Go Back   Professional Soldiers > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 01-06-2013, 10:27   #256
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNEP View Post
I do a ton of CrossFit, and I do a lot of sit up/push up drills. I ruck about once every other week about 4 miles, I'm not trying to ruin my back before I even get in the Army.
I don't think you get it.

You will take an APFT once during SFAS. You will be rucking hard, at distances several times what you are doing, every day.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01   #257
jurisdoctor
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

You will take an APFT once during SFAS. You will be rucking hard, at distances several times what you are doing, every day.

Best of luck.

TR
Actually, I think you do get it.

The Army is possessed by this illusion that 'rucking' is some mythical enterprise requiring a great deal of practice and preparation. It's just #$%ing walking, for a while, with some weight on your back.

Continue your approach - which will make sure your body is strong and will hold together for three weeks of mild abuse. Additionally, you will peer high during team week when you can carry heavy things and your teammates who ran the ruck march are buckling.
jurisdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 14:47   #258
HNEP
Asset

I don't mean to bust balls, or be disrespectful, but my buddy is finishing up the qcourse, and said during selection he rucked like times, and while ding the star course, a obviously team week, but its nothing insane.
HNEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 14:53   #259
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNEP View Post
I don't mean to bust balls, or be disrespectful, but my buddy is finishing up the qcourse, and said during selection he rucked like times, and while ding the star course, a obviously team week, but its nothing insane.
Would you do English-speakers a favor and rephrase this? Maybe it's me, but I have NO idea what you're trying to express, or to whom you are responding (quoting works wonders for that).

Thanks.

Oh... and 'my buddy stories' are always wonderfully accepted in this forum.
Old 01-06-2013, 14:59   #260
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurisdoctor View Post

The Army is possessed by this illusion that 'rucking' is some mythical enterprise requiring a great deal of practice and preparation. It's just #$%ing walking, for a while, with some weight on your back.

Continue your approach - which will make sure your body is strong and will hold together for three weeks of mild abuse. Additionally, you will peer high during team week when you can carry heavy things and your teammates who ran the ruck march are buckling.
Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper

Best of luck.

TR
Hmmmm. Were I a candidate, I wonder which of these conflicting opinions I'd choose to follow?
Old 01-06-2013, 15:00   #261
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Hmmmm. Were I a candidate, I wonder which of these conflicting opinions I'd choose to follow?

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

I've always thought America was Great. Wouldn't it just be Great if we made it America Again?
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 16:01   #262
HNEP
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Would you do English-speakers a favor and rephrase this? Maybe it's me, but I have NO idea what you're trying to express, or to whom you are responding (quoting works wonders for that).

Thanks.

Oh... and 'my buddy stories' are always wonderfully accepted in this forum.
Wow, that was a grammatical nightmare, that is fair, I am replying off of my phone. However, he is a friend who has given me a lot of knowledge and help. I do not believe he would steer me wrong, and I was not trying to tell a 'my buddy' story, I was simply explaining my reasoning for only a small amount of rucking.
Old 01-06-2013, 16:47   #263
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

And the size of your sample group would be, for this revelation?

I guess we can get rid of that foot prep advice as well, too. Why bother, it is just walking long distances, with some weight on your back, right?

Is your advice tracking with what SWCS currently recommends for SFAS prep?

No one is suggesting running with a ruck, BTW. Just several rucks per week over the prescribed distances, with the recommended weight.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 20:46   #264
jurisdoctor
SF Candidate

Sample size being myself and most of those around me in both SFAS and the Q who consistently finish at the top of their peers physically across the board.

Additionally this comports with my athletic background outside of the military, which is far and away more challenging and accomplished.

I don't know if it comports with what SWCS recommends, and I don't really care. My goal is to give someone firsthand advice for success who is genuinely seeking. My experience has been that large bureaucratic institutions rarely lead the way in whatever sandbox they play in, this is due to the very nature of their organization.

I can tell you that in the Q we are still going on weekly 'ruck marches,' which for most of us in good shape are a waste of time.

If you've never walked with weight on, then certainly throw something on your back every now and then (as he has stated he's doing) and get your feet ready for the additional load bearing. But if you think simply 'rucking' is going to prepare you for the hours of heavy load bearing inherent in team week events you are sorely (good pun, eh?) mistaken.

Bottom line, SFAS is not that hard, it is just hard enough to cull out most of the riff raff. There are certainly better ways to prepare than others (which I encourage), but anyone who has abided a half decent training regimen will not have a problem physically.
Old 01-06-2013, 21:06   #265
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...this comports with my athletic background outside of the military, which is far and away more challenging and accomplished...
I dont know about the rest of the QPs here but I am impressed...

Stop comparing your accomplishments, whatever they be, to SF. It will be your undoing if/when you make it to a team.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-06-2013 at 21:12.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 21:52   #266
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

It's OK, let him go. He already knows all the answers and his personal life experiences are the pattern for everybody. If they pay attention to him, they can ignore institutional training programs designed to maximize throughput in favor of an extreme athlete program that's all sexy and "stuff". If he graduates the SFQC, and gets to an ODA he'll have plenty of time to figure out why he's spending his time sitting on his rucksack in the hallway wondering why nobody likes X-rays. Course his fellow X-rays who have broken the code, proven themselves, and been accepted may not appreciate him reinforcing the stereotypes they've struggled to overcome.

jurisdoctor - You're in for a rude awakening. I don't know why you enlisted or what your motivations were for selecting SF, but I think you're about to be very disillusioned. The Regiment is evolving, our mission set is changing, and within 3-4 years you will not recognize whatever you thought you were enlisting for. Good luck. To be fair though - thank you for volunteering to serve. Within your peer group you are a genuine rarity. I wish you every success. But I'm not holding my breath that you'll find "fulfillment" in SF.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:01   #267
jurisdoctor
SF Candidate

Not really looking to get into an internet forum debate here, so I'll be brief.

His question was about physical preparation, of which I know quite a bit, coupled with recent experience in the Selection process.

When it comes to UW (and most anything related to the military) I know next to nothing and am eager to learn from those that have been there before me.

And thank you, not a common choice for sure. Not looking for fulfillment, just contribution. But yes, it has been a somewhat disillusioning experience. A topic for elsewhere.

(And not that it matters, but I am not strictly speaking 'an xray').

Last edited by jurisdoctor; 01-06-2013 at 22:18.
Old 01-06-2013, 23:06   #268
HNEP
Asset

Oops

Sorry guys, I did not mean to start an argument, just simply stating what I did and why. I will go to selection give my best, and if my best is not good enough, I'll come back until it is, it's simple really.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20   #269
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
. . . physical preparation, of which I know quite a bit, coupled with recent experience in the Selection process.
. . . I know next to nothing and am eager to learn from those . . .
Not looking for fulfillment, just contribution. But yes, it has been a somewhat disillusioning experience. A topic for elsewhere.
Oh Boy! Here WE go!

I see you are an Elite mountaineer. I watch National Geographic so I get the distinction. I've also been on an SF Mountain Team and it was never anything like National Geographic My point is: we don't now (nor will anyone later) care that you are a John Roskelley if you get to a Mountain Team as the new Rope Monkey.(If you are John you still owe me a beer from the Spokane Club locker room)

Umm, did you pass "selection" or is that part of your disillusionment?
Knowing next to nothing is a good thing! Especially if you keep your mind, ears and eyes open and mouth shut (fingers too)

Contributing v. Fulfillment. Seriously, now . . . You might want to reassesses your SF motives. Contributing is good but you can do that through CFC and AER, and probably "contribute" more that way. "Fulfillment" is really what it IS about here because there's a total commitment part to SF. Think I'm kidding? Look around here at all the guys who suffer daily from the beating SF gave them over the years and yet (alone cuz their wives left em) . . . notice the gleam that comes to their eye when they think back.
My concern: Why an attorney would seek to join an SF NG unit. And from my reading of your recent posts it appears you just want the beret. You are not coming across to me as a guy who wants to hump the SF ruck. I hope I'm wrong but I don't have to worry about it. You should make sure I'm wrong or your time in SF won't be fun, won't be long, and won't look good on a resume.

It matters if you bring it up. Not "strictly speaking an x-ray" . . . So are you a special dispensation case? Being "special" in Special Forces is generally frowned on too.

Last edited by Dozer523; 01-07-2013 at 12:36.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40   #270
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Not really looking to get into an internet forum debate here, so I'll be brief.

His question was about physical preparation, of which I know quite a bit, coupled with recent experience in the Selection process.

When it comes to UW (and most anything related to the military) I know next to nothing and am eager to learn from those that have been there before me.

And thank you, not a common choice for sure. Not looking for fulfillment, just contribution. But yes, it has been a somewhat disillusioning experience. A topic for elsewhere.

Oh Boy, here we go again JD a piece of unsolicited advice - ratchet down the rhetoric, engage brain before mouth, and gain some SA. I would suggest the search button and look at XZRs posts. You are starting down a path you don't want to travel.