Old 02-27-2012, 21:49   #1
cowboykpy
Quiet Professional

Spanish Language materials

Studs-

Does anyone have a copy of the Rosetta Stone Spanish CD, or Rapid Rote in Spanish? I'm easy and will take any assistance that can be provided with whatever Spanish books, CD's, computer stuff is being handed out at language right now. I deploy in 45 days and need to learn as much Spanish as I can, and no I don't have a language lab to go down to and get spun up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what you've got, and if needed I'll PM you mailing info.

Cowboykpy

"We are now engaged in a great...War, testing whether this nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Last edited by cowboykpy; 02-27-2012 at 21:58. Reason: Clarification
cowboykpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:47   #2
Sulla
SF Candidate

I don't have any copies of Rosetta Stone, but I do recommend livemocha.com. It's a website that combines language learning with social networking, so while you take courses you can also interact with others from all over the world who are learning your language and speak the one that you are learning. The free portion of the site gives you basic Spanish courses in the same format as Rosetta Stone. But IMO the most valuable part of livemocha is the access to so many natives to practice with. I've actually met people on this site and then later met them in real life too.
Sulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 13:52   #3
hotshot
Quiet Professional

DLPT V Study

For what it's worth, this site isn't too bad.

http://gloss.dliflc.edu/Default.aspx

Suerte,

CH
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 14:47   #4
DevilSide
Guerrilla

These helped me improve mi español:

http://spanishdict.com

English-Spanish dictionary on board, and has many other resources

http://livemocha.com

Many videos, planned out lessons, ability to create your custom flash cards, and chat with native speakers if you care about that. Only catch is the videos/lessons you have to buy them with credits, not with money, but buy correcting other people in their written or spoken assignments, which are short. You'll start with 200 of these "mocha coins".

http://www.ielanguages.com/spanish.html

This is good as a quick guide on grammar, also has some vocab and phrases, but nothing you won't find on the sites above, so I used it mostly for grammar and verb conjugation.

Combine this with some spanish videos on *******, and the site hotshot posted and you have yourself the best free guide on the internet, ever.
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom - Sun Tzu
DevilSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 19:02   #5
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

cowboykpy - I spoke with the USASFC(A) Command Language Program Manager today (he works with me). Spanish IS NOT a 19th SFG(A) language. If you are pursuing it for your own edification, well and good; however, it will not help your unit's stats and shouldn't get you any propay. If you still want Spanish study materials, PM me and I'll send you the 19th SFG(A) CLPM's contact info. He has lots of money to get you official study materials. You might even be able to persuade him to send you to school for one of the designated languages.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04   #6
cowboykpy
Quiet Professional

Peregrino-

PM inbound.

"We are now engaged in a great...War, testing whether this nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
cowboykpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:59   #7
Dusty
Quiet Professional

If you've got the hardware, station and time, you can watch Spanish-language TV all day.

I watch El Chavo and El Gordo y La Flaca just to kinda stay brushed up.

(I'd watch El Chavo, anyway...)
Old 03-06-2012, 14:53   #8
mark46th
Quiet Professional

El Chapulin Colorado is funny if they are playing reruns. The novelas have some gorgeous Venezuelanitas...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote