Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Long read
Old 09-11-2017, 13:43   #76
Pete
Quiet Professional

Long read

This is a long read but near the end they talk about Hwy 1 being blocked. Notice the POed folks statements about that's the last time they evacuate.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weat...172537476.html

Old 09-11-2017, 14:40   #77
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
This is a long read but near the end they talk about Hwy 1 being blocked. Notice the POed folks statements about that's the last time they evacuate.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weat...172537476.html
I think South Florida took the brunt of the storm. It probably absorbed enough of the storm's energy to keep Tampa safer. We got pretty lucky with the storm bands too. Seems God's hand was over us.

On a good note. Our power was just restored!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper

Old 09-11-2017, 14:46   #78
Badger52
Area Commander

Just got word from the NG that our TF that does SAR (indiv first responder members from various counties) is on its way down there, along with a couple puppy handlers from the down the road by Volk ANGB. Imagine several other states have deployers to the area as well. Keep your wits about you & your feet under you.

Old 09-11-2017, 15:05   #79
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
I just heard from my sister, they drove down to Bonita Springs to check on my mom and said the place looked like a tornado went through their community. But they are fine, no electricity, no cell phone service, and not sure about their home right now. But they still won't leave and stay with my sister. My mother is acting like a child At least they are OK.
Glad everyone is alive!!! The video on the tv looks ominous...hope everyone is able to get back to normal soon.

Holly

Old 09-11-2017, 19:12   #80
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Rita, good to hear your family is okay.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.” – President Obama
Remember the Alamo!

Old 09-12-2017, 04:48   #81
rsdengler
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Rita, good to hear your family is okay.
Thank you , and I am glad everyone else made it thru the storm just fine. Except downed trees, a smashed truck, and in my mom's case, scattered porch awnings, carport pieces, siding, smashed in door, and trash all over..LOL...

It is great to know that there are still people out there that show so much support, and concern for others, even if they don't know them. This is how it should be....and I am glad to know that you guys/and gals on this site never waver, and have always shown great respect, and you really care, and it is genuine and thoughtful. You guys are just awesome.....

"Oh, it makes me wonder, what if I slip, will they catch me or watch me fall....." TD

Old 09-12-2017, 07:55   #82
bblhead672
Guerrilla Chief

Glad to hear that the affected QP's and forum members and their families are all safe.

It takes a week...
Old 09-13-2017, 11:52   #83
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

It takes a week...

Although in the hours after the storm swept through and devastated St. Martin, survivors of the French and Dutch island began picking up anything they could find...it didn't matter if it belonged to them or anyone. This is just a survival instinct...I found it you lost it.

Then in the days following, the impoverished local residents began picking up more than just the scattered property of others...they began looting and robbing people at gun or knife point. Breaking into stores and retail shops taking higher end items. Items that may or may not ever be useful. (Who needs a 65" 4K SHHD TV when you have no electricity, cable service or TV providers?)

It takes a week...before lawlessness begins and a society breaks down to the lowest common denominator.

The governments of France and the Netherlands have deployed fewer than 2500 (2000 French - 200 Dutch) military personnel to restore order and perform humanitarian assistance. The population of St. Martin before Irma was ~77,741. That relates to approximately 1:38 ratio of protector to protected and if the military and local law enforcement have the duties and responsibilities to distribute food, water, and shelter, well, there isn't much left for providing security and law enforcement.

Anyone of us who have ever been tasked with restoring order and rule of law in an impoverished country know it takes an overwhelming presence or use of force to control the situation.

When the local residents run out of food...the temporary and upperclass residents and tourists who have not left will feel the impact and wrath of those who had little before the storm and have nothing after the storm.

If St. Martin and the Dutch and French governments are not careful and make mistakes and missteps the wealthy will leave for their safety and the locals will be thrown bones from a hapless humanitarian disaster assistance program that ultimately be ineffective and inept.

St. Martin the next Caribbean Haiti.

It takes a week...?

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.” – President Obama
Remember the Alamo!

Old 09-13-2017, 13:12   #84
tonyz
Area Commander

Looters don't ever seem to loot work boots...Red Wing shoe store is probably safe...

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old 09-13-2017, 13:30   #85
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

SO far it looks like all hands are accounted for. We still don't have comms with most, but those with cell are relaying msgs.

Just found out a friends home is lost. He evac'd to Ft L and stayed with family. Looks like a couple chunks of internal walls remain. The "open water" in the lower left used to be two(2) 60ft lots, now completely washed away..

NOAA has started posting the sat photos of the Key's.. You need to zoom all the way in. Still waiting on the lower Key's where the eye crossed,, also where I lived for 16yrs.. I suspect they will load other areas as available..

http://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (89.7 KB, 28 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Old 09-13-2017, 13:32   #86
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Looters don't ever seem to loot work boots...Red Wing shoe store is probably safe...

They aren't looters....
they are simply rescuing valuable items from the flood waters
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, or The 1st Special Forces Regiment. The Department of Defense and subordinate elements bear no responsibility or liability for the content of these opinions. These opinions are provided purely as social commentary and entertainment and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

...Hillary Klint0n is NOT my president

Old 09-13-2017, 22:01   #87
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
They aren't looters....
they are simply rescuing valuable items from the flood waters
This article suggests there's a whole lot of rescuing going on...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...OWER-POLE.html

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old 09-13-2017, 23:23   #88
Scimitar
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
It takes a week...?
Truly interesting.

Thanks ODNT

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam fiedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
Maori saying

Old 09-14-2017, 04:39   #89
rsdengler
Guerrilla

LOL...all I have to say is that at the next midnight street basketball game in your everyday druggy neighborhood, a lot of people will have nice, new, white Nike's on their feet.....

No, to be serious, that is just wrong. Those idiots have no care, or compassion for others in need; except their own. Yea, let's loot a Nike store so we look good in our freaking white sneakers .....Ass Wipes..Oh, and hey, let's steal a utility pole.....really? A freaking 30 foot metal pole on the top of your stupid redneck vehicle won't give you away? Moron Sucking Scumbags.....

"Oh, it makes me wonder, what if I slip, will they catch me or watch me fall....." TD

Last edited by rsdengler; 09-14-2017 at 08:24.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:01   #90
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
This article suggests there's a whole lot of rescuing going on...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...OWER-POLE.html
Meth is a truly tragic drug. Stealing a metal light or sign pole. What in the EFF are you going to do with that?

"I Think I'll build a porch! I never done that before, but I really think I can do it!"
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper