Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:32   #1
KRG1987
Asset
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 6
Women in Combat?

With our President and Mr. Panetta's decision to allow women to hold a Combat MOS. Do you believe we will be seeing women in SFAS in the near future? I am curious as to your opinions on the matter.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell
KRG1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional
 
Team Sergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20,927
Good question.

There's a reason we don't have professional woman's football, basketball, hockey teams and why women don't compete against men in the Olympics. It has nothing to do with intellect but everything to do with strength.

But to answer your question, yes, I'm sure the US military will lower the standards to accommodate women in all combat roles.
TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:57   #3
KRG1987
Asset
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 6
Now with SFAS that is a selection process by current SF members if im not mistaken? I can forsee these women making a big stink about not getting selected and blame it on being a woman not because they just cant do the job required. I would not want to be in the shit and the woman have the realization this is not for her. I understand the need for political correctness and equality but maybe instead of a complete change of rules a test group or 2 in a limited role?? It just seems rushed.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell
KRG1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40   #4
MR2
Quiet Professional
 
MR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 3,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRG1987 View Post
I understand the need for political correctness...
I don't. Please explain.
__________________
The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer


I've always thought America was Great. Wouldn't it just be Great if we made it America Again?
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:52   #5
1stindoor
Quiet Professional
 
1stindoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ft. Bragg
Posts: 2,573
Here's a question from me...just out of curiousity...are you now or have you been in the military?
__________________
"Somebody should put that quote on a T-shirt:
Muslim phrase: "Aloha Snackbar!"
English translation: "Draw, Mother-F*cker!""
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:02   #6
KRG1987
Asset
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 6
Feb 11 I sign 11x opt 4 contract. I do not have any previous service and I look forward to serving my country Sir
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell
KRG1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:10   #7
1stindoor
Quiet Professional
 
1stindoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ft. Bragg
Posts: 2,573
Not trying to be a dick...well not a total one anyhows...but I wouldn't want to be "in the shit," when you come to that same realization. I'll give you the same advice I gave my son when he enlisted...take it one day at a time and see if you even have the capacity to serve in the military.
__________________
"Somebody should put that quote on a T-shirt:
Muslim phrase: "Aloha Snackbar!"
English translation: "Draw, Mother-F*cker!""
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37   #8
KRG1987
Asset
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 6
Well thats good to hear. Thanks for the info
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell
KRG1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09   #9
Dusty
Quiet Professional
 
Dusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 10,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by afchic View Post
none of them would even begin to even ponder entering an MOS where they can't meet the current standard.
Do you think the standards will be changed in order to facilitate entry for those women (and there must be some) who would ponder entering an MOS whose standards they can't meet, as they stand, at present?
__________________
"There you go, again." Ronald Reagan
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26   #10
Dusty
Quiet Professional
 
Dusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 10,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by afchic View Post
But there are going to be those that can meet the standard for infantry/mech/artillery units. So instead of bitching, moaning, whining and complaining about it, it is high time we all start to figure out a plan to best integrate those women into those MOS's , because gentlemen, the time is here, and nothing you say about it, is going to change it. As leaders, the best thing we can do for our troops is not complain behind the brass' back, but move out, and effect the change in the best way possible.


Concur. As I've stated before, Ma'am, as long as the current standards aren't modified, there should be no reason to exclude a female from entering a combat MOS.

I don't agree with the chauvinistic misogynists who compare it to a man trying out for the Bearded Lady gig at Barnum and Bailey.
__________________
"There you go, again." Ronald Reagan
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 19:36   #11
hharke
Quiet Professional
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fredericksburg VA
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Concur. As I've stated before, Ma'am, as long as the current standards aren't modified, there should be no reason to exclude a female from entering a combat MOS.

I don't agree with the chauvinistic misogynists who compare it to a man trying out for the Bearded Lady gig at Barnum and Bailey.
They (Gen Dempsey) have already announced they will not change the standards for the men. Do not clap, as Paul Harvey said. "Here is the other half of the story!"

They plan on coming up a second set of of standards for women. That is so they can say with a straight face "We did not change the standards"
hharke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:15   #12
ajls
Asset
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: FL Panhandle
Posts: 26
I have a question...

I have a good friend (sort of an adopted 2nd dad) who served in the Special Forces in Vietnam. I have a great deal of respect for him, and am only looking to find out if he was conned.

The region I live in has an annual Military Appreciation Day festival. Last year my friend met a woman wearing a green beret along with BDU's while walking around the festival, and she told him she earned the beret and Tab going through the SF course
My question is this: Since SF is a combat force, is it even possible for a female( as of 2012) to take the training and get qualified? From the responses and discussion in this thread and others, I would have said no, but since my friend met this woman and seems to believe her, I am not as certain now.

Thank you for your time.
ajls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:27   #13
sinjefe
Quiet Professional
 
sinjefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by afchic View Post
. As leaders, the best thing we can do for our troops is not complain behind the brass' back, but move out, and effect the change in the best way possible.
Or get out/retire. but, I agree, staying in and bitching about isn't the right course of action.
__________________
"Were you born a fat, slimy, scumbag, puke, piece 'o shit, Private Pyle, or did you have to work at it?" - GySgt Hartman
sinjefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40   #14
sinjefe
Quiet Professional
 
sinjefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by afchic View Post
Are you really willing to get out/retire over this? Don't you think that in order for this change to be made, there needs to be men like yourself that are willing to stay in and make the change happen in the best manner possible? Instead of leaving it to some FNG who doesn't know his/her ass from a hole in the ground.

Combat veterans are the best mentors for any new person into a unit. Women are going to need those mentors just as much as the men. If everyone leaves in mass protest, how is that good for the DoD? A decision has been made, it is up to us to make it happen.
Actaullay, I retired 5 years ago. I used to tell myself the kind of stuff you just said. But, I have become cynical and I don't think "change from within" ever happens. The forces of evil are too strong. You have to live by your principals.
__________________
"Were you born a fat, slimy, scumbag, puke, piece 'o shit, Private Pyle, or did you have to work at it?" - GySgt Hartman
sinjefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 15,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
You have to live by your principals.
Not me - I was wild as a dry August wind and always wanted to live as far away from my 'principals' as possible.

Richard
__________________
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:12.



Copyright 2004-2019 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies