Go Back   Professional Soldiers > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 09-23-2019, 13:56   #451
Tandem
Asset

Only my second run back after pulling my hamstring around two months ago and taking the time to heal it, still tender but making good strides.

3 miles at 23:56, I was hurting and hating every minute of that last mile. I know the cardio will come back, but that was not fun.
Tandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 22:37   #452
Landslide
Asset

Just completed a big milestone, the last stop before the big show at SFAS. I had a great time and made a lot of great friends! Here's how I did and how I stacked up.

APFT: 270 overall. 97 points on pushups, 79 points on situps, 94 points on the run, 10 pull ups. This event is the hardest to see how you compare to others, you can only hear so many other people's scores, but I feel that this was a middle of the pack performance. There were a few who didn't meet the SF standard, there were guys closer to the minimums, and there were a few 300s, but my score was probably close to average for the class. There were definitely a lot of people who got more pull ups than me.

4 mile ruck: Just under 45 minutes, about an 11:10 pace, I finished in the top 10 (I think 7th), and the fastest guy came in just over 43 minutes.
5 mile run: 35:40, a 7:08 pace. This time was maybe in the top 20-30, the fastest guys came in around 31-32 mins.
6 mile ruck: 1:07, about an 11:10 pace again, finished 2nd in the class, about a minute behind the #1 guy
12 mile ruck: 2:12, 11:01 pace, finished 2nd again, first place guy beat me by 5 mins, nobody else finished for another 10 mins after me.

I didn't win any of the events but I'm really happy with my performance overall considering I'm racing against 100 other guys who all want to succeed in this pipeline.

Land nav: 4 iterations of 4 points each. Got 2/4 & 2/4 the first day on day & night iterations respectively, then 4/4 & 4/4 on the 2nd day. Was the first buddy team back and then tied for first team back on those last two iterations. The land nav at Mackall was a huge confidence boost and I'm glad I had the opportunity to get a good feel for the longer movements required and the techniques to stay on course while moving out. It makes a big difference when you become confident enough in your ability to move fast without getting lost.

I'm going to selection soon and I wanted to record my stats before I go. I think anybody with a healthy grip on reality wonders if they're doing enough or did enough. After years of thinking about it and planning for it before finally taking the jump, here I am, with all my strengths and all my faults, more or less the man who will soon be assessed, hoping that I am ready but not quite knowing if I'm going to have what it takes to make it. What I do know is that I'm very glad I started along this path. I've got a rock solid reputation in a great group of friends that I respect, and all of us have taken off in airplanes more times than we've landed in them. As one QP put it on this board, "all this, and a paycheck too."

Well, that's more than I could say a year ago, so I guess it's better than what I was gonna do!
Landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 00:04   #453
Joker
Quiet Professional

Dont fing quit!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 14:27   #454
Landslide
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Dont fing quit!
Followed this advice and I was selected.
Landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:02   #455
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Landslide: Outfuckingstanding. Congrats on your Selection.

Keep your eye on the SFQC bubble going forward... just as you previously have.

Go forth and do great things.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:43   #456
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Followed this advice and I was selected.
Fantastic! Do not lose sight of your near goals. Complete them as they come to you. Do not just look at graduation as there are speed bumps along the way.
And dont fing quit.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 13:41   #457
slippery_squid
Asset

Yesterday
2hr ruck @ 65# wet. Then 400m lunges

Today
15 rounds
Deadlift 6 @ 130%bw
20 sec rest
Pullups 6