Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 07-03-2004, 16:04   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Emergency Dental Kit

Click Me if you have a toothache

What do you think Saca?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 18:30   #2
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Let me do some research on what you guys would have available and what it would cost a civy to purchase.

Save your money... I will be back after a little 4th celebratin' tonight...and tomorrow day....and tomorrow night... LOL
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:07   #3
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

NDD-

Tell me how much room you want to dedicate to having a dental kit. In other words, how small a container the kit needs to fit into as well as what type of material the container needs to be made of for you.
  • Metal, plastic, or canvas rollup type case
  • dimensions @ AxBxC inches

You are looking for a "survival" type size emergency kit that would fit in your aid bag and not take up much room, right? This isn't something you want to have access to for anything except emergency patch and go while on the move, right?
Old 07-13-2004, 13:55   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I'll tell you like I used to tell NATICK

"It needs to be as small and light as possible..."

"Nope, still too big and heavy. Try again."

LOL

Seriously, dental emergencies are low priority to me in today's environment. Something like what's on that link would be good.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-13-2004, 14:10   #5
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Working on it...

I may make you up a "care package"...will vacuum seal it and send it to you after I work out what you need. Interested?

IT WILL BE small !!! LOL
Old 07-13-2004, 14:11   #6
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I'll tell you like I used to tell NATICK

"It needs to be as small and light as possible..."

"Nope, still too big and heavy. Try again."

And that surpised you? Natick, a laboratory under the command of AMC, which stands for A Million Civilians, dealing with things like the Federal Acquisition Regulations that almost mandate that contracts go to the lowest bidder, has only ever been able to produce the fog of war. Didn't you get that nice warm and fuzzy feeling everytime you looked up at your inflated canopy when you realized that it was made by someone who came in on the low side of the bid and probably had sufficient minorities and disadvantaged workers to meet the federal requirements for the chute.

Jack Moroney
Old 07-13-2004, 14:22   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Interested?
Always. LOL
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:17   #8
SwedeGlocker
Asset

How about this:

http://www.dentanurse.com/homeuse.html

[IMG]www.dentanurse.com/tubekit.gif[/IMG]
SwedeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:22   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Looks good Swede. Good find.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:31   #10
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

NDD-
Still working on a small kit. Trying to improvise very small containers of materials without allowing them to dry out yet be easy to dispense prn.
I am putting the temp bond (has two parts) in separate 1.0ml syringes with caps. It can be used for splints, recement crowns, pulp caps,etc.

Working on an easy to dispense IRM container (eugenol ligid and zincOxide powder) for temp fillings.

Everything else is accumulated. Will be putting together a very small reference card (laminated) and then will get back to you. trying to fit everything into a toothbrush container sized setup for you but packing everything I can into that you might need.
Old 07-27-2004, 19:27   #11
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Contents:
  • 1 syringe each of Temp Bond Base and Catalyst(2+ servings)
  • 1 syringe of Zinc Oxide powder (IRM base) and eugenol liguid (IRM solvent) (2+servings)
  • 1 syringe of astringodent hemostatic agent
  • 4 small bendabrush applicators
  • 1 plastic spatula/mixer
  • 4 coated mixing pad sheets
  • cotton rolls (4)
  • Cotton pellets ( @12)
  • occlusion marking paper (2)
  • wooden interproximal wedges
  • waxed floss @18" (2 strands)
  • double sided mirror (2 mirrors)

If you can do without the cotton rolls, then that will free up space for other things... I still have to get two sealed topical anesthetic (20% benzo on a cotton tip applicator) put in there and find a condenser for placing fillings.

This should allow for twp patients worth of emergency splinting of teeth ( temp bond or IRM ), pulp caps of broken teeth (temp bond or IRM), temp fillings (IRM), exam- foreign body removal, recement loose caps/crowns (IRM or TempBond)severe toothache (eugenol liquid on exposed pulp or benzocaine), etc ....

Anything else you can think of that needs to be in there?
Can't decide between a container as shown ( hard clear plastic with lid or a flatter/vacuum sealed packaqe which would be thinner but wider. Ideas?

Oh yeah, I will be making the instruction sheet soon. It will wrap around the outside of the container - making it look better and also allowing you to use the container as your instruction sheet as you work. I already marked each syringe is with a rubber color coded ring that should make ID'ing what's what easy. ( ie. orange rings indicate Temp bond base and catalyst verses the red ring which indicates the astringodent verses blue ring for IRM).

What do you think? pic showing dimensions(**EDIT to resize)....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg workinprogress.jpg (65.0 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 07-27-2004 at 19:47.
Old 07-27-2004, 19:44   #12
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I assumed that you pulled the magazine out of the pistol so that you did not have a misfire when you used the butt of the weapon as field expedient anesthesia

Jack Moroney
Old 07-27-2004, 20:05   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Good mag with rounds in a decent caliber.

How about some floss?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 22:47   #14
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Looks like a winner. Good job Saca!

I'm a little confused though, what do I do with the mag of rounds again?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-28-2004, 00:22   #15
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

Well, see... the dental kit is for repairs after you had the PT bite a bullet because you didn't want to dig in the bag for pain meds for a minor lac...
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote