Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Comedy Zone

Old 04-15-2019, 21:26   #1
Box
Quiet Professional

Whiskey

Whiskey is the water of life -George Bernard Shaw once called it, "liquid sunshine" some of the worlds most philosophical thoughts are a by-product of that wonderful brown liquor that I am certain made me so much more interesting to women when I was a young and single paratrooper - but dont take my word for it - here's what a few of my whiskey sipping associates have to say on the issue.............

Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. ~W.C. Fields

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

“The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whisky. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.” ~ Winston Churchill

I like to keep a bottle of whiskey handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. ~W.C. Fields

“I’m on a whisky diet. I’ve lost three days already.” ~ British Comedian Tommy Cooper

“Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak.” ~ Johnny Carson

Woman first tempted man to eat; he took to drinking of his own accord. ~ unknown

I don't get drunk — I get awesome. ~Author Unknown

It is true that whisky improves with age. The older I get, the more I like it.

Courage is a vitamin best swallowed with whiskey.

I've been reading so much about the bad effects of smoking, drinking and sex that I've finally decided to give up reading.

What's the difference between a dog and a fox? 2 shots of whiskey

If you drink too much whiskey people call you an alcoholic. If you drink too much Fanta, shouldn't they call you FANTAstic ??

I don't recycle because it makes me look like a huge alcoholic to my garbage man.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, or The 1st Special Forces Regiment. These opinions are provided purely as social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

...Hillary Klint0n is NOT my president

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 21:30   #2
PSM
Area Commander

Oh, I know who said this:

"Woman first tempted man to eat; he took to drinking of his own accord." Adam

Just look at his kids.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 21:30   #3
Joker
Quiet Professional

Good ones.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:40   #4
rsdengler
Guerrilla Chief

Makes me want to drink a swig of Whiskey......LOL.....

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:41   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Son, That's a fine list of proverbs you have

Slainte
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whisky-behind-is-kilt.jpg (18.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Jameson_Wkiskey.jpg (86.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg tax time.jpg (24.0 KB, 23 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:55   #6
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Mmmmmmmm Oban Little Bay....
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:06   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
A "swig" ?
Seriously? You got stuck on "a swig of whiskey" ???
...did you not read the thread ?

You take a "swig" of Listerine when you wake up in the morning to hide the smell of whiskey on your breath from the night before - you take a "swig" of iced tea after you finish some yard work - you take a "swig" of orange juice to wash down your bacon and eggs and biscuits and gravy and then you take a "swig" of coffee to wash the taste of orange juice out of your mouth...
...then you pour a SHOT of Irish Whiskey into your coffee because that is what a leprechaun would do.

Then you drink a SHOT of Scotch so they don't think you are beholden to the Irish.
Instead - you chose to post the word "swig" - shame on you.

Seriously - shame on you.

Who in the name of oak casks wants a "swing" - WC Fields would be ashamed of you.
...so would his snake
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, or The 1st Special Forces Regiment. These opinions are provided purely as social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:21   #8
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
...then you pour a SHOT of Irish Whiskey into your coffee because that is what a leprechaun would do.

Then you drink a SHOT of Scotch so they don't think you are beholden to the Irish.
What have you got against the American stuff? Are you ashamed of your country and the offerings of its many fine distilleries?!
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
Madam,

The proper unit of measure is a Gill(alt Jill)

Quote:
Gill, also spelled jill, in measurement, unit of volume in the British Imperial and United States Customary systems. It is used almost exclusively for the measurement of liquids. Although its capacity has varied with time and location, in the United States it is defined as half a cup, or four U.S. fluid ounces, which equals 7.219 cubic inches, or 118.29 cubic cm; in Great Britain the gill is five British fluid ounces, which equals 8.669 cubic inches, one-fourth pint, or 142.07 cubic cm.

The gill was introduced in the 14th century to measure individual servings of whiskey or wine. The term jill appears in the nursery rhyme “Jack and Jill.” Soon after ascending to the throne of England in 1625, King Charles I scaled down the jack or jackpot (sometimes known as a double jigger) in order to collect higher sales taxes. The jill, by definition twice the size of the jack, was automatically reduced also and “came tumbling after.”

https://www.britannica.com/science/gill-measurement

Old 04-16-2019, 08:50   #10
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
What have you got against the American stuff? Are you ashamed of your country and the offerings of its many fine distilleries?!
au contraire mon frère
- it is just an injustice to bring up something like Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey in a conversation about "swigs" - it just isnt right

you can take a shot of Scotch or Irish whiskey because they are best enjoyed as a 'shot'

You pour a GLASS of Bourbon and then you drink it.

Notice that I still haven't made any specific references to that blended crap they make in Canada. As a bit of trivia: Seagram-7 was bought by Coca-Cola in Y2K.
Seagram-7 is not so much "whiskey" as it is a 'soda accessory'
...and to add insult to injury, the original Seagram's distillery was turned into condominiums.
So, technically, I guess you could "swig" Seagrams - but you might as well drink Seagram wine coolers if you are just going to "swig" - Seagrams is the pale-skinned and weak vegan kid living his his grandmothers basement of the whiskey drinking world.

Last edited by Box; 04-16-2019 at 08:52.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:17   #11
275RLTW
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Madam,

The proper unit of measure is a Gill(alt Jill)
Wouldn’t that be for mixing a drink?

A dram is the standard measure for a drink of just whisky.
275RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:25   #12
Box
Quiet Professional

Ah yes - a dram IS IN FACT the defining measure for a single serving of whiskey.
A dram is also measured as "three scruples"

The problems is, after a couple of drams, some people tend to loose ALL of their scruples....

Old 04-16-2019, 09:35   #13
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
Wouldn’t that be for mixing a drink?

A dram is the standard measure for a drink of just whisky.
I first learned of the Gill on a Business trip to Scotland(cera 1981?). A local friend took me to a private club(a buddies garage) where all drinks were either 1/4 or 1/2 Gill served in a 4oz glass with a bit of room for ONE ice cube.

Although all pubs will serve a dram or shot, you will get a smile from the bartender if you order a Gill (4oz US vs 5oz UK)

A wee dram is a bit small for my liking :]

one Gill = 32 Drams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dram
unit of weight in the apothecaries' and avoirdupois systems. ... The avoirdupois dram contains 27.344 grains (1.772 grams) and is equal to one-sixteenth avoirdupois ounce of 437 12 grains.

The term also refers to the fluid dram, a measure of capacity equal to one-eighth fluid ounce.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:42   #14
rsdengler
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
A "swig" ?
Seriously? You got stuck on "a swig of whiskey" ???
...did you not read the thread?

Instead - you chose to post the word "swig" - shame on you.

Seriously - shame on you.
Lol...seriously what if I want to take a "swig" of whisky? What if I needed to swallow, belt, or gulp a large amount in a single moment? Ha....��

Ok....then give me a shot or a gill & be done with it.....Lol��

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 04-16-2019 at 10:44.
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:25   #15
Box
Quiet Professional

Gulp is something that rednecks do with cheap NASCAR beer - it is not how civilized people drink Bourbon, Irish Whiskey or a good Single-Malt Scotch.

I suppose if you are one of those heathens that drink double malt scotch or some other nonsensical type of blended whiskey - a belt or even a slug would be suitable or even appropriate. (not as a way of quantifying the size of your drink but as a physical form of punishment for your poor life choices)

If one needs to "swallow, belt, or gulp a large amount in a single moment" then I would just assume that they are talking about an 8 dollar bottle of Kentucky Gentleman or a half empty bottle of Early Times that was stolen from underneath the threadbare smelly overcoat of a passed out homeless bum sleeping under a bridge. You know what Iam talking about - the same kind of people that would drink ThunderBird out of a plastic champagne flute.............