Old 05-26-2012, 07:21   #16
ScubaNinja
SF Candidate

I'm in

Thanks mud slinger, but I'm in now. Got selected. Keeping my eye on the prize, because I still have a long way to go. Like the reaper said the army is getting smaller and they're looking for any reason to DQ guys. I had a long tough battle, but when I get my mind set on something nothing stops me. The story is long and complicated of how I got back in, completely legitimate, but I'd like to say I just took the, dare I say, unconventional route.

I'd like to give other guys advice who are having a hard time getting in, but each situation is different. I knew I didn't have what I would consider good reasons for not being able to re-enlist so I knew I wasn't gonna take no for an answer. It all comes down to one question, and this applies to pursuing any goal or dream, How bad do you want it?
ScubaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:43   #17
Roboterlein
SF Candidate

Well, that seems like quite a story to hear. Last post, you said you were perm-DQ'd and now you've been selected! Congratulations!
Roboterlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 13:32   #18
mud slinger
SF Candidate

That's good Scuba I'm glad you were able to get back in. I hate to see guys get screwed by recruiters. So you were able to get a 18X contract?
mud slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:15   #19
KP34
SF Candidate

Just read this thread and thought I'd offer a little insight from my own recruiting experience for anyone currently dealing with medical issues. Last spring I got a commissioning physical at the Brooklyn MEPS. During the eyesight portion of the physical, my uncorrected eyesight was determined to be 20/30 in each eye. I was then hurried to the next portion of the physical with no further testing to establish my corrected eyesight, or prescription. Earlier this year I received a conditional release from my NR unit to take an 18x contract. During the paperwork process, I was unable to receive a grade determination because I was medically disqualified for eyesight. The results of the physical at Brooklyn showed that my CORRECTED eyesight was 20/30 in each eye, which is a disqualifier for the 18x. My recruiter had me see a private optometrist on my own dime, who faxed him a report saying that my uncorrected vision is 20/30, and both eyes are correctable to 20/20. About two weeks later, I reported to MEPS in Boise to have my eyes tested by their staff. They gave the same report, correctable to 20/20. After another couple of weeks, I was sent to a private optometrist for a consult scheduled through MEPS. Her report came back identical to the other two. So, with three reports saying that my eyesight was fine, I was assured that the entire problem was just a paperwork screw up, and would be straightened out soon. The next news I got from my recruiter was about three weeks later, letting me know that the eyesight waiver had been denied. I asked who I could contact to try to straighten what must be a misunderstanding, and I was told that all possibilities had been exhausted, I should either start a new packet with the NG or apply for an Infantry O slot. I immediately called a contact at the Batt Recruiting Office who had helped me get the conditional release from the NR, and explained the situation. He was able to speak directly with those on the medical side and clarify what the problem had been. About three weeks later I was at MEPS in Boise doing my Inspect and signing the papers for 18x. On a side note, even after all that they tried to get me to take an Airborne Ranger slot, acting as though there weren't any 18x contracts available, so don't fall for that shit. I guess the moral of the story is if you feel as though you've been wrongly barred for medical reasons, or any other reason, don't take the word of your recruiter as the final word. Go as high up the chain as you possibly can and make your case. Best of luck.
KP34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 21:32   #20
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

Not to get on my Soap Box,

but this is what socialized medicine is like. Do we really want the government running our health care? I think not... Back on subject, I am impressed by all of the efforts by these individuals to enlist in the army. You are all fine young men and will represent the regiment well. Good luck to in all of your future endeavours and may God bless you and your families.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:22   #21
Flick
Asset

Good word possibly?

Well my recruiter actually called me yesterday and now because my consult went well it looks like I might not have to be a med waiver after all and I might still have an 18x opportunity. And the waiting for word continues...Good luck to everyone in a similar process. Best of luck to everyone getting through and still trying to! In the mean time we could all continue in our routines!
Old 06-17-2012, 14:20   #22
TaiNormand
Asset

I know there are a lot of military cut backs but I thought they wanted to expand SF, so why are they DQ'ing people so easily?- 18 Y/O civilian wanting to go SF after college.
TaiNormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 17:58   #23
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiNormand View Post
I know there are a lot of military cut backs but I thought they wanted to expand SF, so why are they DQ'ing people so easily?- 18 Y/O civilian wanting to go SF after college.
Because first, we have plenty of 18s right now, and second, we can afford to be picky, this is Special Forces, not Average Forces.

There are a number of discussions about this, and why we do not accept the blind, broken, mentally unstable, diseased, etc., etc.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote