Old 10-26-2009, 20:25   #631
dadof18x'er
Guerrilla

[QUOTE=dadof18x'er;290886]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
On the topic of water and filtration:

here's a water purifier my wife researched and ordered, it works by
gravity flow and supposedly gets all the contaminants...

http://www.preparedplanet.com/Berkey-Water-Filters.html

for those interested we have now started using this filter and I am really
impressed with its simplicity. The water tastes good and according to the
specs it leaves the desirable minerals.

The Survival Mom
Old 12-20-2009, 13:21   #632
Pete
Quiet Professional

The Survival Mom

The Survival Mom

http://thesurvivalmom.com/

Kinda' a fun site, some good articles and I liked the PET bottle storage and solar oven. Worth a look see.

Old 12-24-2009, 13:03   #633
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
(2nd times a charm.)

Thought I was prepared for the "Ice Storm" that hit. Woa was I wrong,
but knew it would be okay.
In a 24 hour peroid, my AO was turned upside down.

I learned that when one is alone in bed at night, with ice falling, power lines snapping, and transformers lighting up the night sky, there are no worries...
"The back-up plan" was going to take effect:
(also, red-neck engineering comes in handy right about now!)

Needless to say after four days of no heat, power or running water, (and when wanting to sacrifie a lamb in the front yard to the "power-gods",) the truth becomes clear...

Always have a "Back-Up Plan!"

Mine saved my a** from becoming a casulty popsicle.

Hence the reality of this story...this thread saved my a**.
Here it is two yeaars later, and conditions outside are the same as the aforementioned Ice-Storm. Significant precip the last five hours, increasing gusty winds now at 50mph, and the temp has dropped to freezing as of 14:00. Now for the real blow, the next fours hours are predicted rapidly falling temps and from 4-10 inches of snow/ freezing rain, due to the low pressure system hovering in the atmosphere.

Went out again early this morning to get last min. items, but thankful to be prepared in case me and sis lose power again. Have all readiness items out and checked, operator manuals are with in reach, as is the Pennslyvania Dutch 'nog is chilling, just in case.

Here is to being warm, Merry Christmas!!!

Holly

AlpinAire Product
Old 12-24-2009, 13:23   #634
Pete
Quiet Professional

AlpinAire Product

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
Found this link, dont know anythign about the product, gonna have to try it

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...1&Sp=C&topnav=
It's an AlpinAire Product. AlpinAire and Mountain House offer a similar product.

The Mountain House Beef Stew tastes just like the LRRP Beef Stew.

Any outdoor store like Gander Mountain, etc should have a food section with individual meals from both.

Individual meals are handy, get some and try them out.

Having a few days worth would be nice but a large supply would be pricey. A case or two of mixed meat # 10 cans would be great for using with home stored rice and beans.

Powdered eggs in # 10 cans are also good.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/pow...leeggscan.aspx

warmth
Old 12-24-2009, 13:31   #635
98G
bonum medicina malis locis

warmth

There is prepared in a kit bag and prepared at home. This post is being prepared at home for warmth. Living in the mountains, power does go out. It has been out here for up to 2 weeks in a bad snow storm. Most fireplaces look pretty but do little to heat.

MMO is to suggest that your home have a simple solution like a radiant heat stove/oven. I looked for a German one but could only get Finnish in this area -- Tulikivi. Stoking it for 2-4 hours keeps the house warm for 24. Many people have Franklin stoves which are great while burning, but not practical to keep stoked all night. Tulikivis weigh over 5000 lbs and heat up soap stone channels to keep the heat radiating for maximum time.

Of course, I should point out, have some wood cut -- even if you are surrounded by woods. It needs to dry. Devil is in the details.

If trying to stay warm out of doors, and you have a number of people, warmest night I ever spent was -4 F outside in a para-tepee with 7 fellow winter survival candidates. So if you have an old parachute, or something that makes a good tent (maybe a tent) and friends, it works.

Merry Christmas.

The two easiest things to spend; someone else's time and someone else's money.

Old 12-24-2009, 13:41   #636
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98G View Post
There is prepared in a kit bag and prepared at home. This post is being prepared at home for warmth. Living in the mountains, power does go out. It has been out here for up to 2 weeks in a bad snow storm. Most fireplaces look pretty but do little to heat.

MMO is to suggest that your home have a simple solution like a radiant heat stove/oven. I looked for a German one but could only get Finnish in this area -- Tulikivi. Stoking it for 2-4 hours keeps the house warm for 24. Many people have Franklin stoves which are great while burning, but not practical to keep stoked all night. Tulikivis weigh over 5000 lbs and heat up soap stone channels to keep the heat radiating for maximum time.

Of course, I should point out, have some wood cut -- even if you are surrounded by woods. It needs to dry. Devil is in the details.

If trying to stay warm out of doors, and you have a number of people, warmest night I ever spent was -4 F outside in a para-tepee with 7 fellow winter survival candidates. So if you have an old parachute, or something that makes a good tent (maybe a tent) and friends, it works.

Merry Christmas.
We utilize a gas fireplace, with fake logs, that warms the middle section of the house quite well. Also use a gas stove, for cooking with suitable items/boiling water etc...

Also have a multitude of blankets, and gear to stay warm, if sleeping in other rooms without the fireplace....and Wow. The ice is really, really coming down now.

Holly

Old 12-30-2009, 17:09   #637
peshguy
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
No, but I will be looking for them next year. Thanks for the info. Now I need to find/make an actvated charcoal filter to put downstream from this one. (Chemically contaminated well water at the new house, lost the lake I depended on when we moved, now I'm stuck on city water and have to have a more elaborate emergency plan. )

Just a thought but can you set up rain catch barrels or multiple hot water heater tanks in your house/condo? Both are cheap and look normal in the city/suburb and can hold a lot of water...

Old 12-31-2009, 09:05   #638
Defender968
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by peshguy View Post
Just a thought but can you set up rain catch barrels or multiple hot water heater tanks in your house/condo? Both are cheap and look normal in the city/suburb and can hold a lot of water...
I wouldn't recommend the hot water tank approach for storing water long term, they rust pretty bad especially if you don't drain them frequently, food grade plastic tanks would be a much better solution.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:23   #639
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Hide it in plain sight.

http://www.composters.com/rain-barrels.php

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc

Old 12-31-2009, 13:45   #640
peshguy
Asset

That is were I got mt rain catch barrel, blends right in with the house. During a recent blackout I noticed that the same houses that had something more than flashlights on at night also had rain catch barrels.

Rgr, on the rust I have one rigged to feed the other and drain both when I change the fire alarm batteries and test the auto sump pump in the basement.

Last edited by peshguy; 12-31-2009 at 13:49.

Old 12-31-2009, 15:25   #641
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
I noticed that the same houses that had something more than flashlights on at night also had rain catch barrels.
Bring them a pan of brownies and get to know them....

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc

Old 12-31-2009, 15:37   #642
armymom1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender968 View Post
I wouldn't recommend the hot water tank approach for storing water long term, they rust pretty bad especially if you don't drain them frequently, food grade plastic tanks would be a much better solution.
Two solutions. Plastic pickle barrels. My dtr has a number of them. Uses two for composting. She has 4 more, one at each corner of her new house. In the process of hiding them behind plants. Each barrel now has a spigot at the bottom attached to a ball valve that a hose can be attached to.

I was in Home Depot today and saw some very nice looking rain catchment barrels. One was red clay colored, the other a sand pebble texture. Both were flat backed to stand up against a wall. One can purchase diverter system from the rain gutter to the barrel.

A ground floor condo one can use an umbrella as a catchment system with enough plastic hosing..make sure that whatever you use is "food safe" meaning that NO plastic chemical crap gets into your drinking water. One can use an umbrella, a funnel and hose to fill a bathtub in an emergency. You just need to look around at what is at hand and think outside the box.
AM

Old 01-01-2010, 08:33   #643
MAB32

Now those boiling water kill viruses. Like I had stated before, I am looking for a filter that will either destroy thing such as ALL viruses. I have a river running buy my house that once caught fire and has polio also in it. The bacteria rate is impossible for fishing and swimming. We have have people all the time Kayak down there and almost always get/catch a virus or somenth creepy. Had another guy who recievd a cut on his foot which would be know big deal. 6 days later they almost lost him aNow, does any one of these aforementiond water filters are capable to also kill viruses? Like I had stated before, I am looking for a filter that will either destroy every thing in the waters such as ALL viruses. I have a river running buy my house that once caught fire and has polio also in it. The bacteria rate is skyhigh.

It is so bad here that there are no fishing and no swimmiing signs every where cannot possibley and their are signs up statintg their is that ther are no for fishing and swimming. We have people all the time Kayaking down there and cathinget/catch a virus or somenthing creepy. Had another guy who recievd a cut on his foot which would not behave been big thing if it were to have happened on landon lsndbe a serious injury. 6 days later they almost lost him and had . They did remove his leg however up to the hip. So that is my immediate water supply withe next one being whithinnd had . They did remove his leg however up to the hip. So that is my immediate water supply.

Mountain Property
Old 01-01-2010, 11:07   #644
Defender968
SF Candidate

Mountain Property

So my wife and I will be taking a little vacation in the near future to the mountains for a little R&R, while there we're going to look for a vacation/retirement/SHTF property.

Our vision for this property is to be more than 25 acres, not terribly steep, but with some good contours and some ridgelines but also some flatter areas. We're not looking in the mountains proper but a little east of the mountains.

What we're looking for is a property that has water originating on it (spring and or well), that preferably has some open areas already cleared that could be used for farming or pastureland, but with the majority of the land being mostly timbered. It needs to be accessible enough for building but not have a paved road on it. We want it off the beaten path enough to avoid mass migrations should there be any from major cities during a disaster, but still within 30 miles of a hospital with an ER.

Our idea is to put a cabin on it now, then over time build a retirement home there. Currently I've been looking at properties that share boundaries with public land, either game land or national forest, as that gives me easy access to hunting, as well as the guarantee of not being developed, however I was thinking about it and having property that borders game land/national forest means there is a legitimate reason people would be on neighboring land who I wouldn’t know, which presents some risk if we have a place up there that isn't occupied 24/7/365. My thought is we would mark the boundaries with the standard No Trespassing/no hunting signs during Non SHTF times, which would limit incursions from hunters and hikers for the most part as I think hunters and hikers are usually pretty good about respecting private land for the most part. Then we would take those signs down to try to blend in during SHTF times.

Now we’ll use good OPSEC to minimize who knows where the property is and what’s on it, and have the signs posted to hopefully minimize unwanted incursions, but with those things in mind anyone have any thoughts on pros v.s. cons of bordering public land for SHTF times?

Not having neighbors at all during SHTF times could be good if you don't know and/or can't trust the neighbors. However good/trustworthy neighbors are obviously also invaluable as another ring of defense as well as a QRF with proper commo and preplanned agreements in place before SHTF or shortly thereafter.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:28   #645
wet dog

Defender968-

If your wife doesn't mind cold winters, the isolation of the Rocky Mountians, (ID, MT, UT, WY, CO, AZ, NM) is a nice place to start. Southwest is a bit milder for seniors.

If wanting to stay in SC, NC, TN, KY, WV, those mountains could quickly be over-run with migrating refugees of the east coast.

WD