Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fur

Old 11-25-2017, 10:54   #16
Golf1echo
Guerrilla Chief

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Box if I had a corporation I would be after you for an event speaker or CEO, as ever so thought provoking saturated with entertainment, alas...

So a few thoughts: Cherokee, NC adjacent to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park, in all it's regalia to include Harrah's and the many out buildings and accutraments of modern tribal living...although it's kind of tough hunting there, I believe it's called a felony, although they do have elk.

The park itself, after being appropriated from the native peoples was then appropriated from the menacing Europeans, then appropriated by the logging and paper mill industries who then had it appropriated by the federal government...the side story with places like nearby Lake Fontana include appropriations by the TVA who philanthropically deposited pennies on the dollar into many veterans bank accounts while they were away fighting WWII the flooded it all in a scheme that exists to this day called eminent domain... Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
A brief history of WNC.
The details create a stir in everyone's circle...

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Compass
Old 11-25-2017, 14:05   #17
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Compass

Went bow hunting once in unfamiliar territory, figured no problem as the sun and stars will guide me. Hunted until dark, then the clouds arrived…………. That added an hour to an already long walk. Lesson learned. I’ve never been “misoriented” hunting before and never since. Damn clouds.

Besides gun, compass is my first go to item in my little camelback. Knife (2x knives, little and big), water, pistol, watch with small compass, real compass, lighter, 550 cord, woobie, scooby snacks. And now, I’d have a phone, turned off, as an added safety measure.

Old 11-25-2017, 17:02   #18
Dusty
Quiet Professional

Shot a nice 8 point out my kitchen window last week. Almost impossible to get lost.

Old 11-25-2017, 20:25   #19
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Shot a nice 8 point out my kitchen window last week. Almost impossible to get lost.
Ditto. My setup is a comfortable chair, sticks, good glass & a favorite 7-08 that I know very very well. On the lee side of the tractor shed thank you. (Done with that shooting a nice one in the valley and haulin' his butt back up.) Never fails on a Sunday, when half the woods on the ridge stirs around headed back to the house to watch the Nat'l Felons League they move the critters my way - damn near like room service.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:37   #20
rsdengler
Guerrilla

My other half called last night to say he shot a 7 Pointer and 2 Does...I like to think I contributed to the kill since I helped load the truck up and down the basement stairs 5-6 trips, hauling gear, bags, deer stand seat pads, supplies, blankets, pillows, backpacks, rifles, more gear, oh and food for a week...LOL....

"What do you want, Do you even know, And is it worth the pain, We all have to endure..........." TD

Old 11-26-2017, 08:43   #21
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I'm getting old so I can't walk the hills like I used to do. This is what I use for hog hunting. I have a back pack that I keep in the truck that has flashlights, knives, appropriate clothing, rain gear, etc. I have two pairs of binoculars, 10X50's for sitting and glassing. I carry small 8X25's that fit in my shirt pocket in case I do go walking. I have a Swarovski Rangefinder. Rifle is a Winchester M70 in .270 win. On occasion, I carry a Ruger Security Six in .357 Mag.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:09   #22
sfshooter
Guerrilla

Killed a smallish 4 point (that's an 8 point in other parts of the country) mule deer late evening yesterday. The area was wide open consisting mainly of sage brush and grass. Some rims and coulees and ground swells provide the only real cover. Seen them from the road but the wind was crazy strong (30+ mph) and an upwind stalk wasn't going to work. Drove a couple of miles and walked back up almost 2 1/2 miles to come up from down wind. I expected the one I seen to be a wide 2 point and was not going to shoot it if it was. About 800 yards out I had 30 minutes of legal light left and walking towards them in open view. They were all feeding and although the wind had dropped considerably at this time it was still blowing pretty good. I got to within 220 yards and watched them for a bit and decided I would just go ahead and take the shot even though I was after a bigger one. Today is the last day of season and who knows what it would have brought. My .300 win mag dropped it with one shot. By the time I finished gutting it, it was very dark (made the shot with 15 minutes shooting light left). Starting on my 2 mile hike down the road to go get the pickup I thought hard about having canteens as I was really thirsty by this time. I did get a ride the last 200 yards by the only vehicle that came by
All in all a successful hunt in an area that is tough to hunt but is known for large muley bucks. My carry set up worked but definitely need to add water.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason

Old 12-01-2017, 12:30   #23
Golf1echo
Guerrilla Chief

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Sent out some pieces with hunters this year. One got one of two tags for Mt Goat in a given area...he stalked them for two weeks caching his gear and returning every three days until he got his number two...hope he passes on some images.

The second hunter went for Elk, here are a few images:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elk Hunt 17 Timberline 1.jpg (29.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Elk Hunt 17 Timberline 2.jpg (58.5 KB, 22 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart