Go Back   Professional Soldiers > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Never gets any better
Old 05-26-2017, 17:43   #1111
cbtengr
Area Commander
 
cbtengr's Avatar
 
cbtengr is offline
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,886
Never gets any better

Three Racks of Baby Backs today here is the before and the after.
ribs1.jpgribs2.jpg
__________________
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2017, 17:58   #1112
tonyz
Area Commander
 
tonyz is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Three Racks of Baby Backs today here is the before and the after.
Attachment 33732Attachment 33733
Awesome before...

....and even "awesomeer" after !
__________________
The function of wisdom is to discriminate between good and evil.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2017, 18:05   #1113
PSM
Area Commander
 
PSM's Avatar
 
PSM is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cochise Co., AZ
Posts: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Three Racks of Baby Backs today here is the before and the after.
Attachment 33732Attachment 33733
Good incentive, thanks! Smoking a brisket tomorrow. A first for me.

Pat
__________________
"Hector Lives!"

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2017, 18:28   #1114
cbtengr
Area Commander
 
cbtengr's Avatar
 
cbtengr is offline
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Good incentive, thanks! Smoking a brisket tomorrow. A first for me.

Pat
Good luck with that brisket Pat, I tried one once then went back to the ribs and pork butt, a man has got to know his limitations!
__________________
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2017, 18:35   #1115
PSM
Area Commander
 
PSM's Avatar
 
PSM is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cochise Co., AZ
Posts: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Good luck with that brisket Pat, I tried one once then went back to the ribs and pork butt, a man has got to know his limitations!
I've got a trick up my sleeve. But we'll see.

Pat
__________________
"Hector Lives!"

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2017, 19:57   #1116
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional
 
Team Sergeant's Avatar
 
Team Sergeant is offline
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 19,933
I just want all of you to know, that when you post BBQ pic's, I hate you.

That is all.
__________________
"The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy, but where are they."
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2017, 21:06   #1117
Box
Quiet Professional
 
Box's Avatar
 
Box is offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 3,131
I know it is a lazy way of doing business... but I have been using a crock pot for my BBQ needs for several weeks. With retirement transition, job searching, and the effort to finish my degree before my final retirement date has consumed every last moment of my time...

(Well, except for the time I have allocated for surfing this god awful black hole of a bulletin board)

I take a nice pork tenderloin and give a good rub - then I put it in a crock pot with a couple tablespoons of liquid smoke, a 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, and a 1/4 of garden variety BBQ sauce.

I go about my day and come back a few hours later to shred it into a pot full of pulled pork. It isn't on the grill, but damn it is so good on a bun with some cole slaw.

I have done the same thing with chicken but instead of a bun and BBQ sauce I season it for shredded chicken fajitas and wrap it up in a warm flour tortilla with some feta cheese and some Pico de Gallo


...it would be much nicer to hang out by the grill with a cold road soda but I dont have the time right now
__________________
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, or The 1st Special Forces Regiment. The Department of Defense and subordinate elements bear no responsibility or liability for the content of these opinions. These opinions are provided purely as social commentary and entertainment and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

...Hillary Klint0n is NOT my president
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2017, 21:24   #1118
PSM
Area Commander
 
PSM's Avatar
 
PSM is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cochise Co., AZ
Posts: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I just want all of you to know, that when you post BBQ pic's, I hate you.

That is all.
Well, I hope you hate me come Tuesday. The pic is my new toy. (That's not my trick.) NO, it's not on the bare deck. It's now on a bed of pavers on the deck.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Okie Joe Smoker.jpg (46.7 KB, 18 views)
__________________
"Hector Lives!"

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2017, 22:31   #1119
Joker
Quiet Professional
 
Joker's Avatar
 
Joker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Well, I hope you hate me come Tuesday. The pic is my new toy. (That's not my trick.) NO, it's not on the bare deck. It's now on a bed of pavers on the deck.

Pat
I have that one also. Smoked several rack of ribs; countless skirt steaks, chicken, and shrimp fajitas; steaks; and many burgers.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2017, 00:28   #1120
PSM
Area Commander
 
PSM's Avatar
 
PSM is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cochise Co., AZ
Posts: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I have that one also. Smoked several rack of ribs; countless skirt steaks, chicken, and shrimp fajitas; steaks; and many burgers.
Any TTPs? This is my first time using an offset smoker. I ran mesquite charcoal through it twice to season it and it held the temperature well. I'm impressed so far.

Pat
__________________
"Hector Lives!"

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2017, 06:36   #1121
Joker
Quiet Professional
 
Joker's Avatar
 
Joker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Any TTPs? This is my first time using an offset smoker. I ran mesquite charcoal through it twice to season it and it held the temperature well. I'm impressed so far.

Pat
It is an easy to use grill/smoker that holds the temperature with very good results.

Plan on grilling a couple of steaks this weekend. Hum, I may throw some shrimp on too.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2017, 07:33   #1122
cbtengr
Area Commander
 
cbtengr's Avatar
 
cbtengr is offline
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
I know it is a lazy way of doing business... but I have been using a crock pot for my BBQ needs for several weeks. With retirement transition, job searching, and the effort to finish my degree before my final retirement date has consumed every last moment of my time...

(Well, except for the time I have allocated for surfing this god awful black hole of a bulletin board)

I take a nice pork tenderloin and give a good rub - then I put it in a crock pot with a couple tablespoons of liquid smoke, a 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, and a 1/4 of garden variety BBQ sauce.

I go about my day and come back a few hours later to shred it into a pot full of pulled pork. It isn't on the grill, but damn it is so good on a bun with some cole slaw.

I have done the same thing with chicken but instead of a bun and BBQ sauce I season it for shredded chicken fajitas and wrap it up in a warm flour tortilla with some feta cheese and some Pico de Gallo


...it would be much nicer to hang out by the grill with a cold road soda but I dont have the time right now
That's probably the best way to do a pork tenderloin, I have done them on the smoker and if you are not vigilant you will over cook them and they will be dry. They also do not have the fat content of a shoulder or butt so they will never shred like pulled pork from those cuts.
__________________
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2017, 07:38   #1123
cbtengr
Area Commander
 
cbtengr's Avatar
 
cbtengr is offline
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I just want all of you to know, that when you post BBQ pic's, I hate you.

That is all.
If you will give me at least 10 hours notice of being in my area I will have a whole rack set aside just for you.
__________________
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2017, 08:05   #1124
Badger52
Area Commander
 
Badger52's Avatar
 
Badger52 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western WI
Posts: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
If you will give me at least 10 hours notice of being in my area I will have a whole rack set aside just for you.
Pork. It's not just for Ramadan.
__________________
The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2017, 12:39   #1125
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional
 
Team Sergeant's Avatar
 
Team Sergeant is offline
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 19,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Any TTPs? This is my first time using an offset smoker. I ran mesquite charcoal through it twice to season it and it held the temperature well. I'm impressed so far.

Pat
Yeah, depending on what you're smoking after so much smoke, wrap it in tinfoil and return it.
Most proteins need only a bit of smoke compared to the long low heat needed to break down the protein chains that make the meat tender.
__________________
"The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy, but where are they."
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34.



Copyright 2004-2015 by Professional Soldiers
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies