Go Back   Professional Soldiers > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 13:58   #16
Razor
Quiet Professional
 
Razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4,355
IIRC, LTG Boykin took a .51 round to the shoulder/torso in Grenada and not only survived but continued on active duty for a couple more decades. Perhaps we should field a .75 caliber service rifle to ensure "one shot-one kill" capability for every soldier.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 14:19   #17
JimP
Quiet Professional
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: State of confusion
Posts: 1,189
Not so sure the 6.8 was all it claimed to be anyways. Anyone recall the "oh shit..." moment when a bunch were cut open for ballistic analysis?

and - to correct a prior post, a heart shot isn't going to drop you DRT (dead right there). You'll still have 25-30 seconds of oxygenated blood in your system with which to wreak havoc on your opponent. That's a life tim ein a gunfight.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 18:15   #18
longrange1947
Quiet Professional
 
longrange1947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 3,533
Actually there is a vid of a woman shot in the heart still alive after 2 minutes. That was a .357 mag as well. Something to think about. As has been stated, some will fall over and die, and some have a will that lets them live for a while after catastrophic bodily insult.

I stopped listening to "No knock down power" stories long ago.
__________________
Hold Hard guys

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 20:27   #19
The Reaper
Quiet Professional
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,440
I'm liking the .300 AAC Blackout right now.

Might need a new upper in that caliber. Only change is a new barrel. Cycles supersonic and subsonic loads without any tinkering or changing anything. Accurate. Inexpensive components and ammo. Light bullets work well with pistol/carbine powders like 2400, H110, W296, etc. Appears to be pretty reliable. Relatively good power up close. Almost as quiet as an MP-5SD with subsonic ammo. Works well from a very short barrel.

Good close to medium range caliber, especially in a shorty with a suppressor.

TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:55   #20
HOLLiS
Area Commander
 
HOLLiS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
IIRC, LTG Boykin took a .51 round to the shoulder/torso in Grenada and not only survived but continued on active duty for a couple more decades. Perhaps we should field a .75 caliber service rifle to ensure "one shot-one kill" capability for every soldier.
I think the ideal infantry battle rifle would have the rate of fire of a Vulcan, the impact of a 105 and the weight of a Red Rider BB gun.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:58   #21
HOLLiS
Area Commander
 
HOLLiS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I'm liking the .300 AAC Blackout right now.

Might need a new upper in that caliber. Only change is a new barrel. Cycles supersonic and subsonic loads without any tinkering or changing anything. Accurate. Inexpensive components and ammo. Light bullets work well with pistol/carbine powders like 2400, H110, W296, etc. Appears to be pretty reliable. Relatively good power up close. Almost as quiet as an MP-5SD with subsonic ammo. Works well from a very short barrel.

Good close to medium range caliber, especially in a shorty with a suppressor.

TR
WOW, I went to the site of that round. The rifle they had was very sexy. Curious have messed with the 6.5 Grendal?
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 16:57   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS View Post
WOW, I went to the site of that round. The rifle they had was very sexy. Curious have messed with the 6.5 Grendal?
I have shot the Grendel and for a time, thought I wanted one.

My gunsmith talked me out of it when he gave me a reality check on the capacity of the case being inadequate to pack enough powder to make the desired velocities. In 6.5, he prefers the .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore.

TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 17:57   #23
HOLLiS
Area Commander
 
HOLLiS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I have shot the Grendel and for a time, thought I wanted one.

My gunsmith talked me out of it when he gave me a reality check on the capacity of the case being inadequate to pack enough powder to make the desired velocities. In 6.5, he prefers the .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore.

TR
Thank you. On paper the Grendal looks great. 7mm Ballistic Coefficients is about as good as it gets, but on paper and reality can be two different things.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 18:34   #24
Peregrino
Quiet Professional
 
Peregrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Occupied Pineland
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS View Post
Thank you. On paper the Grendal looks great. 7mm Ballistic Coefficients is about as good as it gets, but on paper and reality can be two different things.
FWIW - I don't know that the Grendal has ever won a 1000 yd. match. It takes velocity to wring everything available out of a 6.5. The Grendal is more about hype than powder capacity. Me - I'm looking at .260 (want one) and 7mm WSM (got one - as soon as the gunsmith finishes it).
__________________
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 18:46   #25
HOLLiS
Area Commander
 
HOLLiS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Posts: 1,495
Curious on the 260 Rem, are you going to use a AR 10 platform?
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 19:31   #26
Peregrino
Quiet Professional
 
Peregrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Occupied Pineland
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS View Post
Curious on the 260 Rem, are you going to use a AR 10 platform?
DPMS.
__________________
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 19:36   #27
koz
Quiet Professional
 
koz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
FWIW - I don't know that the Grendal has ever won a 1000 yd. match. It takes velocity to wring everything available out of a 6.5. The Grendal is more about hype than powder capacity. Me - I'm looking at .260 (want one) and 7mm WSM (got one - as soon as the gunsmith finishes it).
GeneEcon has a wealth of info on the 6.5G and seems to like it. It's a capable cartridge. It's not a .260 or 6.5 CM.
To me it's a great hunting round. I have killed lots of deer (mule, white tail), Caribou and a Dall Sheep (just over 525yds). I haven't taken it elk hunting but I have no doubt it would put an elk down easily.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 19:51   #28
Peregrino
Quiet Professional
 
Peregrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Occupied Pineland
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by koz View Post
GeneEcon has a wealth of info on the 6.5G and seems to like it. It's a capable cartridge. It's not a .260 or 6.5 CM.
To me it's a great hunting round. I have killed lots of deer (mule, white tail), Caribou and a Dall Sheep (just over 525yds). I haven't taken it elk hunting but I have no doubt it would put an elk down easily.
Concur; I'm glad it meets your requirements. MOO - It's a niche round. Solve all of the issues and you have a decent 600M round that fits in an AR platform. I understand (with the right bullet [what are you using?]) it's a pretty good pig or deer hunting round too. It just doesn't fall within my parameters at the moment. Course neither does the 6.8. But I'm paying attention to TR's ruminations about the 300 AAC, doing my own research, and talking to the gunsmith. Rumor has it the hog hunting on Stewart and Benning are supposed to be well worth the trip; certainly worth another experiment to clutter up the limited space left in my new safe.
__________________
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:07   #29
koz
Quiet Professional
 
koz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Concur; I'm glad it meets your requirements. MOO - It's a niche round. Solve all of the issues and you have a decent 600M round that fits in an AR platform. I understand (with the right bullet [what are you using?]) it's a pretty good pig or deer hunting round too. It just doesn't fall within my parameters at the moment. Course neither does the 6.8. But I'm paying attention to TR's ruminations about the 300 AAC, doing my own research, and talking to the gunsmith. Rumor has it the hog hunting on Stewart and Benning are supposed to be well worth the trip; certainly worth another experiment to clutter up the limited space left in my new safe.
I've used Barnes TTSX 120grs with good success. I'm considering trying the 100gr for white tail. Its a good coyote round as well.

I think the 300AAC is a good round especially for hogs, white tail, etc. I plan on getting an upper in the future.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 19:29   #30
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lacey Washington
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by koz View Post
GeneEcon has a wealth of info on the 6.5G and seems to like it. It's a capable cartridge. It's not a .260 or 6.5 CM.
To me it's a great hunting round. I have killed lots of deer (mule, white tail), Caribou and a Dall Sheep (just over 525yds). I haven't taken it elk hunting but I have no doubt it would put an elk down easily.
Koz:

I have been shooting a number of uppers chambered for the 6.5 G since it basically came on the market. Although many would disagree, I view it as a decent 600 yard cartridge given you are using an AR-15 frame.

I don't view it as a competitie cartridge in High Power only because the velocities are pretty low but it is a very accurate cartridge and for those who hunt with an AR-15, it does a good job on meedium game.

An advantaqge to the Grendel is a huge variety of 6.5mm bullets to choose from over the entire range of the shooting sports. And it uses an AR-15 frame which many like due to size and weight.

The Grendel had problems but I think most of them have been solved with the exception of a decent magazine. Only one place makes Grendel mags and if you look at the Grendel forum you see many posts about magazines not working properly.

Just understand that the Grendel case holds about 30 grains of powder and that you are restricted by a 5.56 magazine length.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:56.



Copyright 2004-2019 by Professional Soldiers
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies