Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 05-05-2017, 11:46   #61
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ11B View Post
Another option for urban area E&E could be large diameter storm drain systems underneath roads in large cities. I think the trick would be in pre-planning route to ensure accessibility and making sure you have options for "opening paths".
I'd never choose this "route' for a number of reasons. In a very large city you have two choices, get out before the human tsunami or wait until the tide recedes and get out after.

And if you live within a largely populated area you have better already made E&E plans as your options will be severely limited.

Old 05-08-2017, 14:52   #62
tonyz
Area Commander

Did a little test today.

88F 38% humidity.

Flat ground out of a small city - through some really shitty portions (about 3-4 mile stretch) of a city.

Cargo shorts with snivel/cut/scrape gear filling pockets.

1liter of water, 1 cliff bar. glasses and case, wallet, .380 and 1 spare mag.

Made it 12 miles to destination in almost exactly 3 hours and I was tired - but I am a FOG. Had maybe about another 10 miles or so in me before long rest required. The old injuries, aches and pains began to visit - but I have done no training.

Time to start training.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old 05-08-2017, 17:31   #63
Brush Okie
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Did a little test today.

88F 38% humidity.

Flat ground out of a small city - through some really shitty portions (about 3-4 mile stretch) of a city.

Cargo shorts with snivel/cut/scrape gear filling pockets.

1liter of water, 1 cliff bar. glasses and case, wallet, .380 and 1 spare mag.

Made it 12 miles to destination in almost exactly 3 hours and I was tired - but I am a FOG. Had maybe about another 10 miles or so in me before long rest required. The old injuries, aches and pains began to visit - but I have done no training.

Time to start training.
Good job.

If you have never done it before rucking day after day will wear you out. You have to learn to pace yourself. If you exhaust yourself everyday you will make mistakes from fatigue. I can't tell you how to pace yourself but it is a good lesson to learn.

Old 05-08-2017, 19:44   #64
LarryW
Area Commander

Stealth is key. Goal is to survive 100 miles (and for me that may take a while (FOG)). 5 miles/day? Fine with me. Burn fewer calories, besides why the rush? Outfit with poncho & liner, gloves, sox, spare glasses, head cover, etc. BoB with hydration system, purification pills, salt pills, first aid kit, compass, fire starter, etc. Weapons only as needed for food and last ditch to repel boarders including: No long gun or heavy sidearm. Carry long bow (45# with 12 shafts (mixed heads incl hunting/fishing tips), survival take down .22 and 200 rds, K-bar and folding knife. Live on the flora/fauna available. Carry only the store-bought hi-protein food stuff you feel is absolutely essential. Slow and steady invisibility. I'll make it.

Old 05-08-2017, 20:01   #65
TJ11B
Asset

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I'd never choose this "route' for a number of reasons. In a very large city you have two choices, get out before the human tsunami or wait until the tide recedes and get out after.

And if you live within a largely populated area you have better already made E&E plans as your options will be severely limited.
TS

I couldn't agree more with your assessment.

If a person is unfortunate enough to count themselves among the folks who live within a major urban area and have not hit the road before the mass exodus has begun then their options are seriously limited.

My thought was that maybe underground, large diameter storm drain systems etc., if properly mapped out, could serve a purpose for anybody trying to evade organized thuggery i.e. (roadblocks, bad spots) in their effort to make to make it out of such an area.

V/R

Old 06-06-2017, 04:43   #66
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

This could be an addition to the kit. I'm buying one just for the gee-whiz factor. A slingshot that can shoot arrows, which even has a bowfishing attachment, could prove very useful for the hunting/gathering portion of the trek IMO.

http://www.thepocketshot.com/store/c..._Products.html

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke