Go Back   Professional Soldiers > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Old 11-03-2004, 15:43   #1
Jo Sul
Quiet Professional

Requirements for joining the Dark Side

My SF time was spent as an NCO. A series of unfortunate events resulted in my commissioning. After doing all the usual officer things I looked into returning to SF as an officer. At the time I was told that my previous SF qualification did not count on the officer side of the house and that in order to become an 18A I would have to repeat the ENTIRE process - SFAS and SFQC, just like anyone else.

Is this still the case?

Does anyone else think this seems a bit strange?

Put yourself in these shoes - given your background and experience would you gain anything from repeating the entire process in order to qualify for the job?

Personally, I think we would want to encourage experienced SF NCOs to return to SF as officers if they did commission.

Thoughts?
Old 11-03-2004, 16:25   #2
Razor
Quiet Professional

May not have to repeat SFAS (although TR has better info on this, I'm sure), but repeating the Q course, although seemingly tedious, isn't a bad idea. When you went through as an NCO, you received specific MOS training, and conducted Robin Sage doing your job under your MOS. As an O, you basically have a new MOS, so getting trained on officer-type tasks seems to make sense. As for Phase II of the current pipeline (formerly Phase I or 13, depending when you went through), consider it a refresher on SF SUT and land nav.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 17:51   #3
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

While in the 10th in the 60's, everyone attended annual SF MOS Training. I have three graduation certificates from SF Commo Training. The very first thing given in the course was a test which everyone promptly failed. That set the tone and prevented people from bitching and saying they didn't need the training. You never know it all and when you think you do you are ready for a rude awakening.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 20:32   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You have to have completed SFAS to attend the SFQC. Officers at SFAS are evaluated more stringently than NCOs at SFAS.

You might, or might not be GTG for Phase II, depending on when you went through.

You have not received the SFDOQC for 18As for Phase III.

You have not attended Robin Sage as a Detachment Commander.

If you can test out in a language for the Group you are being assigned to, you might be able to skip Phase V.

If you have attended SERE Level C, you will not have to attend Phase VI, so you could get by with just attending Phases I-IV.

I don't think you would want to have a Detachment Commander who was only trained to be a 18B30 (or whatever you were trained as).

My understanding was that commissions were offered, not forced upon soldiers.

I think there is a reason for doing it this way, and it makes sense to me. YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 21:05   #5
Jo Sul
Quiet Professional

Thanks for all the inputs.

I certainly agree that Phase II, Phase III and Robin Sage should be a requirement and of course the 18A should not be handed out to someone trained ONLY in their enlisted 18-series MOS.

Considering how long ago I went through the course (17 years ago), this is purely a theoretical exercise for me. It may however be more relevant to the current generation if they are considering taking a commission.
Old 05-06-2009, 20:20   #6
naz9403
Asset

Can you go from enlisted special forces to ocs (assuming 4yr degree held before enlistment) then back to special forces after repeating the Q as an officer or would you have to go 11a until rank of 1st Lt. promotable / Captain to repeat the Q and return to special forces?
naz9403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 20:38   #7
Go For Broke
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz9403 View Post
Can you go from enlisted special forces to ocs (assuming 4yr degree held before enlistment) then back to special forces after repeating the Q as an officer or would you have to go 11a until rank of 1st Lt. promotable / Captain to repeat the Q and return to special forces?
BLUF - whatever your commissioning source, you still have to do time as a 2LT and 1LT BEFORE you can be selected to attend the SFDOQC. Upon completion of the SFDOQC, you will return to a SFG(A).

It is not automatic that you will be selected to attend the SFDOQC.

Just my humble $0.02

BTW - I think that is one of the longest run on sentences I have seen

V/R,

Last edited by Go For Broke; 05-06-2009 at 21:10.
Go For Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 21:05   #8
naz9403
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For Broke View Post
BLUF - whatever your commissioning source, you still have to do time as a 2LT and 1LT BEFORE you can be selected to attend the SFDOQC. Upon completion of the SFDOQC, you will return to a SFG(A).

It is not automatic that you will be selected to attend the SFDOQC.

Just my humble $0.02

BTW - I think that is one of the longest run on sentences I have see

V/R,
Thank you for the response. Yea that sentence of mine is on the verge of incoherentness. Maybe it's the posting anxiety on this forum some of us get, o crap did i forget to read a sticky / did i search effectively???
Old 05-06-2009, 21:21   #9
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz9403 View Post
Thank you for the response. Yea that sentence of mine is on the verge of incoherentness. Maybe it's the posting anxiety on this forum some of us get, o crap did i forget to read a sticky / did i search effectively???
Remember - "spellcheck" and that little button beside the one that says "Submit Reply" (the one that says "Preview Post") are your friends.
Old 05-07-2009, 13:22   #10
GrumbleandGrunt
SF Candidate

I have some friends from MCCC and who are in SFQC with me who are prior 18 series.

They did not have to attend SFAS.

If they are able to test out of language they skip that. Several opted to do it anyways or select a different language that applies to their future Group's AOR.

They do not have to repeat SUT or SERE-C.

They do have to go through the 18A course.

They do have to complete Robin Sage as an 18A.

I am not sure what they had to do to be "selected" to come back, I can check if you wish. I do know that they did have to go to the line and do normal 2LT and 1LT jobs respective to their branches before coming back.

I hope this helps.
GrumbleandGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 14:27   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumbleandGrunt View Post
I have some friends from MCCC and who are in SFQC with me who are prior 18 series.

They did not have to attend SFAS.

If they are able to test out of language they skip that. Several opted to do it anyways or select a different language that applies to their future Group's AOR.

They do not have to repeat SUT or SERE-C.

They do have to go through the 18A course.

They do have to complete Robin Sage as an 18A.

I am not sure what they had to do to be "selected" to come back, I can check if you wish. I do know that they did have to go to the line and do normal 2LT and 1LT jobs respective to their branches before coming back.

I hope this helps.

They do.

They then have to compete for 18A slots like the other officers in their YGs.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 17:53   #12
naz9403
Asset

Thank you all for the information.