Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Most disturbing photo I've seen in a decade
Old 03-20-2017, 12:59   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Most disturbing photo I've seen in a decade

Since when did Special Operations cdr's entertain social justice warriors and social media billionaires?

CEO of Lockheed I could see, CEO of Colt, Aimpoint, Remington, etc. I could understand, but a pimple faced, pillow biting frat-boy that enjoys fakenews and bows to communist censorship......

I'm at a loss.

I stopped receiving google Special Forces alerts because of this "image".

Good luck in the Army Special Operations, you're going to need it.

( I now tell people that I'm a retired parking lot attendant. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZuckerbergTovo.jpg (73.6 KB, 426 views)

Old 03-20-2017, 13:47   #2
Brush Okie
Area Commander

Like it or not social media is a driving force behind today's world. The US, Armed Forces and SOF especially better learn how to use it to their advantage, our enemies have. What that commie fuck stick is talking to who he is makes me wonder as well. The reality is we can learn a lot from him even if we do not like him or agree with him. Isn't know your enemy one of the lessons we learned? Beside the last couple of years I have lost respect for the "leadership" of the Army, very few if any warriors left in the command structure, they are all political hacks.

Old 03-20-2017, 14:07   #3
Razor
Quiet Professional

Is the COL in the background Rick Angle?

Old 03-20-2017, 14:11   #4
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

He was invited with "eyes wide open". There's something to be learned from everyone. You don't have to subscribe to the underlying ideology to get something useful out of the engagement. (I've always gotten an inordinate amount of pleasure using lessons learned from libs in ways they find abhorrent. )
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)

Old 03-20-2017, 14:34   #5
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
He was invited with "eyes wide open". There's something to be learned from everyone. You don't have to subscribe to the underlying ideology to get something useful out of the engagement. (I've always gotten an inordinate amount of pleasure using lessons learned from libs in ways they find abhorrent. )

Old 03-20-2017, 15:49   #6
bblhead672
Guerrilla

The woman behind Zuckerbum doesn't look happy to be there.

Old 03-20-2017, 15:56   #7
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
The woman behind Zuckerbum doesn't look happy to be there.
And neither does the man.

IMHO.

Holly

Friends:
Old 03-20-2017, 16:13   #8
Cobwebs
Quiet Professional

Friends:

Well the old adage holds true. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. One can only hope that is what's taking place. Still unsettling to say the least.

Old 03-20-2017, 17:23   #9
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Agreed.

Moore's Law is having an incredible effect on our entire world.

Not just direct effects, but 2nd, 3rd, 4th order effects we are all scrambling to understand, leverage, or mitigate.

The Informational power possessed by Mark Zuckerberg translated/transferred into a relative value comparison against all other non sovereign powers throughout history would place him at or near the top of the pyramid, with considerable room for more power acquisition.

The world's largest privately held intelligence collection and perception shaping platform on the planet is an entirely new entity with enormous and growing economic, geopolitical, and potentially "digital sovereignty" power.

I'm left with very mixed feelings.

It's like a head on car crash between Collosus: The Forbin Project and The Circle, mixed in with a bit of Rollerball

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colo...Forbin_Project

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_..._(Eggers_novel)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollerball_(1975_film)

Unprecedented, non governmental, privately held, power.

Old 03-20-2017, 18:24   #10
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Agreed.

Moore's Law is having an incredible effect on our entire world.

Not just direct effects, but 2nd, 3rd, 4th order effects we are all scrambling to understand, leverage, or mitigate.

The Informational power possessed by Mark Zuckerberg translated/transferred into a relative value comparison against all other non sovereign powers throughout history would place him at or near the top of the pyramid, with considerable room for more power acquisition.

The world's largest privately held intelligence collection and perception shaping platform on the planet is an entirely new entity with enormous and growing economic, geopolitical, and potentially "digital sovereignty" power.

I'm left with very mixed feelings.

It's like a head on car crash between Collosus: The Forbin Project and The Circle, mixed in with a bit of Rollerball

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colo...Forbin_Project

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_..._(Eggers_novel)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollerball_(1975_film)

Unprecedented, non governmental, privately held, power.
You "get it". A lot of people don't. The potentials inherent in FB (social media in general) are mind numbing. We're like a weatherman in the path of a Pacific cyclone trying to influence its course. How do we leverage what we can and mitigate the effects of what we can't? And on a related note - what is ethically permissible? Do ethics even apply when you're in an existential battle for survival?
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)

Old 03-20-2017, 19:07   #11
Brush Okie
Area Commander

Quote:
How do we leverage what we can and mitigate the effects of what we can't? And on a related note - what is ethically permissible? Do ethics even apply when you're in an existential battle for survival?
No. in general ethics in the context of social media do NOT apply. What we do need to do is look at the long term instead of short term, something this country does NOT do well in any area of combat and we are getting worse. Reminds me of my section on psyops operations in 38A school. Social media could be a great tool and combat multiplier, or it could destroy us if we do not use it properly.

Old 03-20-2017, 19:45   #12
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Hopefully, he came away with something, too.

Ideally, the feeling he should get can be summed in one word:
Touchable.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)

Old 03-20-2017, 21:42   #13
frostfire
Area Commander

No matter what his leanings, he comes across as very sharp and one who does not settle into complacency:

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/2017...year-of-travel

"This year, Zuckerberg has said he plans to visit 30 states to accomplish his goal of visiting and meeting people in every U.S. state.

In a Facebook post announcing the personal challenge from Jan. 3, he said the tour was his latest effort to learn new things and grow outside of his work. Past challenges have included running 365 miles, building an artificial intelligence for his home, reading 25 books and learning Mandarin.

“After a tumultuous last year, my hope for this challenge is to get out and talk to more people about how they're living, working and thinking about the future,” Zuckerberg said.

Zuckerberg said his “Year of Travel” will help shape his ongoing work at Facebook and with the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, which he founded with his wife, Priscilla Chan, in late 2015.

The initiative’s goals are to "advance human potential and promote equality in areas such as health, education, scientific research and energy.""

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post
Hopefully, he came away with something, too.
I hope someone sharp applied generous dose of MICE and RASCLS. He got access and placement to the nth degree. It would be ideal to have him on our side...off the books

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Old 03-21-2017, 00:35   #14
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
No. in general ethics in the context of social media do NOT apply. What we do need to do is look at the long term instead of short term, something this country does NOT do well in any area of combat and we are getting worse. Reminds me of my section on psyops operations in 38A school. Social media could be a great tool and combat multiplier, or it could destroy us if we do not use it properly.
I'm no SME, but when I look at the history of not only how the West brought down the Warsaw Pact, starting in Poland with Solidarity, but particularly with how the Soviet Union and its allies polluted the west thru active measures in the form of war protest movements, anti-nuclear movements, etc....the effects have been very long lasting.

One could almost make a claim that "active measures" and their 2nd, 3rd, 4th order effects have resulted in long-term genetic damage to the fabric of societies.

So many have rallied against the development and deployment of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons due to their horrifying and lasting effects.

But we seem to have allowed a new(more like unknown/unrecognised) class of intellectual/cultural/tribal weapons of mass destruction to be deployed and fired with reckless abandon.

To me it seems like we watched as Intellectual/cultural/tribal phosgene gas sprayed on the population in the 60's/70's/80's, took a decade long nap, and then watched again as Intellectual/cultural/tribal VX got sprayed on everyone.

Meanwhile, it seems like our "betters" have "inoculated" us with polonium instead of atropine.

Internal threats.

External threats.

Emerging threats.

Technological threats.

Both the volume and complexity of the problems we face are accelerating.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:24   #15
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
You "get it". A lot of people don't. The potentials inherent in FB (social media in general) are mind numbing. We're like a weatherman in the path of a Pacific cyclone trying to influence its course. How do we leverage what we can and mitigate the effects of what we can't? And on a related note - what is ethically permissible? Do ethics even apply when you're in an existential battle for survival?
The good guys have to win.

As I started turning grey I've been shifting away from kinetic towards non kinetic problem solving, with some great work done by one of your retired SF Group commanders as a pathfinder.

There's a lot of new words, doctrine, and dogma that many are using for internal organisational influence, rather than external influence.

It's "Gangs of New York" not just with AK47s, but with smart phones.

And not just for bad guys to attempt another Mumbai(which I genuinely don't really think about despite that Ahole Headley getting snapped in a Philadelphia Eagles Hat), but for bad guys to move up the spectrum towards legitimacy and a malignant app enabled Boss Tweed.

It's also "Empires of New York" with the rise of transnational social media oligarchs acting as digital sovereigns.

The book "Ghost Fleet", in my opinion, was a truly terrible digital generation's answer to Red Storm Rising.

The Soviet's didn't come across the Fulda Gap, but Iraq invaded Kuwait and the Soviets imploded. Great fiction, but it never happened.

Just as I seriously doubt the Chinese will ever invade Hawaii, but the US will(it already is) face "multi-domain" conflict, but in a different context, meaning both external and internal transnational threats we do not expect, and/or are not prepared for.

Goebbels and Riefenstahl for the YouTube generation.

Digital WMDs that risk dangerous alterations to our cultural fabric and DNA.

Or worse.

Digital dominance thru a mix of monopoly user base combined with big data analytics and the icing on top of A/B testing of advanced neuroscience influencing technique based propaganda/marketing.

I'm reminded of the Milgrim Experiment that I cover in small team problem solving training in Bias/Influence Mitigation:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yr5cjyokVUs

Unethical.

But what about social psychologists who study addiction?

Who runs those A/B tests and why on next generation video gambling machines to enhance audio/visual for higher return on player investment?

How ethical is that?

We will certainly be going down some interesting ethical roads that's for sure.