Old 06-07-2009, 16:52   #61
Pete
Quiet Professional

Why are you "special"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceWine View Post
why am I special?....
I'll bet you were the only one who read my post and thought the way you did.

Everybody else got it. Why are you "special" and don't need to post an intro thread?

Attention to detail, son, attention to detail.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 17:02   #62
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceWine View Post
why am I special?
Hmm. well I fly ultralights and own a "minimax 449cc" A buddy and I installed the wings before I flew I put one on and tightened it down, and he put the other on, (failing to bolt it in) do to getting side tracked for a coke. (the drink)
I flew that day for about 15 minutes and after landing the wing slipped off.. I consider it special im still alive!
One would think with having been here a year you would have a lil more SA than you have displayed here today, one would think...

Tighten your shot group...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 06-07-2009 at 17:08.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:36   #63
11B2V
Asset

heh

In the words of my Jumpmaster instructor, 'Freaking WOW'.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:10   #64
kawika
Auxiliary

Anyone have any experience with tan desert boots that are fairly good for rucking. When I went through selection we were still using regular jungles. I didn't have that many blister problems but now using regular army issue tan boots I get hotspots in the bottom of my feet whereas before I could be fine with only resting for about 3-5 minutes every hour. This is at about a 14:00 minute pace.

I get the hotspots at around 45 minutes every hour starting at hour 2. I just need to be able to push through the last 15 minutes but that will cause a blister based on experience. So any suggestions for good tan boots out on the market now(no non issue type boots, I have merrels, asolos etc that work great but unfortunately can't use them). Just seeing what works for everyone these days, used the search function but haven't found anything concrete. Thanks

Last edited by kawika; 07-13-2009 at 20:14.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 20:27   #65
Sweetbriar
Guerrilla

May I add my humble addition to this topic? I'm on my feet all day and wear athletic shoes. As it turns out, what I had purchased online was the wrong, most perfectly awful, fit. Two days after getting the right pair of shoes in person at the store, I feel like I might not have to retire just yet after all!

Good shoes (and a properly fitted bra) will change your entire outlook on life and are worth every penny you can afford.

IMHO

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 20:38   #66
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
May I add my humble addition to this topic? I'm on my feet all day and wear athletic shoes. As it turns out, what I had purchased online was the wrong, most perfectly awful, fit. Two days after getting the right pair of shoes in person at the store, I feel like I might not have to retire just yet after all!

Good shoes (and a properly fitted bra) will change your entire outlook on life and are worth every penny you can afford.

IMHO

EUREKA!

That's IT!

I need to get a bra (properly fitting, of course) tomorrow so that my wife and kids will stop accusing me of being hard to live with!!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:52   #67
bosljeff
SF Candidate

On the topic of running shoes, for those of us at Bragg, Raleigh has a running store called Raleigh Running Outfitters that is an indy-run ma & pa shop with excellent gait analysis. Not only do they check your arch and so on, they record your foot (I think using High Speed HD camera) on a treadmill to watch your foot impact the ground...excellent store. Best place to get a true perfect fit.
919-870-8998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

IMHO

I promise, I graduated long ago....
bosljeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 14:49   #68
DragonSlayer
Asset

Boots at SFAS

I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer on what is currently required at SFAS in terms of boots. I don't want to wast time and money breaking in boots that will get me disqualified.

Can I assume that black boots of any kind are no longer acceptable?

Are there more strict requirements concerning tan boots than are outlined in the Army regs (670-1)?

In particular, I have Danner Desert TFXs and Magnum Amazons.

Additionally, do they go easy on stuff like 6" boots?
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 15:22   #69
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

DragonSlayer:

Having been a member here for a year now one would think that you would know to make an Intro in the appropriate place as your first post. That said you need to do so before posting again. You need to re/read all the stickies and rules as well.

The ability to follow simple instructions is something we assess for at selection.

As for your question, with the use of the search button your question can be answered.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 16:19   #70
Joe_Snuffy
Asset

I have a foot related question that one of the docs might be able to answer [or anyone with experience really]:

My feet are decently conditioned thanks to my stint thus far in the Army so they don't blister to easily [I don't really get hot spots until 10 miles, and don't start shredding them until about 14-15 miles if I haven't rucked in a few months] but when I do get blisters they aren't held in by a thin layer of skin but rather buried under a couple millimeters of it, and if they burst I end up losing that nice protective layer of toughened skin. Are there any tips for countering this, or do the standard foot care tips apply?
Joe_Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 16:35   #71
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Snuffy View Post
I have a foot related question that one of the docs might be able to answer [or anyone with experience really]:

My feet are decently conditioned thanks to. . . . [I don't really get hot spots until . . . shredding them until about . . . . Are there any tips for countering this, or do the standard foot care tips apply?
You sound a tad proud of those blisters, you should be.
Protect your hands, without them you can't shoot. You are an extra body to be cared for. GLOVES
Protect your eyes, without them you are blind. One or two plus you are out of the fight. BALLISTIC GLASSES.
Protect your feet, without them you are going nowhere. Two or four plus you are out of the fight. MOLE SKIN.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 16:44   #72
Joe_Snuffy
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
You sound a tad proud of those blisters, you should be.
Protect your hands, without them you can't shoot. You are an extra body to be cared for. GLOVES
Protect your eyes, without them you are blind. One or two plus you are out of the fight. BALLISTIC GLASSES.
Protect your feet, without them you are going nowhere. Two or four plus you are out of the fight. MOLE SKIN.
Roger. I just wanted to confirm a hunch that I just needed to better apply the basics. I mean my feet are firm, but there is always room for improvement. Just picked up a whole bunch of moleskin too [the PX on my COP doesn't carry it] and am going to be hitting up the medics for more once I get a chance. Thanks for the info.
Joe_Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 18:33   #73
DragonSlayer
Asset

@Surgicalcric: Having plenty of experience in a trade (which my profile outlines adequately enough, a feature that I would think renders the intro thread redundant) that requires meticulous attention to detail, particularly following instructions, I made my initial post on the introduction thread, as prescribed. I made several other posts that month on various threads, to which none were replied, and I haven't checked back on this forum since then. I have no idea why my initial posts no longer appear. You will find a new post made in “Introductions IV,” per your request.

I also consider myself savvy enough to have exhausted the search resource after many hours of reading without finding a current answer to my question, neither on this site, nor other sites or in books. I posted in this thread because other relevant threads haven't been touched for years, and this seemed better than creating a new one. I know that the folks at SFAS have a strict interpretation and application of the regs. I have seen this question posed on these forums, and I have seen the answers as well as the ridicule. Interestingly enough, much of the information is quite old, even referring to soaking the old black issued boots in oil and all that good sauce (the outdated information about black boots is still in Get Selected, too). I suspect that the current suede boots are not appropriate for that treatment. Then there is the restatement of the word “issue,” which I am not sure about, given regulations that don't seem to require issued boots. I have not been in the Army, but I know what the regs meant in the USMC, and for a person with stupid wide feet and high arches that fit nothing available from authorized manufacturers, it meant I had to break the rules and get boots that fit. I had this discussion with many a belt-fed SNCO. Wearing those shitty, ill-fitting "issued" boots during basic training and jump school resulted in fractured metatarsals and spiral shin fractures, which is a condition I don’t care to duplicate. The current Army regs on boots seem liberal enough to cover my case, but if the SFAS cadre is squashing people for wearing Danners, then I’ll settle for getting approved boots, whatever they may actually be, and pay to have them modified to fit my feet. All I’m looking for is clarification. It was my hope that a helpful chap who is currently or knows cadre at SFAS would find my post and illuminate me, or at least point me in the right direction (i.e. something other than the vaunted search button, which yields inadequate results.)
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:53   #74
hoot72
Guerrilla

Wierd as it sounds, but I have reverted to using office socks (thin one's) with my salomons and find I blister less, shoes and foot dry faster in the sun and I have a far more snug fit with my shoes.

Anyone tried this before? Instead of using thick cotton socks..
Old 03-08-2010, 05:02   #75
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
@Surgicalcric: Having plenty of experience in a trade (which my profile outlines adequately enough, a feature that I would think renders the intro thread redundant) that requires meticulous attention to detail, particularly following instructions, I made my initial post on the introduction thread, as prescribed. I made several other posts that month on various threads, to which none were replied, and I haven't checked back on this forum since then. I have no idea why my initial posts no longer appear. You will find a new post made in “Introductions IV,” per your request.

I also consider myself savvy enough to have exhausted the search resource after many hours of reading without finding a current answer to my question, neither on this site, nor other sites or in books. I posted in this thread because other relevant threads haven't been touched for years, and this seemed better than creating a new one. I know that the folks at SFAS have a strict interpretation and application of the regs. I have seen this question posed on these forums, and I have seen the answers as well as the ridicule. Interestingly enough, much of the information is quite old, even referring to soaking the old black issued boots in oil and all that good sauce (the outdated information about black boots is still in Get Selected, too). I suspect that the current suede boots are not appropriate for that treatment. Then there is the restatement of the word “issue,” which I am not sure about, given regulations that don't seem to require issued boots. I have not been in the Army, but I know what the regs meant in the USMC, and for a person with stupid wide feet and high arches that fit nothing available from authorized manufacturers, it meant I had to break the rules and get boots that fit. I had this discussion with many a belt-fed SNCO. Wearing those shitty, ill-fitting "issued" boots during basic training and jump school resulted in fractured metatarsals and spiral shin fractures, which is a condition I don’t care to duplicate. The current Army regs on boots seem liberal enough to cover my case, but if the SFAS cadre is squashing people for wearing Danners, then I’ll settle for getting approved boots, whatever they may actually be, and pay to have them modified to fit my feet. All I’m looking for is clarification. It was my hope that a helpful chap who is currently or knows cadre at SFAS would find my post and illuminate me, or at least point me in the right direction (i.e. something other than the vaunted search button, which yields inadequate results.)
I am not SF... but you expect a positive outcome from this "Belt fed" wall of text fired off like a Javelin at Cric?

Wow.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote