Old 02-27-2004, 20:00   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Al Mar Knives

Anyone else in here a fan of old Al Mar Knives?

If so, I have a couple I will post pics of.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 22:13   #2
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

I have always wanted to buy one, but have been told that there quality has dramatically decreased in recent years.

To answer your question: YES, I am a fan of the older Al Mar knives.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 22:23   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Al Mar Pathfinder

A large Kukri configuration, great steel, very sharp, an excellent chopper. This one is mine, what more can I say?

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004_0226_112033aab.jpg (32.5 KB, 546 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 02-27-2004, 22:34   #4
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Hold on while I wipe the drool off of my monitor.

Damn nice knife.

How long have you had it?

What is your expericence with Al Mar's quality?

Thanks for the pic TR
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 22:51   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Thank you.

14 years or so.

Used to be among the best.

I have met the new owners at the SHOT Show, but have have not tried one.

One of the knife experts on here may have more info.

Another teaser for you.

Fixed blade SERE, great balance, cuts very well, love the grip shape.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004_0226_111615aab.jpg (32.6 KB, 674 views)

Old 02-28-2004, 09:48   #6
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Now I see what you meant in an earlier post when you said that stain resistance wasn't an issue.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 10:26   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Air.177
Now I see what you meant in an earlier post when you said that stain resistance wasn't an issue.
Cuts just as well like that as it did clean.

Already had professional instruction on how to remove that if I choose to.

I have no comments on what the stains are or where they came from.

TR

Old 02-28-2004, 11:22   #8
Air.177
Quiet Professional

I think it adds Character myself.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 14:18   #9
Razor
Quiet Professional

How do you like the smooth grip scales?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 14:58   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
How do you like the smooth grip scales?
Can get slippery when very wet or dirty, but the holes help with the grip.

Since Al passed on, there don't get out much anymore.

I am sure that Mr. Harsey could do better, if it were a redesign job.

TR

Old 12-15-2005, 20:57   #11
brianksain
Guerrilla

I have an original SERE from back in the day.

Nice.
Old 12-15-2005, 21:11   #12
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
A large Kukri configuration, great steel, very sharp, an excellent chopper. This one is mine, what more can I say?

TR
That's the knife my last team gave me when I retired. Except they engraved "Mother Hen" on the blade.

Guess I acted too concerned about them during Just Cause.

It's hanging on the wall right next to me as I type.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 21:32   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947
That's the knife my last team gave me when I retired. Except they engraved "Mother Hen" on the blade.

Guess I acted too concerned about them during Just Cause.

It's hanging on the wall right next to me as I type.
The ones who were having fun with frags?

TR

Old 12-15-2005, 21:44   #14
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Yep, they concerned me, especially the 'O'. And the ones that went on patrol in the hinter lands and didn't make commo on time.

Guess I was a little anal about that.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:46   #15
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Anyone else in here a fan of old Al Mar Knives?

If so, I have a couple I will post pics of.

TR
Yes, TR I am a fan of Al's knifes. I thought I posted a pictures of some of my collection, of his (3) knives that I have. Al Marr, was a friend and teammate of mine when we both served in the 17th & 12 SFG(A)s. He always brought homemade rice cakes to supplement our rations when we were in the field. They were really good compared to most C-Rats!

I'd order a knife from him, such as the Sere knife and he would put stuff like my Master Wings, SCUBA Badge and the Regimental crest on them. So, I have a matching set of SEREs like yours, and the SERE folder with the badges on them. I also have his "Eagle" folder with my initals and the Regimental Crest on the bolsters. Shown below.:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlMarr_4.jpg (82.7 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg AlMarr_3.jpg (87.8 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg AlMarr_2.jpg (101.0 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg AlMarrSERE.jpg (95.0 KB, 325 views)

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.

Last edited by Trip_Wire (RIP); 12-16-2005 at 11:52.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote