Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 06-05-2015, 09:21   #1
Penn
Area Commander

Pretense and food, funny article

A friend sent this to me some time ago, I thought I share.

So I'm sitting on the train reading the most recent New Yorker which is all about food and come across an article titled 'shut up and eat'. It provides a thoughtful discussion and opinion on our conversation about why the topic of food has become such a crazy obsession. If you do anything in the next 4 hours this must be one of the things. Short, funny and to the point.

Quote:
Imagine that you die and go to Heaven and stand in front of a jury made up of Thomas Jefferson, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Martin Luther King, Jr. Your task would be to compose yourself, look them in the eye, and say, “I was all about fresh, local, and seasonal.”
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/03/shut-eat

Have a lovely evening and many thanks for the unforgettable lunch!!
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:37   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I know this will probably piss-off TS and Penn but I think "presentation" at it's current level is way over the top. The only exception I would give would be to the Chinese and Japanese chefs because their's is more artistry. A few dots of rapberry jelly with a line of mint jelly and a ruffle cut tomato pales in comparison to the work of Asian chefs.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 13:10   #3
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I know this will probably piss-off TS and Penn but I think "presentation" at it's current level is way over the top. The only exception I would give would be to the Chinese and Japanese chefs because their's is more artistry. A few dots of rapberry jelly with a line of mint jelly and a ruffle cut tomato pales in comparison to the work of Asian chefs.
No soup for you!

Actually, I agree as well.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

I've always thought America was Great. Wouldn't it just be Great if we made it America Again?
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 14:15   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
No I agree with you, plain and simple is always good. Besides taste is where most folks draw the line, they could give a crap about how it looks.....
Old 06-05-2015, 14:51   #5
x SF med
Quiet Professional

good tasting is what I go for.... but I don't go for "Chow Hall" presentation either.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 22:10   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
good tasting is what I go for.... but I don't go for "Chow Hall" presentation either.
Aww - come on! SOS with three eggs over easy on top splashed with Tabasco and a side of hash browns? Add a cup of coffee and that's a masterpiece.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:21   #7
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Aww - come on! SOS with three eggs over easy on top splashed with Tabasco and a side of hash browns? Add a cup of coffee and that's a masterpiece.
Brother, I always got one huge pile of glop that was everything you asked for, and some you didn't, with burnt toast thrown on top.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:29   #8
MR2
Quiet Professional

Wow! How did you score burnt toast?

I've always thought America was Great. Wouldn't it just be Great if we made it America Again?
Old 06-06-2015, 08:58   #9
Penn
Area Commander

I agree to a point, with one exception, which is important to you as well when dining out. There is an expectation with regard to a professional level of execution. You have expectation and want them meet, relative to the establishment, price point, and service.
There is nothing better then sitting in a dockside lobster shack in Maine, eating just caught and cooked lobster with your hands. It's all together another experience sitting in a steakhouse, or a fine dining restaurant. Context is important.

One more thing, I disagree with the artistry statement, as design is culture specific. http://www.bocusedor.com/en check out the pictures and displays. Tom Keller placed second.

Last edited by Penn; 06-06-2015 at 09:06.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:28   #10
Guy
Quiet Professional

Red face Damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
One more thing, I disagree with the artistry statement, as design is culture specific. http://www.bocusedor.com/en check out the pictures and displays. Tom Keller placed second.
Is that stuff edible?

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:54   #11
Joker
Quiet Professional

Food is to be eaten not stared at. There's your Thanksgiving plate full of turkey, mashed potatoes, three types of vegetables, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, and here comes your mother's delicious ham, but your plate is packed full, so you put it on top as presentation be damned you're going to dig into this meal.

I'm trying to picture a well presented modern day plate put before some Vikings.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 16:08   #12
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I'm trying to picture a well presented modern day plate put before some Vikings.
That would be called Rome...

Old 06-06-2015, 18:49   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Easy, I have some Viking blood..... And my dogs, Loki and Balder have always enjoyed my cooking......
Old 06-06-2015, 19:34   #14
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Easy, I have some Viking blood..... And my dogs, Loki and Balder have always enjoyed my cooking......
Please tell me you just plopped into their dishes and did not "arrange" it!

Best "finger food" meal for me is steak, chicken, and shrimp fajitas cooked over mesquite. No rice and beans.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:55   #15
Guy
Quiet Professional

Talking

Quote:
Please tell me you just plopped into their dishes and did not "arrange" it!
This has me, cracking-the-fuck-up!

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote