Old 04-08-2007, 10:11   #91
wfraser
Asset

Street Light Bulb

Forgive me if I did not see this in the previous post but I thought I might run this by ya'll. Have any of ya'll used a street light bulb? I have a Cold Steel Recon 1 tanto that I carry everyday and the light bulb makes it razor sharp after a few hits. If anyone knows why this thing works please let me know. Thanks-
wfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:39   #92
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfraser
Forgive me if I did not see this in the previous post but I thought I might run this by ya'll. Have any of ya'll used a street light bulb? I have a Cold Steel Recon 1 tanto that I carry everyday and the light bulb makes it razor sharp after a few hits. If anyone knows why this thing works please let me know. Thanks-
Because the glass is harder than the steel.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:42   #93
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Cold Steel Recon 1 tanto
There's your problem right there, you need a real knife and not a airsoft childrens knife.

Team Sergeant
Old 04-08-2007, 14:00   #94
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Because the glass is harder than the steel.

TR
But, but, Rosie said that steel doesn't melt, ever in the history of steel making.
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 15:03   #95
wfraser
Asset

Recon 1

The Recon 1 ain't too shabby if you ask me. I watched the field test video that Cold Steel published and they sold me on it. I haven't tried any of the test to check the reliabilty of it though. It has superior cutting power and sharpens rather easily. I wouldn't put it in the airsoft class...
Old 04-08-2007, 15:28   #96
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The Recon 1 ain't too shabby if you ask me. I watched the field test video that Cold Steel published and they sold me on it. I haven't tried any of the test to check the reliabilty of it though. It has superior cutting power and sharpens rather easily. I wouldn't put it in the airsoft class...
I saw a video once on a 120 mpg carburetor insert. Looked real shiny.

I think I can get you a real deal on it if you are interested in buying the rights.

Seriously, I have a Cold Steel Trailmaster around here somewhere, and if I needed a visually impressive knife that cost less than $100, that might be one I would consider.

Sorry, but Lynn Thompson isn't selling me anything else.

IMHO, the Tanto point is not particularly effective, except visually. Kind of like shuriken.

If I need a real knife that I could count on, I would look to Harsey, Reeve, or one of the other blademasters. You might want to look through this forum before proceeding. We are getting Mr. Harsey's sharpening thread off track.

Cold Steel is a decent budget product with a lot of hype.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 04-08-2007, 16:03   #97
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Slander.......why not to buy from Lynn Thompson

Here's Lynns latest attack on Mick Strider. Is this not slander ? Since it bears on the last four posts take a read, then back to Mr. Harsey's thread on field sharpening.

[Edited to remove link. TR]

Last edited by The Reaper; 04-09-2007 at 09:46. Reason: Edited to remove link to web site slander we do not want linked.
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 16:16   #98
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Here we go.

Another diversion off topic.

In regards to Lynn Thompson's comments, let me say that I have known Mick for more than five years.

In all of that time, he has been a gentleman and has kept his word. He has never claimed to be anything other than what he is. He has been generous, as well as honest to a fault. He has not denied his record, though I am sure that some of it has embarrassed him. Who among us has not done stupid things at the age he was when that occurred? Probably involved at least two of the three Ws. Would Lynn like to have all of the embarrasing moments from his past dredged up and posted on the internet by a competitor?

The popularity of his knife designs, distressing as they may be to Mr. Thompson, are not really Mick's fault, nor are they a crime in the free market economy we all enjoy, including Lynn.

Where has Mick claimed to be a combat vet? IIRC, he was a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment, though he was (as he freely admits) never tabbed or deployed to combat. Regardless, that makes him a Special Operations soldier.

To bring this up and post someone's past transgressions on a web site strike me as more of a statement about Mr. Thompson and his personality than Mick Strider's.

As far as going to Tactical Forums to get further info, that ranks right up there with getting my news from the National Enquirer. Very few people at that website have any tactical experience, and they create ad hominem personal attacks when confronted by anyone with a differing opinion, as some members here have discovered the hard way. No thanks.

Hope that clears things up for you.

TR

Old 04-10-2007, 08:49   #99
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

TR,
Thank you for removing the link to CS. I agree with everything you say regarding Mick Strider whom I've known for some years now.
Yes Mick Strider and Cold Steel is a legitimate topic but please not in this sharpening thread.

First, any knife at all is better than no knife. I do not make judgements about what knife someone has to work with but I do have preferences based on performance, especially when that knife is life critical equipment in an emergency.

The purpose of this sharpening thread is to give the knife user a chance to sharpen whatever he has on him.

wfraser, I've never handled a street light bulb. Are you talking about the part that glows or the cover?
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 21:09   #100
Indian
Asset

[QUOTE=Bill Harsey]
The purpose of this sharpening thread is to give the knife user a chance to sharpen whatever he has on him. QUOTE]

I have tried just about everything for sharpening that has come done the pike, including everything posted in this most excellent thread, on many knives of various steels, styles and uses.

Bench sharpening has always been with my carborundum stone.

I've had mixed results field sharpening with diamond sharpeners. I'm talking about the 1" wide or folding types, which I like because they are light and easy to carry. I've gotten better results with EZE-Lap than with DMT sharpeners. It seems like the perforated face of the DMT sharpener gives me trouble and does not seem to cut as fast as the EZE-Lap. Could this be a result of poor technique or does the steel face make it just take longer with the DMT?

The 2nd question is wether it is worthwhile finishing off sharpening with an extra fine 1200 grit diamond, or is it better to stop with the 600 grit, considering the value of the "micro-teeth" left on the final edge? I used to finish with a steel, but am getting away from that.

I don't recall seeing this answered previously in this thread. Apologies if I missed it somewhere.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:50   #101
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Indian,
Light and easy to carry are exactly why I recommend the diamond stones for field use.
My first rule of noting a design issue (complaint) is to, if possible, take it to the manufacturer first. I have spoken to the past owner of DMT Diamond stones about the holes and was told I was the first person to ever bring this up. Thank you for noticing this.
I have also had concerns with the holes in the DMT sharpeners. They still cut good but when going around a curved edge I think the edge tends to possibly hit the front of the holes and not the surface. I have to be very careful holding my angle to avoid this. The DMT products are good stuff but I'd also like to see them in "solid" coating.

Do not go too fine with the final edge finishing, this takes away the aggressive micro saw tooth edge that provides the best cutting in field conditions.
This is why I use the Norton Fine India stone to finish on, it is a 320 mesh particle size surface.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 20:09   #102
John A. Larsen
Quiet Professional

Like Bill I have a Norton Med/Fine India mounted on my workbench, a gift from a CW3 that I sharpened a Argentinian short sword for. I also cut into the stone and pull back and use lamp oil that Bill sold me on some years ago. The final edge with a Norton Fine India is about the best I have found. Some years ago Sal Glesser, Spyderco knives, was amazed when Wayne Goddard used one of his knives to slice through a piece of rope like it was butter. The microscopic teeth the Norton Fine India puts on the edge of your blade are just as Bill describes, an awesome cutting edge. But being truthfull, I do not use it so much anymore as I have to go downstairs, and have a EZE-Lap dual hone right at my desk, Medium Grit on one side, Super Fine on the other, folds like a BaliSong. I used to carry one of the very small EZE-LAPs in my E&E kit, but like the longer sharpening surface of the dual hone and it keeps my hand further from the edge of the blade. I also like it as I use a lot of my knives, or ones I am testing to prepare food, and no oil is needed for the EZE_LAP, and it is light. I carry it in my day pack everywhere I travel. I noticed BadMuther saying he could not sharpen his KaBar. Sometimes if you have a softer steel it is harder to sharpen them as the edge just seems to roll from one side to the other. On the other side I started with an Arkansas whetstone and could not sharpen my Ben Hibben Jungle Fighter, tried and tried. Problem was the Arkansas stone does not remove much steel, and I would get worried I was not doing it right and stop. When i switched to a Norton stone, no more problems.
John A. Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:11   #103
Indian
Asset

Thanks for the response sirs. Sounds like I am doing the same thing as both of you, with the same stones, so I believe that indicates that I must continue to refine my technique. Probably the most important parts for me are patience and maintaining a constant, proper angle.

I also have found that lamp oil or kerosene works better on the Norton stones than WD-40. Back to reading.

Bob
Old 07-31-2007, 16:54   #104
wfraser
Asset

Late Reply

Mr. Harsey

Sorry for the late reply I just haven't check back recently. The part that I am talking about is the actual bulb out of a street light. It is about 6" in lenght and maybe 1" diameter. The only problem is the fact that it may break in the field or any ruff usage. I have purchased a few expensive sharpeners but none compare to the light bulb...go figure.

Before you go climb a pole, check with your local electrical service. They usally have tons of them. Thanks- Wilkes
Old 07-31-2007, 20:15   #105
clapdoc
Guerrilla

knife sharpener

If you can find one, an old glass coca-cola bottle will put a razor edge on a knife.
clapdoc is offline   Reply With Quote