Foust is a fellow at the American Security Project and the author of Afghanistan Journal: Selections from Registan.net. He is a member of the Atlantic Council's Young Atlanticist Working Group, and used to work as a civilian cultural advisor for the U.S. Army.

Richard

Mass Slaughter Shocking, But Not Surprising
Joshua Foust, 13 Mar 2012

The shocking murder last weekend of 16 Afghan civilians -- 9 of them children -- by a U.S. soldier is raising many questions about the war. Coming right after the accidental burning of several Qurans at a U.S. base last month, which sparked mass protests across the country, it seems reasonable to ask: what is coming next?

The sad answer is that there probably won't be a huge public reaction to the killings. The burning of the Qurans -- which the U.S. claims was accidental -- was a fresh outrage to many Afghans.

While the Taliban often claims the U.S. disrespects Islam and wants to destroy it, few Afghans had any real reason to believe that in their daily lives. The Quran burning shocked the Afghan public enough for some political opportunists to whip up protests in response.

In contrast, Sunday's mass murder is not a new outrage for Afghanistan. While the deliberate killing of civilians is (thankfully) rare, many Afghans do not distinguish between accidental and deliberate civilian death.

Last May, U.S. helicopters in Kunar province came under rocket fire from insurgents; in responding they accidentally fired back at what turned out to be children gathering firewood, killing 9.

General Petraeus was quick to apologize for the incident, but nevertheless the reaction in Kabul was angry and resentful: many simply could not believe that children could be accidentally mistaken for insurgents. Sunday's mass killing is still shocking and upsetting -- but it is no longer surprising.

Sunday's mass murder, in other words, is not a game-changing event. The game has already changed, and many Afghans are not surprised when the U.S. kills a bunch of civilians.

Al-jazeera interviewed some of the survivors and uncovered a darker angle as well: one reason the victims did not resist is that they were used to the so-called "night raids" -- nighttime special operations raids on housing compounds. They were so used to Americans kicking in the doors to their homes and even shooting their guns that at first the rampage didn't seem strange.

So where does the war go from here? A huge challenge facing President Obama is that the U.S. is fighting one war while the insurgency is fighting a very different one.

The U.S. war is obsessed with the traditional metrics of warfare: holding territory, killing or capturing bad guys, exacting details of building roads, schools, and hospitals. The insurgency, on the other hand, is obsessed with influence, undermining confidence in the government, and creating the perception that the U.S. is at war with Islam.

Put simply, the U.S. never put in place the strategic and political framework to make much headway in Afghanistan. Despite the renewed push for negotiations with the Taliban, there is no political strategy for the country. There is no end state for the war, either -- right now, the plan is to drawdown to about 20,000 troops or so -- similar to troop levels in 2008 -- and stay that way for the indefinite future. That's not a strategy, and it's not a plan.

Because there is no political strategy for the war -- nothing that takes Afghan and Taliban politics into consideration -- the U.S. has no concept of how to manage or react to the political consequences of incidents like Sunday's rampage. That's why the military was clueless in responding to last month's Quran burnings, or to January's Marine urination scandal, or to the "kill team" in Kandahar last year.

At this point, there is little the U.S. can do to salvage the situation in Afghanistan. Sunday's mass killing is tragic but it is not a game-changing event. Focusing on a long-term commitment to working through Afghanistan politics is a good start -- de-emphasizing the military's role in the conflict and shifting to a politically and socially engaged role would actually address some of these shortcomings.

But shifting Afghanistan from a military engagement to a political one would, by design, extend U.S. operations there. An ABC News-Washington Post poll released Monday shows 60% of Americans no longer think the war is worth the costs. From the public's perspective, the house of cards is falling and the U.S. would do best to just pull out and cut their losses.

Ultimately, Afghans will suffer the consequences -- of Sunday's raid, of the war, of America's withdrawal from the region. Abandoning Afghanistan will impose huge costs in Afghanistan but the last ten years of directionless fighting has left Americans tired and frustrated with a war that seems to go nowhere but down. There needs to be a long-term strategy for the country but, especially now, it probably won't happen.

http://americansecurityproject.org/
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 17:09   #33
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Ultimately, Afghans will suffer the consequences -- of Sunday's raid, of the war, of America's withdrawal from the region. Abandoning Afghanistan will impose huge costs in Afghanistan but the last ten years of directionless fighting has left Americans tired and frustrated with a war that seems to go nowhere but down. There needs to be a long-term strategy for the country but, especially now, it probably won't happen.
It's time to pack up and go home,let's not have to lose ONE more American soldiers life for a country that doesn't give a shit about all we've done for them........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 17:40   #34
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
...a country that doesn't give a shit about all we've done for them...
Teddy,

Some do, some don't.

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 21:35   #35
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Teddy,

Some maybe, most don't.

And so it goes...

Richard
More like this actually........
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

Old 03-13-2012, 21:40   #36
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
More like this actually........
"Nation-building" is like sausage-making! The US made some errors in the beginning as to what we were trying to create - errors that are difficult, if not impossible to overcome, IMHO.
Old 03-13-2012, 22:17   #37
CRad
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Can you name an incident in which the news was "spun" by Fox News?
Depends on what you are going to believe. FOX spins to the right every bit as much as MSNBC spins to the left. Aside from that anything involving the military is big freaking news. You know that as well as anyone. The 82nd Airborne is being referred to as special ops these days because they "can respond at a moments notice." The GD Rangers are being called Special Forces because they are not COSCOM guys....what the hell?!?!

Seriously, Dusty... when did we take sides in this bullshit??? The only thing we've cared about is the truth. remember the support guy down in Panama who hid in the saw grass and claimed to be SF?
Old 03-13-2012, 22:45   #38
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

While I think Fox does spin to the right, at least a bit... it is totally impossible for ANY news outlet to spin as far to the RIGHT as MSNBC does to the LEFT!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:05   #39
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
While I think Fox does spin to the right, at least a bit... it is totally impossible for ANY news outlet to spin as far to the RIGHT as MSNBC does to the LEFT!
Zonie

Talking about all of this spinning just makes me dizzy,lets just clean up our act and get the f*ck out of there before any more American life's are lost in a country that doesn't really give a shit......... Too many American life's already have been lost and you know the minute we leave the Taliban will take over and the 10 years we've spent there will be remembered as another Vietnam......... Only thank God it's not 60 thousand soldiers lost like it was then............

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 03-14-2012, 08:39   #40
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

IAW MSNBC...
http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news...panetta-speech

Quote:
In an incident that underlined just how high tensions were running during Leon Panetta's trip to Afghanistan on Wednesday, around 200 Marines were asked to leave their weapons outside the tent where the U.S. Defense Secretary was set to speak, reporters there said.

"All I know is I was told to get the weapons out," Sergeant Major Brandon Hall told The New York Times. Asked why, he replied, "Somebody got itchy, that’s all I’ve got to say. Somebody got itchy; we just adjust."
According to the newspaper, the Marines who were waiting were abruptly told by their commander to get up, leave weapons, including M16 and M-4 automatic rifles and 9 mm pistols and return unarmed.Hall said he was acting on orders from superiors, the Times reported.

Disarming in this way was noteworthy, according to NBC News' chief Pentagon correspondent Jim Miklaszewski.

He told NBC's Chuck Todd that the move was "highly unusual" and that Marines in a combat zone are always supposed to have weapons within their reach.Msnb.com staff contributed to this report.
I am utterly speechless. It's time for me to go home...and retire.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:21   #41
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Dudge headlines that a car bomb exploded as Panetta arrived. Hope those Marines won't need their weapons.

Will add link when available.....LINK

Quote:
A suspected car bomb attack has taken place at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan, Sky Sources have revealed.

The explosion came as US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta flew into Camp Bastion. It is believed that Mr Panetta was still landing or had landed at the time of the alleged attack, but it is not clear if he was a target.

Sky's Stuart Ramsay said the explosion was caused when a vehicle drove on to the runway either during or after the landing.

Sky Sources have been told the explosion was caused by the driver of the vehicle. An investigation has now been launched into the driver's identity.

The driver, who appears to have survived the attack, has been taken into custody and is being treated for burns.It was not clear whether Mr Panetta was a specific target or not. Sky Sources said the explosion did appear to be an "attack of some description".

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 18:14   #42
stfesta
Quiet Professional

Did anyone mention that President Obama called the shooting at Fort Hood (by a muslim) "Work place violence" and the shootings in Afghanistan (by a non-muslim) "Murder"?

Just a thought.
sf
Old 03-14-2012, 18:40   #43
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Workplace Violence & Murder?

Pres. Obama AKA Barry Soetoro is a Muslim at heart....TK
Old 03-14-2012, 19:08   #44
Dusty
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
Pres. Obama AKA Barry Soetoro is a Muslim at heart....TK
The thing about Muslims is, according to their religious doctrine, anything goes in any attempts to propagate Islam or convert/destroy infidels, right? So, how would you ever know for sure whether a guy was a Muslim-even somebody in an extreme position of political power?

A guy could mascarade as a Christian, Buddhist or whatever for years if he were on a mission for Allah.

Of course, somebody like that would have most likely been raised as a Muslim, and would have been indoctrinated by radicals to believe in the necessity of destroying America's status quo.
Old 03-14-2012, 21:17   #45
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

It is workplace violence.
CloseDanger is offline   Reply With Quote