Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 19:32   #1
Derek808
Asset
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 0
Officer branch prior to 18A

Out of curiosity, while I've searched these boards and I know that an officer's former MOS branch doesn't effect their SFAS eligibility, have any of you gentlemen personally met or known any 18A's who weren't former combat arms officers? (MI, Chem. Ord., MP, etc?)

Thank you.
Derek808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 19:50   #2
blue02hd
Quiet Professional
 
blue02hd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Near the flag pole
Posts: 1,168
Yes.
__________________
"It's not my aim, it's these damn crooked bullets,,,"

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 19:52   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 15,370
Many.

Richard
__________________
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 19:54   #4
wet dog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek808 View Post
Out of curiosity, while I've searched these boards and I know that an officer's former MOS branch doesn't effect their SFAS eligibility, have any of you gentlemen personally met or known any 18A's who weren't former combat arms officers? (MI, Chem. Ord., MP, etc?)

Thank you.
Derek808,

Before many 18A's begin to assist you in adjusting fire, allow me, a Sr NCO to correct this deficiency.

Stop Posting.

There are many threads to read, 1000's of posts, and a few PM's that will be much more beneficial than starting another thread.

If you would like a further explanation, I would be happy to give you a required reading list of threads that will help, or you can wait for others to chime in.

Good luck, welcome to PS.com, have a very SF day.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 19:58   #5
Derek808
Asset
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 0
Wet Dog,

that would be very helpful to see that thread list, if it's not too much of an inconvenience! And I'll make this my last thread, and instead opt for PM's or replies on threads already up in the future. Didn't mean to add to the clutter!
Derek808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 21:25   #6
wet dog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek808 View Post
Wet Dog,

that would be very helpful to see that thread list, if it's not too much of an inconvenience! And I'll make this my last thread, and instead opt for PM's or replies on threads already up in the future. Didn't mean to add to the clutter!
Derek -

SF instructions, like most military career paths begin with LOI, POI, etc.

From here, start with the PS.com home page, Forum 18A. Listed are two full pages of 18A information, resulting in 54 different threads, and accompanying posts.

Once finshed, send me a PM, I'll take you through OSS History, followed by each of the 18 series MOS of the men you will command, then PSYOPs, CA, MI, and other branches that support SF and unit organizations that we support in return.

Visit and read TAPS, each of the men, their bios and accompanying posts. Split your time evenly 80/20 between required reading and the balance with reading current affairs, as to not just become a book worm, but someone who will have an intelligent opinion that can defend or argue his point of view.

Find a few heros, like Col Bob Howard and Nick Rowe, what they did, who they were. Then begin making quiet inquiries with some of the men who served with them. Those who knew them are here at PS.com.

Derek, thank you for taking the challenge. This will be an adventure for you, consider also, keeping a journal under your own pen and efforts of lessons learned during this process.

Once you enter the 18A pipeline, Officer Advance Cources and such, the journal will be a wonderful resource as your career progresses.

Good reading, happy hunting, enjoy.

Wet Dog
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 19:59   #7
wet dog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Derek -

SF instructions, like most military career paths begin with LOI, POI, etc.

From here, start with the PS.com home page, Forum 18A. Listed are two full pages of 18A information, resulting in 54 different threads, and accompanying posts.

Once finshed, send me a PM, I'll take you through OSS History, followed by each of the 18 series MOS of the men you will command, then PSYOPs, CA, MI, and other branches that support SF and unit organizations that we support in return.

Visit and read TAPS, each of the men, their bios and accompanying posts. Split your time evenly 80/20 between required reading and the balance with reading current affairs, as to not just become a book worm, but someone who will have an intelligent opinion that can defend or argue his point of view.

Find a few heros, like Col Bob Howard and Nick Rowe, what they did, who they were. Then begin making quiet inquiries with some of the men who served with them. Those who knew them are here at PS.com.

Derek, thank you for taking the challenge. This will be an adventure for you, consider also, keeping a journal under your own pen and efforts of lessons learned during this process.

Once you enter the 18A pipeline, Officer Advance Cources and such, the journal will be a wonderful resource as your career progresses.

Good reading, happy hunting, enjoy.

Wet Dog
A few PM'd me back a few weeks ago accepting the challenge.

What have you learned?

Time to chime in, you know who you are.

WD
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:06   #8
CW1287
Asset
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USAEUR
Posts: 18
Challenge

Wet Dog,

I learned quite a few things. One of the first things is that while you may be the Officer of the team you are still a guest of the team. The team will be there after you leave and it was there prior to your arrival. Your mere existance on the team does not make the team succed or fail. The next thing I learned, You are the face of the team to the command. You stick up for the team and take care of the team. If higher is sending down lashes for the team you take them and turn the other cheek for more. This is what is expected of you, you do not dime your men out or lay the blame off on someone else, you man up and shoulder the burden.

The next piece is leadership. There are all different kinds of leaders, some are good and others are poor. The best leaders are those who can take constructive criticism and use it to better themselves. Those who try and do everything on their own without the input of the team will fail and may be seen as a poor leader.

After reading Basenshukai's articles I have learned that flexibilty is a must from a leader. No two situations will ever be the same and a good officer must be able to adapt and overcome. Never quitting is another theme throughout his article, no matter how hopeless a situation (whether it be in training or the "real world") may seem. Sitiational Awareness is keep, if you do not have it you will fail at many junctures. Know it, use it, love it.

I have learned so many things by reading all the posts that I could write an extremely long thread about it. The above seems to be many of the recurring themes I saw. The biggest and most influencial is focus. Keeping focused on the 5M and 25M targets. When you want to achieve something so badly you begin looking out to the 300m and beyond targets. You loose your SA and you miss what is in front of you. In order to achieve everything you want in life you must slow down, know what your 300m target looks like, but focus on the 5M and 25M target, while you work you way out. Not clearing your 5 and 25 could kill your progress (literally in some cases) before you ever get close to your goal. Keep your SA in check.

LT W

Wet Dog, if you are looking for more let me know and I add to my message.
CW1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:41   #9
1stindoor
Quiet Professional
 
1stindoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ft. Bragg
Posts: 2,561
Good job LT. That's the way to answer a challenge. You'll find that those lessons will serve you well in any career field.
__________________
"Somebody should put that quote on a T-shirt:
Muslim phrase: "Aloha Snackbar!"
English translation: "Draw, Mother-F*cker!""
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:12   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 15,370
GEN Stan McChrystal: Listen, Learn...Then Lead.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/st...cchrystal.html

Richard
__________________
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:58   #11
LongWire
Quiet Professional
 
LongWire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where the Brave are............
Posts: 1,060
Thanks for the llnk Richard!!!!!
__________________
"Most of us here can attest that we never took the easy way. Easy just is............easy. Life is a work in progress, and most of the time its a struggle." ~ Me

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 15:37   #12
wet dog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
LT W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW1287 View Post
I have learned so many things by reading all the posts that I could write an extremely long thread about it.

LT W
I think you should, make the effort to manage it also, creating chapters, sub threads, keeping those on point and answering the tough questions.

By the way, good job.

WD
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:13   #13
CW1287
Asset
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USAEUR
Posts: 18
Wet Dog,

I will begin to compile all my lessons learned and thoughts on what I have read and learned. I will PM you once I have finished them, it may be a while before I have it all complete. Once you have reviewed it and given any guidance I will post it in the appropriate areas.

LT W
CW1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 22:42   #14
wet dog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
A Play Ground Lesson on Life (and an early lesson of leadership)

Little Peter Jenkins was not bullied, nor his friends not like him, in fact, he was well liked my most kids in his 5th grade class, and also by the older 6th and 7th graders too. His older brother John, was a star basketball, football and baseball player in the much more experienced 9th grade. Peter had talent, he was just small, but Peter’s real problem was he was always picked last to join a game of kickball for the 3rd period recess, and the long break before the lunch hour and the 30 minute break before biology later in the day.

So Peter devised a plan.

When two of the bigger, stronger, more adapt school boys broke out for the daily kickball game and summarily began to pick players, Peter decided to throw a wrench into the well lubricated machinery that is evident by the predictable behavior of most 5th grade boys at school.

What Peter did, shocked everyone – he opted out of the last position and made a position for himself. He did this not selfishly, but by careful design with goals and rewards for all those who also chose to follow Peter down the long line of “selection”.

What Peter did was announce the “third option”. He announced his intentions to create a new team, drafting the best players to attend a selection course, “try outs” to determine who would be on the team, rather than wait for the coin toss on who was going to begin the drafting sequence. Peter felt the institutional traditions of the campus withheld raw talent from stepping forward. Something had to give, and Peter saw an opportunity.

“Hey fellas, I’m not playing kickball today. Starting Monday, I’ll be conducting a series of tests to see who the fastest runners, the strongest kickers are and most adapt at catching high kicked balls to the infield and outfield.

Candidates selected to join the team, 8 positions open, will be invited to a team house meeting to receive further instructions and receive their benefit and compensation packets for participating in the “selection” process and also an invitation to be part of the “new team”.

Monday morning was anticipated with much excitement. Boys all over the neighborhood practiced all weekend long for the upcoming “selection” event. Throws, kicks, runs, stopping, base stealing, nothing was missed. Everyone waited for Peter’s arrival at the first recess of the morning. By late afternoon, Peter had the matrix of all players in his school, from all ages, 5th grade thru the 8th.

Tuesday morning, Peter made an announcement.

“Friends, by careful review of the “selection” process conducted yesterday afternoon. Eight names have been selected to join the new “Third Option Team”. This team will compete against all other teams including our Junior High School neighbors.

Benefits for being on the team are. 1., Designer posters hung in the school cafeteria, made by the Art department. 2., A team photograph hung in the school admin office. 3., Weekly game announcements conducted by Ms. Tanaka, 6th grade math teacher at the end of every Friday lunch hour. 4., Home Economics instructors have committed school resources to make matching team uniforms. And finally, a dedicated team meeting area and dedicated lunch table in the cafeteria for all team players close to the dessert line. Larger lunch servings are expected, final size to be negotiated with school cafeteria management.

I, as your team leader and manager will no longer be able to perform the functions of team player. I will no longer be able to dedicate the time required to perform at the level of perfection, but my involvement will be to see to team needs and resources. My older brother John will be the team coach and principle trainer.

We all know Scott from Mr. Johnson’s class. Scott has always performed well as a kicker. What Scott needed was consistency, he was always being picked one day by one person, another day by someone else. Scott came to me, requesting the opportunity to play for the “Third Option”. What I told Scott was he had the skills required to play for the team, but it would require more of him than any other player. What the team would require of Scott would be for him to serve as its first Team Captain and responsible for setting team standards of performance and behavior on campus.

This announcement of Scott being the very first Team Captain is a historical event.

All in favor in showing support to Scott as your new All Grade - Ponderosa Elementary School Kickball Team, please say, YES!”

“YES” shouts the entire school cafeteria.

“Scott, would you please step forward and announce the remaining 7 players”.

-----------------------BT------------------------

What lessons can we learn from Peter’s experience?

Last edited by wet dog; 04-18-2011 at 22:58.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:28   #15
MTN Medic
Quiet Professional
 
MTN Medic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bragg
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW1287 View Post
Wet Dog,

I learned quite a few things. One of the first things is that while you may be the Officer of the team you are still a guest of the team. The team will be there after you leave and it was there prior to your arrival. Your mere existance on the team does not make the team succed or fail. The next thing I learned, You are the face of the team to the command. You stick up for the team and take care of the team. If higher is sending down lashes for the team you take them and turn the other cheek for more. This is what is expected of you, you do not dime your men out or lay the blame off on someone else, you man up and shoulder the burden.

The next piece is leadership. There are all different kinds of leaders, some are good and others are poor. The best leaders are those who can take constructive criticism and use it to better themselves. Those who try and do everything on their own without the input of the team will fail and may be seen as a poor leader.

After reading Basenshukai's articles I have learned that flexibilty is a must from a leader. No two situations will ever be the same and a good officer must be able to adapt and overcome. Never quitting is another theme throughout his article, no matter how hopeless a situation (whether it be in training or the "real world") may seem. Sitiational Awareness is keep, if you do not have it you will fail at many junctures. Know it, use it, love it.

I have learned so many things by reading all the posts that I could write an extremely long thread about it. The above seems to be many of the recurring themes I saw. The biggest and most influencial is focus. Keeping focused on the 5M and 25M targets. When you want to achieve something so badly you begin looking out to the 300m and beyond targets. You loose your SA and you miss what is in front of you. In order to achieve everything you want in life you must slow down, know what your 300m target looks like, but focus on the 5M and 25M target, while you work you way out. Not clearing your 5 and 25 could kill your progress (literally in some cases) before you ever get close to your goal. Keep your SA in check.

LT W

Wet Dog, if you are looking for more let me know and I add to my message.
Sir, live by that, and you will go far.
__________________
"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. -Thucydides:
MTN Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:51.



Copyright 2004-2019 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies