Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Old 03-28-2008, 06:31   #16
Pete
Quiet Professional

Good for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssantos View Post
... I completed SFAS last September. I owe the Corps one more year on my contract and then I will inter-service transfer into the Army as an infantry officer......
Great news and good luck.

Now toddle off to the intro thread and post an intro. Your thread count only shows (1.) post - this one. If you posted one way back when it may went missing somewhere and you need another one.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 23:15   #17
Blueboy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssantos View Post
Gentlemen,
I am an active duty Marine Corps officer. I completed SFAS last September. I owe the Corps one more year on my contract and then I will inter-service transfer into the Army as an infantry officer. Sequence of training will be as follows:
1. MCCC
2. Airborne
3. Q course
- MOS becomes 18A
4. Ranger

And then to group.
A Marine officer branch-transferring to have a go at the Q-Course? Great stuff! I take back all the unflattering words I've ever uttered about the Corps (well, maybe not all...).

Did you consider trying for MARSOC?
"I do not know what is true. I do not know the meaning of the universe. But in the midst of doubt, in the collapse of creeds, there is one thing I do not doubt...and that is that the faith is true and adorable which leads a soldier to throw away his life in obedience to a blindly accepted duty, in a cause he little understands, in a plan of campaign of which he has little notion, under tactics of which he does not see the use."

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Blueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 00:56   #18
Sinister
Quiet Professional

Other service officers at SFDOQC

The only sister service officer I knew to complete the Q Course and serve in an SF Leadership position was Major (now Major General) Gordon C. Nash.

MAJ Nash was assigned as the SF Detachment Officer Qualification Course (Phase II) Chief from (I believe) 1983-1986.

I've served with a SEAL who attended the Ranger course. I wouldn't piss on his guts if they were on fire.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:14   #19
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
The only sister service officer I knew to complete the Q Course and serve in an SF Leadership position was Major (now Major General) Gordon C. Nash.

MAJ Nash was assigned as the SF Detachment Officer Qualification Course (Phase II) Chief from (I believe) 1983-1986.

I've served with a SEAL who attended the Ranger course. I wouldn't piss on his guts if they were on fire.

I had no idea that Maj Nash had gone on to make GO. He was the Chief when I went through and I remember him as a great guy.

Most of the time in Training Group, the USMC officer was in a staff position.

Thanks for the good news.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:40   #20
Froggy
Quiet Professional

Not alone

B Santos is not alone in his endevor; I too am in the process of applying for a move from the USMC infantry to Army SF. In the last couple of months as I have begun to compile the package, I have come to find out that not only is the USMC-officer-to-Army-SF pipeline unheard of, it is not even all that unusual. The officers that I know of who have attempted and/or completed the transfer process have all strongly considered the MARSOC option. For one reason or another, more than one officer has choosen to forgo MARSOC for Army SF. Reasoning for this can quickly spiral into diatribe and is not appropriate for this thread, so I won't start that one off. Suffice it to say that most of these officers are not inexperienced glory-seekers who think the grass is always greener, but rather are fairly-seasoned young officers (to the extent that there is such a thing) with several combat deployments who seek to serve in a professional, competent unit that influences operational and national level objectives. All of these men (that I know) have been infantry officers.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:35   #21
Sinister
Quiet Professional

MG Gordon C. Nash

http://www.usmc.mil/genbios2.nsf/wor...ILE/lowres.jpg

Major General
Gordon C. Nash
Director, Expeditionary Warfare Division (OPNAV N75)

Major General Gordon C. Nash currently serves as the Director, Expeditionary Warfare Division (OPNAV N75). He assumed his current assignment on November 12, 2004.

Major General Nash's previous assignment was the Deputy Commander, U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Atlantic in Norfolk, Virginia.

Major General Nash is the son of a career U.S. Naval Officer. After graduating from Hampden-Sydney College, he completed Officer Candidates School and received his commission in December 1971. Major General Nash's assignments have included tours with Marine Corps Operating Forces in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Marine Divisions, and with I, II and III Marine Expeditionary Forces. He has commanded Marine Corps operating forces from the platoon to the division level, and served at different times as executive officer, operations officer, and logistics officer in a variety of units. In August 1986, Major General Nash was selected to reactivate and command the 1st Force Reconnaissance Company. He has served as the Commanding General, 3rd Force Service Support Group and the 3rd Marine Division, both headquartered in Okinawa, Japan.

Major General Nash has served tours outside the Marine Corps operating forces at the Officer Candidates School, Officer Assignment Branch, Headquarters Marine Corps, with the Plans Division, Plans, Policy and Operations, Headquarters Marine Corps, with Observer Group Lebanon, UN Truce Supervision Organization-Palestine, with the Special Forces Schools, Fort Bragg, NC and with the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC), Fort Bragg, NC. During the assignment with JSOC, he also served as the J-3 for Task Force Ranger in Somalia. In the spring of 1998, he commanded Joint Task Force Auburn Endeavor in support of Department of Energy efforts in Tbilisi, Georgia. He has served as the Director Operations Division, Plans, Policies and Operations, Headquarters Marine Corps. His most recent joint assignment was as Commander, Joint Warfighting Center and Director, Joint Training J7, United States Joint Forces Command, Suffolk, Virginia.

His professional military education has included attendance at the Amphibious Warfare School, the United States Army Special Forces Qualification Course, the Marine Corps Command and Staff College, and the National War College.

Major General Nash's personal awards include the Defense Superior Service Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Legion of Merit with Gold Star, the Defense Meritorious Service Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Meritorious Service Medal with Gold Star, the Army Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Army Achievement Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, the Combat Action Ribbon, the Army Special Forces Tab, the Army Master Parachutist Insignia, the British Army Parachutist Insignia, and the Royal Thai Marine Corps Parachutist Insignia.

(Updated 31 October 2005, HQMC)
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 16:57   #22
Richard
Quiet Professional

Guys,

There were two Force Recon Marines in the O Course I was in and they were both competent and fit in well. Upon completion of the course, they went back to 2nd Force Recon Bn. There were also some foreign officers attending.

I also knew of one officer who did an interservice transfer to the USN to become a SEAL. CRS his name but the last time I saw him he was a LCDR with NAVSPECWARUONE at Subic Bay.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:25   #23
corbind
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Never saw a Navy or AF officer make it into the program, or even try.

Several Marines did, and succeeded.

TR
Sir, would you want to make an educated guess why that is so? I've read many posts on this forum over the past month or so. You are a big part of this board and have knowledge we all would like do draw upon.
Old 10-10-2008, 00:34   #24
McNamara
Quiet Professional

I am a Navy officer who attended SFAS. There were two AF officers in the class as well and they were also selected. My background is aviation, so I know I have a steep learning curve ahead of me.

My transfer has taken a while, but I should be getting orders soon to come into the Army as an 11A and attend MCCC. I look forward to the great challenges ahead.
McNamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 15:15   #25
Landlubber
Quiet Professional

Been there...

To all interested, I was a SWO in the Navy for 5 and 1/2 years. I was on a ship as a "line" officer, then moved to NSW as a boat guy for 3 yrs. I saw the light and decided to try SFAS rather than BUDs. I am still relieved that I made that decision. Since being selected, I intra-service transferred, began ICCC (now MCCC) and completed the QC. I showed up to a team just before PMT, and am typing this from a sandy place.

What I can tell you is that YES, it is a very different culture. I was lucky to be working in SOF for a few years prior to coming over, however, it is still very different. I would recommend anyone that follows my footsteps capitalize on any light infantry tactics and leadership opportunities. It has been a challenge to fill the role of typically prior-11A TLs, but if you can't meet a challenge like that, then you don't belong here anyway, right? Now that I'm over here with a great team and working with PL's from INF and ARMOR, I don't think they have much on me as far as tactical knowledge, it's more of just being brought up in the Army culture.

I have learned a lot in my Army time, but I agree, I think that good leadership and inter-personal skills will serve you well no matter where or who you serve with. I continue to learn new things everyday, but then...that's what I signed up to do! I have even had the opportunity to conduct some joint operations with the very SEALs I worked with in the Navy, and all I can say is that I stand behind my decision. The worst part is: what do I do while watching the Army Navy game?

LL
Landlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 17:24   #26
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I loved the Marine Corps, but the thing I liked least about it was officer leadership.

My only experience with a USMC officer in SF was poor, which paralleled my USMC enlisted experience.

I wish we could import more SGMs, and less 0's, but alas....

I hope you all turn out differently. Good luck.

S/F
Old 02-04-2009, 22:24   #27
kmarokid
SF Candidate

McNamara, when did you attend SFAS? I think I might be one of the prior AF officers you speak of.

A buddy of mine and I, both Air Weapons Officers on the back of the AWACS and then both Air Liaison Officers - ALOs (think officer JTACs), seperated under a volunteer program back in the fall of '07. We both joined up with 20th SFG(A) and went to drill three times before attending SFAS in June '08. We were both selected and are currently attending MCCC. Other than this captains course and Airborne both of which were after SFAS, niether of us have had any formal Army training (tactics or otherwise) except for some joint courses during our ALO billets. Our guard unit did a stellar job preparing us for SFAS if you ask me and I was also fortunate enough to still be living in the Ft Hood area and the SF recruiter unit there let me PT with them every morning. Our unit tossed around the idea of sending us to pre-Ranger, but timing was an issue for that. From what I've heard the only thing pre-Ranger is good for is Ranger. I believe that attending IOBC before coming to the MCCC would have helped some as I've had to fill in the gaps in my tactics/PL knowledge, but not sure how IOBC post-MCCC would help out with SUT. I've been parusing 3-21.8 and the Ranger handbook and am a little concerned with my performance at SUT but looking forward to learning. There is another individal in the MCCC with us who service transfered from the Air Force. He attended IOBC, Airborne and Ranger before SFAS I believe. He seemed to be a little more indoctrinated into the Army way of things but at this point we're all pretty much on the same level. If this post lasts long enough, I'll keep updating as we go through SFQC.
kmarokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 20:28   #28
McNamara
Quiet Professional

kmarokid,

I apologize for the late reply. We may know some of the same people; PM sent regarding that. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you in Bragg soon.

To all others, having gone through MCCC now I can say that it was indeed a steep learning curve at first, but a combination of hard studying and soaking up knowledge from my fellow captains with infantry PL experience served me well. I can't wait to get to the SFDOQC and begin the next stage of training.
McNamara is offline   Reply With Quote