SFPA Graduation Standard
Old 07-13-2016, 17:41   #1
Bechorg
Quiet Professional
 
Bechorg's Avatar
 
Bechorg is offline
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: >6000ft
Posts: 191
SFPA Graduation Standard

On top of everything you'll have to do just to get through the course, looming at the end will be the SFPA:

New graduation standard: 5 miler under 40min, 66 sit-ups , around 62 push ups. Plus 8 pull-ups after the run. The 5 mile route is a ton of uphill plus it's actually 5.22 miles. 30 guys failed the last run they did for this. Oh, but you've got this, right?

SFPA is done every month plus a ruck or run with the cadre every week. Fail his standard and you get counseled. Enough counseling and you go to the relief board. If you have a bad packet, you may find yourself failing your PT test.

Will all that training you should have done come back to haunt you?
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2016, 08:03   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional
 
Team Sergeant's Avatar
 
Team Sergeant is offline
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechorg View Post
On top of everything you'll have to do just to get through the course, looming at the end will be the SFPA:

New graduation standard: 5 miler under 40min, 66 sit-ups , around 62 push ups. Plus 8 pull-ups after the run. The 5 mile route is a ton of uphill plus it's actually 5.22 miles. 30 guys failed the last run they did for this. Oh, but you've got this, right?

SFPA is done every month plus a ruck or run with the cadre every week. Fail his standard and you get counseled. Enough counseling and you go to the relief board. If you have a bad packet, you may find yourself failing your PT test.

Will all that training you should have done come back to haunt you?
Good to know it's easy enough to pass while severely hung over and with a broken leg.

Soon the "standard" will be showing up and breathing.
__________________
"The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy, but where are they."
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2016, 18:15   #3
scooter
Quiet Professional
 
scooter's Avatar
 
scooter is offline
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tennesse
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Good to know it's easy enough to pass while severely hung over and with a broken leg.

Soon the "standard" will be showing up and breathing.
Shut up.

Seriously, did you have to walk 5 miles to school, uphill, both ways when you were a kid? Did you have to kill a man in the Q course to get your beret?

This a single event designed to make sure people haven't fucked off the whole Q course. It's not replacing anything.

It exceeds the PT test requirements at Ranger School. If this standard was in place there, it would have an enormous increase in attrition rates.

Everything was always harder in the past, and the new generation EVERY generation is a collection of fuck ups who never had to fight the Apaches the way I did, with breech loaded muskets. The people who have gone through the "weak and watered down SFQC" in the past 20 years have spent years acquitting themselves all over the world and have killed and bled and died in places and in battles that people will be reading about for decades.

The people coming out of the Q course now are no worse off then your generation was. I remember in 2004 the pre-9/11 holdovers screaming to get out of SF and to somewhere safe like SWC, because we were supposed to be teachers, not leading the indig across the assault line into a hail of bullets.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2016, 18:40   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional
 
Team Sergeant's Avatar
 
Team Sergeant is offline
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Shut up.

Seriously, did you have to walk 5 miles to school, uphill, both ways when you were a kid? Did you have to kill a man in the Q course to get your beret?

This a single event designed to make sure people haven't fucked off the whole Q course. It's not replacing anything.

It exceeds the PT test requirements at Ranger School. If this standard was in place there, it would have an enormous increase in attrition rates.

Everything was always harder in the past, and the new generation EVERY generation is a collection of fuck ups who never had to fight the Apaches the way I did, with breech loaded muskets. The people who have gone through the "weak and watered down SFQC" in the past 20 years have spent years acquitting themselves all over the world and have killed and bled and died in places and in battles that people will be reading about for decades.

The people coming out of the Q course now are no worse off then your generation was. I remember in 2004 the pre-9/11 holdovers screaming to get out of SF and to somewhere safe like SWC, because we were supposed to be teachers, not leading the indig across the assault line into a hail of bullets.

Yeah, some things were harder in the past and some things now are much much easier, just ask the Ranger females.
__________________
"The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy, but where are they."
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2016, 09:50   #5
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional
 
SouthernDZ's Avatar
 
SouthernDZ is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 527
At the risk of showing my age, can someone tell me what "SFPA" stands for?
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2016, 11:29   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional
 
Peregrino's Avatar
 
Peregrino is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Occupied Pineland
Posts: 4,515
I've been actively involved in SF since I showed up at SWCS in May of '78. I've watched standards yo-yo from one extreme to the other the entire time. High standards that make sense and have buy-in from all sides ensure the force receives quality troops. We all know what low standards produce and how long it takes to moderate the effects; I'm not wasting the time to elaborate. Arbitrary standards that don't make sense and lack buy-in damage morale and foster a "guardian of the badge" perception that attacks the ideals of professionalism we're supposed to be imparting on everyone (from the rawest SWCS student to the 3-star at USASOC) across our Regiment. If this new standard is to achieve its purpose, it must be tied to a requirement, sold as reasonable, applied impartially, and supported/maintained for sufficient duration that it becomes a part of the culture. To do otherwise guarantees it will be attacked as "a way to sabotage women attending SFQC" and promptly discarded as a subversive attempt to circumvent policy. Given that anything/everything we do to establish and enforce standards to ensure that we're "Special" instead of just "Good Enough" Forces is anathema to the social progressives demanding soccer trophies for everyone.

And for what it's worth - on the whole today's SF Soldier is the best trained, most lethal version I've been privileged to work with in the last 38 years. Not perfect and a little more narrowly focused that I would like but nonetheless they/you uphold the legacy with honor. As for the outliers - that's a leadership problem and solutions start in the team room. Some of the wisdom shared here and elsewhere gives excellent advice for those who recognize the requirement/responsibility for "fixing ourselves" and are willing to step up and lead.
__________________
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2016, 12:51   #7
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional
 
SF_BHT's Avatar
 
SF_BHT is offline
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sneaking back and forth across the Border
Posts: 5,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernDZ View Post
At the risk of showing my age, can someone tell me what "SFPA" stands for?
Special Forces Psychological Assesment
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2016, 13:14   #8
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional
 
SouthernDZ's Avatar
 
SouthernDZ is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Special Forces Psychological Assesment
Oh, thanks.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2016, 18:10   #9
MR2
Quiet Professional
 
MR2's Avatar
 
MR2 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 3,755
Is that the new name for a 2x4?
__________________
The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer


I've always thought America was Great. Wouldn't it just be Great if we made it America Again?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2017, 18:16   #10
Retread
Asset
 
Retread is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Yeah, some things were harder in the past and some things now are much much easier, just ask the Ranger females.
Q Course also used to be 6 months.

Talking to some of the Cadre when I went through, they said that the standard they WANTED to enforce was the UBRR, but the timing with opening up the field to females was feared to look overly suspect.

But, it's hearsay, for what it's worth.

Edited to add: Ruck weights went up to 55# dry at the same time standard. So dressed out with water is sitting right at 67# for 12 miles in 3 hours, if that makes you feel any better. Most guys agree with you that the standard could go up in some places.
__________________
"They should be caught, drawn & quartered, decapitated, and their ugly f%#kin' heads put on pikes in front of the White House." -Maj. Bill F. Weaver, USMC, 12 Sept. 2001

Last edited by Retread; 01-19-2017 at 18:22.
  Reply With Quote

Training Standards:
Old 01-27-2017, 13:44   #11
tom kelly
Quiet Professional
 
tom kelly's Avatar
 
tom kelly is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Posts: 591
Training Standards:

BE GRATEFUL FOR A DIFFICULT STANDARD, Because "THE ENEMY IS THE FIRST TO NOTICE YOUR WEAKNESS AND THE MISTAKES YOU MAKE BECAUSE EVERYDAY WAS AN EASY DAY"

Tom Kelly
__________________
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN: BUT, NOBODY WANTS TO DIE.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:29.



Copyright 2004-2015 by Professional Soldiers
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies