Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Comedy Zone

Old 04-16-2019, 11:40   #16
rsdengler
Guerrilla Chief

Ha.....to tell you the truth, I don't drink any hard liquor. But if I did want a taste of Whiskey I would pour it in a glass, smell it, "sip" and roll it around in my mouth a bit, and then swallow....LOL....

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:43   #17
275RLTW
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I first learned of the Gill on a Business trip to Scotland(cera 1981?). A local friend took me to a private club(a buddies garage) where all drinks were either 1/4 or 1/2 Gill served in a 4oz glass with a bit of room for ONE ice cube.

Although all pubs will serve a dram or shot, you will get a smile from the bartender if you order a Gill (4oz US vs 5oz UK)

A wee dram is a bit small for my liking :]

one Gill = 32 Drams
So having 2 drinks is not being an alcoholic. Learning has occurred.
275RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:14   #18
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
So having 2 drinks is not being an alcoholic. Learning has occurred.
You are correct - 2 glasses of whiskey = perfectly acceptable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 drinks.jpg (23.3 KB, 23 views)
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, or The 1st Special Forces Regiment. These opinions are provided purely as social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

...Hillary Klint0n is NOT my president

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:16   #19
275RLTW
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
You are correct - 2 glasses of whiskey = perfectly acceptable.
Now to convince people that having them with breakfast is for cultural reasons.

And lunch...and dinner...and a nightcap.
275RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 14:49   #20
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Gulp is something that rednecks do with cheap NASCAR beer - it is not how civilized people drink Bourbon, Irish Whiskey or a good Single-Malt Scotch.

I suppose if you are one of those heathens that drink double malt scotch or some other nonsensical type of blended whiskey - a belt or even a slug would be suitable or even appropriate. (not as a way of quantifying the size of your drink but as a physical form of punishment for your poor life choices)

If one needs to "swallow, belt, or gulp a large amount in a single moment" then I would just assume that they are talking about an 8 dollar bottle of Kentucky Gentleman or a half empty bottle of Early Times that was stolen from underneath the threadbare smelly overcoat of a passed out homeless bum sleeping under a bridge. You know what Iam talking about - the same kind of people that would drink ThunderBird out of a plastic champagne flute.............
Please don't needlessly disparage the "lesser" distillates, they too serve their purpose. Though beneath the dignity of a connoisseur, they are not valueless. Even the swill in the half gallon plastic bottles on the bottom shelf at the Class VI has value if it can be used to divert the cretins who would blithely adulterate the more refined offerings with base contaminates, i.e. cola. Personally, I've been known to bait the bar with a half gallon of Jack Daniels just to distract the dipsomaniacs from my W2O.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 15:35   #21
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Please don't needlessly disparage the "lesser" distillates, they too serve their purpose. Though beneath the dignity of a connoisseur, they are not valueless. Even the swill in the half gallon plastic bottles on the bottom shelf at the Class VI has value if it can be used to divert the cretins who would blithely adulterate the more refined offerings with base contaminates, i.e. cola.
The American distillers guild is more than capable of creating the finest whiskey in the world, but for the stinking laws,, and profit margins..

I truly would love to see the US (not sure if it's ATF or Food & Drug or ICC) eliminate the stupid law(s) that regulate the whiskey industry.

One of the most abhorrent codes is that ALL whiskey distillers must use brand new oak barrels and they can only be used once.

Whereas the Scots and Irish will use a barrel multiple times. In fact, they purchase "used" American barrels.

They also use wine barrels from all over the EU for the distinct flavor they impart during the maturation period. Port, Burgandy, Brandy, both red and white USED wine casks.

ALSO, American distillers need to start aging their product to some acceptable length of time. It is the maturing process that makes truly great whisky.

By law, in Scotland, whisky must be matured for a minimum of three years. If a bottle of Scotch whisky shows an age statement, e.g. "12 Years Old" means that the youngest whisky in the bottle is at least 12 years old.

In the US they wait until the molasses is thoroughly stirred, then bottle.,, well, maybe a one or two, but not long enough.

The aging problem is economic, when the whisky sits for a year, it makes no money. Let it sit 18 yrs?? AND let the alcohol evaporate thru the porous wood.

Approximately 29 million gallons evaporate out of Scotish barrels every single year. It's called the angels' share and one reason great whisky is expensive.

link: ainglean a ’roinn uisge-beatha

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 15:53   #22
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

;
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
It's called the angles share and one reason great whisky is expensive.
This is an acute problem in the states. Am I right on this, or am I being too obtuse?
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 17:26   #23
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
;

This is an acute problem in the states. Am I right on this, or am I being too obtuse?
Not Obtuse, to the point, There are some boutique distillers that are moving in the right direction, but slowly.

I am not sure why. Distillers in Scotland and Irland have a couple of hundred years practice, but Whiskey has been made in the US from the get-go.

George Washington, at Mount Vernon(c ref), was one of the largest distillers in the US, so were several other founding fathers. But what they made was a matter of what is available, corn, wheat, rye, oats, barley...

I think the early US distilleries were partially bound by Puritan attitudes, while the early Scots and Irish were mostly Catholic and didn't give a dam for the English or Martin Luther and the Reformers.

link: Mt Vernon Distillery

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:45   #24
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

JJ - IIRC it's only bourbon that has strict regulations WRT how it's made. Complaints about the "laws" are just that, complaints. Bourbon is still whiskey, it's just produced to a rigid standard; reminiscent of the German beer purity laws. American distillers can produce anything they want; they just can't call it Bourbon if it doesn't meet the nine criteria codified in the laws/regulations. If you ever get the chance I recommend taking the Bourbon Trail tour in KY. Well worth your time and certainly educational. (Kind of disappointing too; especially when you learn how many American distilleries are actually owned by foreign interests.)
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:18   #25
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
JJ - IIRC it's only bourbon that has strict regulations WRT how it's made. Complaints about the "laws" are just that, complaints. Bourbon is still whiskey, it's just produced to a rigid standard; reminiscent of the German beer purity laws. American distillers can produce anything they want; they just can't call it Bourbon if it doesn't meet the nine criteria codified in the laws/regulations. If you ever get the chance I recommend taking the Bourbon Trail tour in KY. Well worth your time and certainly educational. (Kind of disappointing too; especially when you learn how many American distilleries are actually owned by foreign interests.)
This topic is best discussed over a variety of fine whiskeys!
bblhead672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 22:05   #26
G2squared
Auxiliary

Wink Thanks Box!

Box,
Thank You for bringing attention to the truly important things in our lives. Of all of the BS that media and our country consider important, none is as worthy of our time spent reading as your wisdom in text here.
Thank you again for initiating this dialog.
2 GLASSES down and carrying on.

G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote