Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 17:04   #1
Silver_Panther
Banned Whiner
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada, British Columbia, Kamloops.
Posts: 30
Cowardliness and Emotional Control.

I used the search button, but couldn't find any detailed info sorry if I missed stuff.

Purpose of thread is similar to
NousDefionsDoc's thread on mind set.

I am not likely to ever be linked to SF in anyway other then
this form.
But perhaps the words of wisdom shared by the members will
help real candidates.

I am looking for general info on....
Controlling your emotions.
Over coming cowardliness.
Controlling adrenaline rush.

Are all the QPs a breed of men who started out as braver than your average man, Or is courage in the face of the enemy(what ever it may be) something a QP developed? If it can be developed, how?

Last edited by Silver_Panther; 06-28-2008 at 17:27.
Silver_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 19:55   #2
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional
 
Jack Moroney (RIP)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,093
Controlling one's emotions is a matter of maturity. Dealing with lack of physical courage is a matter of becoming competent in your necessary skill sets, having confidence in your training, knowing your strengths and weaknesses and dealing with them. Dealing with a lack of moral courage is a matter of a personality flaw for which there is no cure-unless you want to become a politician and become adept at talking out of both side of your mouth. I am not sure you want to deal with the adrenalin rush as much as recognize the symptoms and how you react to it so you can act in a rationale rather than a haphazard manner and that comes with experience and pushing envelope in a training situation before you put other folks at risk. Mastering how you react in these situations will allow you to exercise intelligent intiative vice just reacting as if you were following some damn immediate action drill.
__________________
Wenn einer von uns fallen sollt, der Andere steht für zwei.
Jack Moroney (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 20:09   #3
Silver_Panther
Banned Whiner
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada, British Columbia, Kamloops.
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post
Controlling one's emotions is a matter of maturity. Dealing with lack of physical courage is a matter of becoming competent in your necessary skill sets, having confidence in your training, knowing your strengths and weaknesses and dealing with them. Dealing with a lack of moral courage is a matter of a personality flaw for which there is no cure-unless you want to become a politician and become adept at talking out of both side of your mouth. I am not sure you want to deal with the adrenalin rush as much as recognize the symptoms and how you react to it so you can act in a rationale rather than a haphazard manner and that comes with experience and pushing envelope in a training situation before you put other folks at risk. Mastering how you react in these situations will allow you to exercise intelligent intiative vice just reacting as if you were following some damn immediate action drill.
Physical courage and Moral courage....
Can you please explain the two more?
Silver_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 20:16   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,440
Why?

Of what possible relevance are these questions to you?

TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 20:33   #5
Silver_Panther
Banned Whiner
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada, British Columbia, Kamloops.
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Why?

Of what possible relevance are these questions to you?

TR

1. Emotional Control.

Learning strategies for this would help
Improve every aspect of my life.
I seem to get confused on when its smart in life to bite my tongue or when to bare my teeth...

2. Overcoming Cowardliness

Sometimes I feel I take the cowards route or easy route to much
Just looking for ways to start small and build up.

3. Controlling Adrenaline Rush.

self defence, prevention of over reaction or no action
Silver_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:34   #6
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional
 
Jack Moroney (RIP)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Panther View Post
Physical courage and Moral courage....
Can you please explain the two more?
Physical courage requires an physical act on your part to deal with situations that threaten you, those around you, or those for whom you are responsible.

Moral courage is standing up for your beliefs and doing the right thing based on the values, mores, and tenets that make you who you are regardless of the personal pressures put on you to do something else that might benefit you personally or keep you out of a unfavorable light in the eyes of those who hold sway over you. This has much to do with personal and professional integrity.

In my book, moral courage is the more important of the two because it takes forethought and deliberate action based on who you are where you know exactly what the outcome is likely to be. It also provides a measure of consistency for those for whom you are charged to lead. Your soldiers always, always, need to know where you stand. While physical courage is important, it is often a result of action/reaction brought about by situations under which you have no control, that often are based on immediate reaction polished by training, peer pressure, fight or flight stimuli, or fear of failure. It is not always deliberate, although the outcome is usually positive-if you succeed. In many situations the aftermath is one of, "Damn, I don't believe what just happened" with a little, or a lot, of anxiety added to the mix. Both are necessary traits for a soldier/leader. Unfortunately for some, moral courage is often most easily gauged by someone's day to day actions while physical courage is only able to be measured after the fact and then is not necessarily a consistent trait because every situation is different. This is one reason why your training never stops as you prepare to deal with ever increasing uncertainties by honing and adding to your skills as you gather information/intelligence on the mindset of those against whom you will eventually have to stand and the environments in which you will operate.
__________________
Wenn einer von uns fallen sollt, der Andere steht für zwei.
Jack Moroney (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 15:04   #7
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)
 
greenberetTFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carriere,Ms.
Posts: 6,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post
Physical courage requires an physical act on your part to deal with situations that threaten you, those around you, or those for whom you are responsible.

Moral courage is standing up for your beliefs and doing the right thing based on the values, mores, and tenets that make you who you are regardless of the personal pressures put on you to do something else that might benefit you personally or keep you out of a unfavorable light in the eyes of those who hold sway over you. This has much to do with personal and professional integrity.

In my book, moral courage is the more important of the two because it takes forethought and deliberate action based on who you are where you know exactly what the outcome is likely to be. It also provides a measure of consistency for those for whom you are charged to lead. Your soldiers always, always, need to know where you stand. While physical courage is important, it is often a result of action/reaction brought about by situations under which you have no control, that often are based on immediate reaction polished by training, peer pressure, fight or flight stimuli, or fear of failure. It is not always deliberate, although the outcome is usually positive-if you succeed. In many situations the aftermath is one of, "Damn, I don't believe what just happened" with a little, or a lot, of anxiety added to the mix. Both are necessary traits for a soldier/leader. Unfortunately for some, moral courage is often most easily gauged by someone's day to day actions while physical courage is only able to be measured after the fact and then is not necessarily a consistent trait because every situation is different. This is one reason why your training never stops as you prepare to deal with ever increasing uncertainties by honing and adding to your skills as you gather information/intelligence on the mindset of those against whom you will eventually have to stand and the environments in which you will operate.
Sir,

I stumbled across this post and saw you have written a book....I'm a collector of SF military books and wondered if it's still in print and who is the publisher...Do you know if it's still available?

GB TFS
__________________
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 15:45   #8
Chris Cram
Guerrilla
 
Chris Cram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Sir,

I stumbled across this post and saw you have written a book....I'm a collector of SF military books and wondered if it's still in print and who is the publisher...Do you know if it's still available?

GB TFS
I suspect he was speaking figuratively. But if it does exist formally, in a white paper or such, I think it would be a worth while read.

Quote:
Physical courage and Moral courage....
Can you please explain the two more?
Since this question was asked, it seems that these concepts are not as generally understood as we may think they should be.
I believe these are subjects that should be taught by word and dead, from father to son.
(parent to child) IMHO
__________________
cc-out

Last edited by Chris Cram; 08-22-2008 at 16:49.
Chris Cram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 18:51   #9
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional
 
Jack Moroney (RIP)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Sir,

I stumbled across this post and saw you have written a book....I'm a collector of SF military books and wondered if it's still in print and who is the publisher...Do you know if it's still available?

GB TFS
I was speaking figuratively. Most of what I would have to put in a book would best be done by those more talented and wiser than I.
__________________
Wenn einer von uns fallen sollt, der Andere steht für zwei.
Jack Moroney (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 19:11   #10
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional
 
Ambush Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: DFW Texas Area
Posts: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post
In my book, moral courage is the more important of the two because it takes forethought and deliberate action based on who you are where you know exactly what the outcome is likely to be.
What he's saying is "In my Book" = "In My Opinion" It's all a matter of context.


Take care.
Martin
__________________
Martin sends.
Ambush Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 15:19   #11
Mike
Quiet Professional
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 194
I think you are born with it, or at least end up with it as a result of your formulative years.
You spend the rest of your life looking on in amazement at the weak links who don't seem to have it.
__________________
Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:53   #12
Toaster
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ft. Polk
Posts: 263
Is there a difference in fighting ability/spirit of married and single Soldiers?

I recently had the honor of spending some time with a WWII, Korean, and Vietnam CIB recipient who was a glider and senior parachutist. Tough old bastard who could kill at the drop of a hat even in his old age...He was quite sold on that married Soldiers were less likely to return fire and engage as quickly as single Soldiers.

I find this an interesting and curious opinion and was wondering if anyone with experience would opine on the subject.
__________________
You can change what you are and where you are by changing what you put into your life. -Zig Ziglar


"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 22:13   #13
angus mac
Asset
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11
I know people who have killed and I have met one murderer. The people who have killed do not talk about it,nor do I ask about it. The murderer told me in detail about what and how he did it. I know for a fact he was not lying. He had no conscience. He and I were alone in a dormitory,other people were away from us and he came to me and got to talking. He relished in what he was telling me. He wanted me to understand that it would not bother him to do it again. I listened to him without saying anything,even though he made me sick. I made sure from then on to have an awareness of where he was. I was glad when we were seperated. There is a lot of difference between a killer and a murderer. This p.o.s.was and is classified(in my book)as a coward with no qualities of having any emotions.
angus mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:35.



Copyright 2004-2019 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies