Go Back   Professional Soldiers > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 14:25   #31
RB64
Asset
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 6
Salmon

Grilled wild salmon w/EVOO and herbed sea salt; steamed broccoli w/lemon; ginger lentil rice (package); and blackberries. Colorful plate.
__________________
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
RB64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 15:34   #32
Susa
Guerrilla
 
Susa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 195
Grilled lamb chops (marinated with freshly squeezed meyer lemons, fresh chopped rosemary & mint, with a little garlic and a smidge of thyme), peas and fingerling potatoes (look like little dog turds- but actually are amazing) freshly baked rye bread (from bakery, of course) and strawberries and blueberries. Sunday night dinner!!
Susa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 16:30   #33
craigepo
Quiet Professional
 
craigepo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Mo
Posts: 1,541
will probably do some jamacian jerk pork. Pretty easy to cook, hard part is putting the sauce together.
__________________
"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his gods?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay


"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 17:23   #34
adal
Quiet Professional
 
adal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 301
TS,
Zest of 2 lemons, juice of same, olive oil, salt and pepper. We would have done more but we ran out of thyme.
__________________
A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't. - Recent fortune cookie
adal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 17:35   #35
Sten
Guerrilla Chief
 
Sten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 695
Peruvian chicken is finished dishes are done and the leftovers are shredded and packed for lunches tomorrow.

TS, What do you have on making puff pastry simple? I can see these chicken left overs becoming world class empanadas if I can unlock the pastry riddle.
__________________
"Tyranny ain't going to happen, there's too many Jedi currently in the gene pool. The only path to tyranny is to kill all the Jedi, that ain't going to happen either."

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 17:37   #36
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional
 
Team Sergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by adal View Post
TS,
Zest of 2 lemons, juice of same, olive oil, salt and pepper. We would have done more but we ran out of thyme.
I have a great recipe for an herb crusted chicken breast and a lemon beurre blanc that's out of this world.... (I'll bring it with me when I come out your way!)
__________________
"The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy, but where they are."
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 17:51   #37
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional
 
Team Sergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sten View Post
Peruvian chicken is finished dishes are done and the leftovers are shredded and packed for lunches tomorrow.

TS, What do you have on making puff pastry simple? I can see these chicken left overs becoming world class empanadas if I can unlock the pastry riddle.
I use puff pastry out of the box......

I'm a French trained "culinary" cook, you need to have a chat with a P&B cook. (Patisserie and Baking)
__________________
"The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy, but where they are."
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 18:06   #38
adal
Quiet Professional
 
adal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 301
We're ready.
__________________
A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't. - Recent fortune cookie
adal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 19:16   #39
x SF med
Quiet Professional
 
x SF med's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In transit somewhere
Posts: 4,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
I don't know what to do tonight.... the grill is definitely the preferred method of cooking.... (there is this odd color to the sky and this big yellow thing hanging up there - I believe it might be an alien spaceship or something... there are no wet things dropping from the heavens either...

Chicken or buffalo?
Asparagus or Broccoli?
Definitely Yukon Gold potatoes and onions (in foil over the coals)
Salad or no Salad?

Decisions, Decisions.... Luckily,I have a long day to think about it and figure out what to prepare...
Long day turned out longer than expected... had to rebuild a lawnmower prior to cutting the yard... just got done with both tasks - hungry and don't want to cook now... wife offered to take me out if I shower because I smell like gasoline and grass clippings - essentially like a goat wearing an ied.
__________________
In the business of war, there is no invariable stategic advantage (shih) which can be relied upon at all times.
Sun-Tzu, "The Art of Warfare"

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 17:13   #40
Gypsy
Area Commander
 
Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post

The broccoli parmesan is my idea,

TS, how did you make yours? I break up the Broccoli, toss with EVOO, lemon pepper, a squeeze or two of fresh lemon (I'm on a lemon kick) garlic, a little sea salt and freshly grated parmesan...bake 350 for about 20 minutes or so.
__________________
My Heroes wear camouflage.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 17:21   #41
Snaquebite
Area Commander
 
Snaquebite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Raeford, NC
Posts: 3,374
Tea Kettles
__________________
D-3129 Life

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 16:58   #42
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional
 
Team Sergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
TS, how did you make yours? I break up the Broccoli, toss with EVOO, lemon pepper, a squeeze or two of fresh lemon (I'm on a lemon kick) garlic, a little sea salt and freshly grated parmesan...bake 350 for about 20 minutes or so.
Blanch and shock.

Cut the broccoli into crowns. Large pot of boiling water and a bowl of ice water. Place a handful of broccoli in the boiling water, this takes maybe 1 min depending on how much water and how much broccoli you're using. Boil until just fork tender, then into the ice water. Stop the cooking and remove from water and place in fridge until ready to use.

Now it's ready for a very quick saute in butter, season, plate and sprinkle with Parm and lemon zest.
__________________
"The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy, but where they are."
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 17:03   #43
Gypsy
Area Commander
 
Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Blanch and shock.

Cut the broccoli into crowns. Large pot of boiling water and a bowl of ice water. Place a handful of broccoli in the boiling water, this takes maybe 1 min depending on how much water and how much broccoli you're using. Boil until just fork tender, then into the ice water. Stop the cooking and remove from water and place in fridge until ready to use.

Now it's ready for a very quick saute in butter, season, plate and sprinkle with Parm and lemon zest.
Very nice, will try this next time...thanks for sharing!
__________________
My Heroes wear camouflage.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 15:31   #44
mark46th
Quiet Professional
 
mark46th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orange, Ca.
Posts: 4,719
Grilled wild boar loin- Marinated in what was described to me as a Korean style marinade.

1/2 Cup Soy sauce
1Tbsp Chili Oil
1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp lemon zest
1Tbsp lemon juice

I use a meat tenderizer to poke holes in the loin. You can use a fork if you don't have one. Marinate for at least 2 hours. Grill like a steak until 150 degrees internal temp. I let it rest for 20-30 minutes then slice it into 1/2 inch slices, pour a little of the marinade over it, sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced scallions, serve. A nice cab or Pinot goes down well with it...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 16:43   #45
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional
 
Team Sergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Grilled wild boar loin- Marinated in what was described to me as a Korean style marinade.

1/2 Cup Soy sauce
1Tbsp Chili Oil
1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp lemon zest
1Tbsp lemon juice

I use a meat tenderizer to poke holes in the loin. You can use a fork if you don't have one. Marinate for at least 2 hours. Grill like a steak until 150 degrees internal temp. I let it rest for 20-30 minutes then slice it into 1/2 inch slices, pour a little of the marinade over it, sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced scallions, serve. A nice cab or Pinot goes down well with it...
I do almost the same thing with flank steak except use lime where you use lemon and a couple tbsp of Worcestershire sauce also. You use chili oil, I use red pepper flakes.
__________________
"The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy, but where they are."
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22.



Copyright 2004-2019 by Professional Soldiers
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies