Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 08-20-2008, 15:55   #1
LeakyBandage
Asset

experience with "Combat Gauze"?

Does anyone have experience with ZMedica/QuikClot's Combat Gauze? It is supposed to be a roll of gauze with a new, non-heating hemostatic agent embedded in it.

I have read that the current revision of TC3 lists it as a first-line hemostatic to be used before WoundStat, but I am not in that loop and cannot speak authoritatively. It is available on the civilian market (i.e. here & here) but it would be great to get some feedback from guys out on the sharp end.
LeakyBandage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 17:51   #2
adal
Quiet Professional

Just got some. Will let you know. Seems like a good idea, but I wonder what the big difference is between it and kerlex.
adal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:43   #3
cornelyj
Guerrilla

Seems like it would work well?
too bad I don't deal with gun shot wounds too much.
::living vicariously through awesome combat medics::
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.
cornelyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:39   #4
JMonty
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by adal View Post
Just got some. Will let you know. Seems like a good idea, but I wonder what the big difference is between it and kerlex.
Kerlex works fine if used correctly (you know that of course) but as far as Combat Gauze goes, it's something I like to save for neck, axillary, or inguinal injuries. It's a great product when used in conjunction with Kerlex and pressure dressings. I'm not positive on the difference between the two, just that they both work when you need them to, which is good enough for me. I'll bug my PA about it tomorrow.
"I say to you now only what I would say to my own men, knowing the fear that stands unspoken in each heart - not of death, but worse, of faltering or failing, of somehow proving unworthy in this, the ultimate hour. Forget every concept, however noble, that you imagine you fight for here today. Act for this alone: for the man who stands at your shoulder." -Dienekes 'Gates of Fire'
JMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48   #5
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonty View Post
...I'm not positive on the difference between the two...
You dont know the difference between plain kerlix and Combat Gauze?

Sounds like you need to do a lil research before you go pestering your PA about things you SHOULD have the answers for.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-31-2010 at 11:53.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:07   #6
JMonty
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post

Sounds like you need to do a lil research before you go pestering your PA about things you SHOULD have the answers for.

Crip
You're right, he shouldn't have to do my job.

• QuikClot® Combat Gauze™ causes rapid localized coagulation
and the formation of a stable blood clot in a variety of wounds.
It does not absorb into the body, and is safe to leave in the
wound until further medical care is available.
• QuikClot® Combat Gauze™ does not produce any heat.
"I say to you now only what I would say to my own men, knowing the fear that stands unspoken in each heart - not of death, but worse, of faltering or failing, of somehow proving unworthy in this, the ultimate hour. Forget every concept, however noble, that you imagine you fight for here today. Act for this alone: for the man who stands at your shoulder." -Dienekes 'Gates of Fire'
Old 01-31-2010, 19:23   #7
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post

Crip
AMEN!!!

You should know. I'm a frinkin knuckle dragging barrel chest freedom fighter and I know the diff.

I'm not a medic nor have I ever been one.

But I've trained in medical field, but I'd slept in a Holiday Inn express and I know the difference between the two.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:39   #8
JMonty
Asset

Roger, guys. SurgicalCric jumped in my shit and I fixed myself. It won't happen again.
Old 03-10-2010, 15:32   #9
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeakyBandage View Post
Does anyone have experience with ZMedica/QuikClot's Combat Gauze? It is supposed to be a roll of gauze with a new, non-heating hemostatic agent embedded in it.

I have read that the current revision of TC3 lists it as a first-line hemostatic to be used before WoundStat, but I am not in that loop and cannot speak authoritatively. It is available on the civilian market (i.e. here & here) but it would be great to get some feedback from guys out on the sharp end.
Leakybandage,
I have used it in and out of the body, yes it does work....would a non-impregnated gauze have done the same thing????Inside the body I know it wouldn't, I tried. Outside you have a lot more options to control bleeding, i.e., types of wound, venous vs. arterial hemorrhage, etc. I like the stuff. I have used the combat gauze 3x in the body and the quik clot "tea bags" 7x in the body with only one 'failure' that was predictable when we started the case....patient was coagulopathic and I knew it was a long shot, you need an intact coagulation cascade for ANY of these products to work.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote