Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 06:03   #1
Badger52
Area Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western WI
Posts: 5,068
Mercenary 'Mad Mike' Hoare passes

Age 100, in South Africa.

He's certainly one of those people you'd find in the dictionary under "May you live in interesting times"

Article here.
__________________
"Civil Wars don't start when a few guys hunt down a specific bastard. Civil Wars start when many guys hunt down the nearest bastards."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 21:24   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional
 
Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,240
A friend and former teammate was on that last bungled mission with him.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:42   #3
glebo
Quiet Professional
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hope Mills, NC
Posts: 2,394
I think I remember reading articles on him in the Soldier of Fortune mag when that was hot, around the mid 80's or so..
__________________
I, R_____ M____ G____ do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God. (5 U.S.C. §3331)
glebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:57   #4
PRB
Quiet Professional
 
PRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
I think I remember reading articles on him in the Soldier of Fortune mag when that was hot, around the mid 80's or so..
Yup...and back in the mid 70's from my recollection....
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 13:08   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional
 
JJ_BPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NOVA
Posts: 10,421
RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios

I think Mad Mike might have influenced Warren Zevon's writing of "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner"

NSFW: If you haven't heard it in a while..

Quote:

Dylan C

The following are a series of war correspondence films from the Simba Rebellion in the Congo in 1964/65 set to the tune of "Roland the Thompson Gunner" by Warren Zevon. The film features a platoon of mercenaries from Europe conducting a platoon attack on the town of Boende in the Cong. The mercenaries primarily come from the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Of note there is an ex-ss officer in the film according to the source, I can't confirm this though.

It features some brutal combat and the summary execution of a rebel so it is NSFW.


Song: Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner
Artist: Warren Zevon
Album: The Best Of Warren Zevon (US Release)

https://www.*******.com/watch?v=op0HCQK-PDU
__________________
Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 14:33   #6
kpatton539
Quiet Professional
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Yelm, WA
Posts: 4
What I alsmot heard

I grew up with an SF father and in SF circles. One of the family friends was SGM David Disharoon, 7th, 46th co and 5th that I know of. His mother was French so he had dual citizenship and passports. I know he was involved in the Congo operations, ended up doing an E&E eventually being smuggled out by another "A" Team about a year later. What I don't know, and since he passed away never will, is what he actually did. I tried like hell to get him to talk but never managed, even though I used a copy of the Levenworth papers to lay out the overall operations. His comment was, "I was just s como guy with a French passport". He did say that with his TDY settlement, he bought the house his wife still owns in Ponderosa and the car he drove until he couldn't drive. It's a shame that I wasn't smart enough to realize the legends I was around in my youth.
kpatton539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 15:16   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional
 
JJ_BPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NOVA
Posts: 10,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatton539 View Post
I grew up with an SF father and in SF circles. One of the family friends was SGM David Disharoon, 7th, 46th co and 5th that I know of. His mother was French so he had dual citizenship and passports. I know he was involved in the Congo operations, ended up doing an E&E eventually being smuggled out by another "A" Team about a year later. What I don't know, and since he passed away never will, is what he actually did. I tried like hell to get him to talk but never managed, even though I used a copy of the Levenworth papers to lay out the overall operations. His comment was, "I was just s como guy with a French passport". He did say that with his TDY settlement, he bought the house his wife still owns in Ponderosa and the car he drove until he couldn't drive. It's a shame that I wasn't smart enough to realize the legends I was around in my youth.
The easy, painless, and moderately quick answer? File a Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records (SF180) and see what are in his records.

It will have unit assignments and dates so you can look for survivor teammates.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf standard-form-180.pdf (1.04 MB, 8 views)
__________________
Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 19:25   #8
Badger52
Area Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western WI
Posts: 5,068
JJ, no unit specifics but several disparate readings in several genre have popped up a former Waffen-SS guy (or 3) who was a merc in SA during those times. There have been a couple of good books that, marketed as non-fiction, have been widely disputed to be a bit of both. Still, it's a completely believable direction for someone like that, and have seen over time that there's enough smoke that there's probably some fire there too. And probably not a little embellishment as well.

But as youngsters my cousins & I were all yelling "Zeeeem-bob-WAYYYYYYY!" cheering on the merc's exploits and of course what young man worth his testosterone wouldn't love to have an Uzi or MAC-10, ya know?
__________________
"Civil Wars don't start when a few guys hunt down a specific bastard. Civil Wars start when many guys hunt down the nearest bastards."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:04   #9
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief
 
Guymullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Africa
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
JJ, no unit specifics but several disparate readings in several genre have popped up a former Waffen-SS guy (or 3) who was a merc in SA during those times. There have been a couple of good books that, marketed as non-fiction, have been widely disputed to be a bit of both. Still, it's a completely believable direction for someone like that, and have seen over time that there's enough smoke that there's probably some fire there too. And probably not a little embellishment as well.

But as youngsters my cousins & I were all yelling "Zeeeem-bob-WAYYYYYYY!" cheering on the merc's exploits and of course what young man worth his testosterone wouldn't love to have an Uzi or MAC-10, ya know?
I got a book written by Mikes son which was launched just a couple of months ago. I have yet to read it, but it is a biography of Mike and on talking to his son, well researched. I will revert once I have read it.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:30   #10
Badger52
Area Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western WI
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymullins View Post
I got a book written by Mikes son which was launched just a couple of months ago. I have yet to read it, but it is a biography of Mike and on talking to his son, well researched. I will revert once I have read it.
Would be great to hear your impressions sir.
__________________
"Civil Wars don't start when a few guys hunt down a specific bastard. Civil Wars start when many guys hunt down the nearest bastards."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:08.



Copyright 2004-2019 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies