Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Smoked Pork Butt
Old 05-27-2017, 14:01   #1126
TJ11B
Asset

Smoked Pork Butt

I'm smoking a 5lb. pork butt in a Bradley original electric smoker with apple wood. I rubbed her down with honey and mustard first and then put on a generous coating of sweet and smokey rub.

I plan on a total cook time about 5hrs (roughly an hr/lb., or whenever the meat probe hits 195), with 4hrs of that being on smoke at 235 - 250 and the rest in the oven. I very much agree with what TS said on meat only able to take so much smoke. Plus it makes my house smell so damn good to finish it in the oven.

Old 05-27-2017, 14:22   #1127
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Most proteins need only a bit of smoke compared to the long low heat needed to break down the protein chains that make the meat tender.
What a great nugget, right there.

Spam, Eggs, and Rice
Old Today, 08:59   #1128
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Spam, Eggs, and Rice

I haven't had this in a long time so this is on the brunch menu for today. Don't knock it until you've tried it...they eat The hell out of this in the Hawiian Islands. The link below is a pretty good article and recipie. If you like a little spicy use spicy spam. If you don't have fish sauce just drive on without it. Health food it is not. Comfort food it is.

https://eatingrichly.com/spam-eggs-and-rice/

Old Today, 13:14   #1129
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
I haven't had this in a long time so this is on the brunch menu for today. Don't knock it until you've tried it...they eat The hell out of this in the Hawiian Islands. The link below is a pretty good article and recipie. If you like a little spicy use spicy spam. If you don't have fish sauce just drive on without it. Health food it is not. Comfort food it is.

https://eatingrichly.com/spam-eggs-and-rice/
YES!

SPAM = Bad bad food
Old Today, 13:43   #1130
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

SPAM = Bad bad food

Spam is very bad for your health.

Two reasons I would not eat it, it's processed meat, second reason, its processed meat.

Learn to eat "fresh"..... like sausage, get a meat grinder and make your own, fresh. (Trust me its not rocket science.)

Or indulge very rarely.

Spam is right up there with terrible foods like "sugar water" (soda). The chain needs to be broken with these foods, do not eat/drink them.