Go Back   Professional Soldiers « > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 05-20-2004, 12:34   #31
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Is it only me...... or does Airborne Lawyer make anyone else feel really ignorant with his brilliant/well researched posts?
He is one smart dude.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:43   #32
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by Airbornelawyer
Talisker comes from the Isle of Skye, which is in their recruiting area. Terry's recommendation, Springbank, comes from Campbeltown, though, which is actually in Argyllshire proper. Glen Scotia also comes from there. Laphroaig comes from the Isle of Islay, part of Argyllshire. While Argyllshire has a number of distilleries, Clynelish is the only one in Sutherland.

Glenfiddich and Macallan come from Banffshire, which is Gordon Highlanders recruiting area. The Gordons are now part of The Highlanders Regiment, formed from the amalgamation of the Seaforth, Gordon and Cameron Highlanders. So don't toast the A&SH with Glenfiddich or Macallan.
Let's be clear: I proposed Talisker because it's good stuff, not because I knew it was in their recruiting area. LOL

The Scots all look the same to me. LMAO
Old 05-20-2004, 13:13   #33
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Just you, the rest of are mature enough to understand that there things in this world we've yet to learn.

I've yet to feel ignorant for that very reason, I'm still willing to learn.

TS
Team Sergeant-

Ignorance is not a word with a necessarily "negative" connotation.

All it means is "lacking information or knowledge".... that is not a bad thing. We are ALL ignorant in many ways in life. "STUPIDÔÇŁ is the word that I use to describe the people that you seemed to picture when I originally said ignorant. I did not say that I was stupid. Trust me, I realize the value of a life long learning process.

If you did not already know the info that AL wrote in his post, then you were in fact "ignorant" of it - Just like me. Don't feel bad, in this matter, that puts you in good company(RL, me, all the other members of Aprof) IMO!! LOL

AL just tends to make me feel ignorant at a higher frequency than most, and I was complementing him on it. Upon advice from my one of my stable counselors, I will reword my original post to clarify my intent by using his exact words.

"He is one smart dude." LOL

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 05-20-2004 at 13:27.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 13:57   #34
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Team Sergeant-

Ignorance is not a word with a necessarily "negative" connotation.

All it means is "lacking information or knowledge".... that is not a bad thing. We are ALL ignorant in many ways in life. "STUPIDÔÇŁ is the word that I use to describe the people that you seemed to picture when I originally said ignorant. I did not say that I was stupid. Trust me, I realize the value of a life long learning process.

If you did not already know the info that AL wrote in his post, then you were in fact "ignorant" of it - Just like me. Don't feel bad, in this matter, that puts you in good company(RL, me, all the other members of Aprof) IMO!! LOL

AL just tends to make me feel ignorant at a higher frequency than most, and I was complementing him on it. Upon advice from my one of my stable counselors, I will reword my original post to clarify my intent by using his exact words.

"He is one smart dude." LOL
Boy, taking on TR and TS in the same week? Let no one question your gumption, Doctor! LOL

The term "ignorant" actually does has a negative connotation:

Quote:
Main Entry: ig┬Ěno┬Ěrant
Pronunciation: 'ig-n(&-)r&nt
Function: adjective
1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
2 : UNAWARE, UNINFORMED
- ig┬Ěno┬Ěrant┬Ěly adverb
- ig┬Ěno┬Ěrant┬Ěness noun
synonyms IGNORANT, ILLITERATE, UNLETTERED, UNTUTORED, UNLEARNED mean not having knowledge. IGNORANT may imply a general condition or it may apply to lack of knowledge or awareness of a particular thing <an ignorant fool> <ignorant of nuclear physics>. ILLITERATE applies to either an absolute or a relative inability to read and write <much of the population is still illiterate>. UNLETTERED implies ignorance of the knowledge gained by reading <an allusion meaningless to the unlettered>. UNTUTORED may imply lack of schooling in the arts and ways of civilization <strange monuments built by an untutored people>. UNLEARNED suggests ignorance of advanced subjects <poetry not for academics but for the unlearned masses>.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ry&va=ignorant

It comes from "ignore," and when you use it you are suggesting that the person is not just devoid of knowledge, but devoid of knowledge due to lack of effort or due care. Just my opinion.
Old 05-20-2004, 14:43   #35
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Well well counselor... I believe you are trying to paint me into a corner while sucking up to TR and TS.

Your opinion is yours to keep but it is wrong.
Did you read your own posted definition? See definition #1a 0R #2. Take your pick. I did not use the word's meaning as an attempt to imply a negative tone. It was used properly in the context of my post.

On another note, you agreed with my post that TR took exception too earlier this week, BTW! Then you conveniently let it go and slithered away. LOL Am I wrong?

BTW- I am not "taking on" TR and/or TS. I am defending my post from misinterpretation and more than capable of handling it without you playing the midget/instigator kid who tries to get all his "big" friends to get into a fight for him. I am sure they can both handle themselves without your help.

I would rather voice my opinion, get blasted, maybe learn from it if I find the "correction" to be enlightening, and move on .... than to live as an eternal kiss ass. LOL
(your turn) haha

Now someone please give more testimony on Scotch whiskey? I am interested to learn about all the brands and their quality.

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 05-20-2004 at 14:45.
Old 05-20-2004, 15:00   #36
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

OK, RL and Tooth Grinder go to your corners and sit down. Airborne, Sir, Thankyou for posting the incredible information on the fine Scottish drink. Now I want to learn as much about Scotch as I've tried to learn about steels. That said, I'm going to toast the sunsabitches with Oregon beer tonight anyway.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 15:05   #37
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
On another note, you agreed with my post that TR took exception too earlier this week, BTW! Then you conveniently let it go and slithered away. LOL Am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. I did comment that it is good to be sure you are comparing apples to apples, and I did endorse a correction you made, but that's really it IIRC. TR took exception not just with your math, but with remarks you made.

I have disagreed with TR and TS on many occasions and will allow the record to speak for itself. Now, let's get back to scotch as you proposed. Have you identified your favorite yet?
Old 05-20-2004, 15:08   #38
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
OK, RL and Tooth Grinder go to your corners and sit down.

That said, I'm going to toast the sunsabitches with Oregon beer tonight anyway.
Sorry Bill. I will do as suggested and drink a few fizzy beverages myself tonight. First... a little PT for messing up your forum.

Let's hear more personal recommendations on Scotch. Can use a knife to cut the lid off so that it fits into the edged weapons forum. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: gif pushup2.gif (674 Bytes, 287 views)
Old 05-20-2004, 15:09   #39
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

corners...
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 15:56   #40
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
corners...
Yes, Sir.
Old 05-20-2004, 18:55   #41
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

So far, no one has spelled Macallan correctly. Here is their web site:

http://www.themacallan.com/
Old 05-20-2004, 19:09   #42
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Ok, Just looked up Macallen on the net. No price listed for the thirty year old bottle but it comes in it's own traveling vault with bodyguard.
Here is a price for the gift set version:

http://www.beerliquors.com/giftbaske...an_30years.htm
Old 05-20-2004, 19:21   #43
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

We ever organize/have an AprofSoldier "team party" and I will volunteer a bottle of that RL. Gonna be hard getting You, Peoples Medic, TR, TS, BIll Harsey, etc all in one place and at one time... but never say never.
Old 05-20-2004, 19:31   #44
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
We ever organize/have an AprofSoldier "team party" and I will volunteer a bottle of that RL. Gonna be hard getting You, Peoples Medic, TR, TS, BIll Harsey, etc all in one place and at one time... but never say never.
Great idea.

All this aged liquor talk reminds me of a story:

My parents really don't drink, but my Dad always kept a liquor cabinet. In high school, I discovered this carton full of really old bottles of whiskey that my Dad had purchased during the Vietnam war when he was in the service. After my parents got divorced, my mother had put the liquor in a closet and never touched the stuff.

So I'm stealing these bottles all the time, and when I went to college, I really starting stealing them since I knew they were just going to sit in that closet forever. So I'm keeping several of the bottles, letting them age, and thinking that I'll save the oldest and best ones for a special occasion. Drink them when they're 25-30 or more years old.

Then I learned the sad truth:

Unlike wine, whiskey stops aging when it is bottled. Those bottles contained whiskey that was aged the number of years indicated on the label, and lugging them around forever did me no good.

Oh, well! You live and learn. I think I still have one bottle left. LOL

Last edited by Roguish Lawyer; 05-20-2004 at 19:33.
Old 05-20-2004, 19:31   #45
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Wait.. better be specific in my offer as I know how detail oriented some of you guys are.

I have to be invited and actually attend for the SCOTCH to make it to the party. I can just hear the phone call now...
" Saca, we are having a party in three weeks in an undisclosed location... we would appreciate you shipping the $500 bottle of scotch to _____ PO box on or before such and such date. After all, you said you would- remember" LOL