Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:25   #1
Atilla
Asset

ROTC Summer training opportunities

Gents,

I wanted to get some opinions on summer training opportunities. I won't be going to LDAC until next summer so I have some pretty interesting opportunities this summer but I wanted to see what you gentlemen think in terms of how what I try for will help me and also if there are any ideas I haven't run across yet.

First of all I really wanted to do the JFKSWS PL program but as I was in Egypt this past semester I apparently missed the deadlines for application. I was kinda bummed about that cause I would have loved getting to be a G. I think I might still get a chance to do it next year as LDAC is only a month long (although you gents obviously know a lot more about it than I do so maybe I am just wishing in one hand and...in the other).

So this summer I am gonna try to knock out Airborne School. But I also might have another interesting interning opportunity to work at the Direct Action Resources Center. This is still in the baby stages of "it might happen" but I did want to find out if you gents think this would be of benefit to me to work at this private facility (as I understand it one of the Owners is a QP from 20th Group) and forego other military training opportunities (i.e. Air Assault, Mountain Warfare, Northern Warfare). From what I hear if this facility decides to use me this summer I will be exposed to some good training, will make me work hard, and it will give me a taste of some of the things I can expect as I continue down the road to 18A (maybe not as good as JFKSWS PL program but I don't have enough exposure to make that call which is why I am asking here) which is my main long term goal.

Do you gents recommend this over other summer training opportunities you can think of?
and
Are there any other options I am not thinking of that I should be?

Thanks for any help and I hope I posted this in the right place. As always just trying to increase my SA.

Sgt. Atilla
Old 02-05-2009, 08:47   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Gents,

I wanted to get some opinions on summer training opportunities. I won't be going to LDAC until next summer so I have some pretty interesting opportunities this summer but I wanted to see what you gentlemen think in terms of how what I try for will help me and also if there are any ideas I haven't run across yet.

First of all I really wanted to do the JFKSWS PL program but as I was in Egypt this past semester I apparently missed the deadlines for application. I was kinda bummed about that cause I would have loved getting to be a G. I think I might still get a chance to do it next year as LDAC is only a month long (although you gents obviously know a lot more about it than I do so maybe I am just wishing in one hand and...in the other).

So this summer I am gonna try to knock out Airborne School. But I also might have another interesting interning opportunity to work at the Direct Action Resources Center. This is still in the baby stages of "it might happen" but I did want to find out if you gents think this would be of benefit to me to work at this private facility (as I understand it one of the Owners is a QP from 20th Group) and forego other military training opportunities (i.e. Air Assault, Mountain Warfare, Northern Warfare). From what I hear if this facility decides to use me this summer I will be exposed to some good training, will make me work hard, and it will give me a taste of some of the things I can expect as I continue down the road to 18A (maybe not as good as JFKSWS PL program but I don't have enough exposure to make that call which is why I am asking here) which is my main long term goal.

Do you gents recommend this over other summer training opportunities you can think of?
and
Are there any other options I am not thinking of that I should be?

Thanks for any help and I hope I posted this in the right place. As always just trying to increase my SA.

Sgt. Atilla
Go to Ranger School.

Being a G can be fun, but will not be particularly helpful.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
Old 02-05-2009, 09:48   #3
Atilla
Asset

TR,

It was my understanding that this option is not open to me until after I got to IOBC. I know that some of the USMA cadets are allowed to go but as far as I know I am not allowed to attend Ranger school at this point unless someone is misinforming me... Believe me sir I would love to be corrected, if you know something I don't.

Thanks,

Sgt. Atilla
Old 02-05-2009, 10:18   #4
Richard
Quiet Professional

IMO...take the BAC option...and be prepared to sweat.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 02-05-2009, 11:18   #5
Razor
Quiet Professional

Having done both BAC and the VTARNG Mountain Warfare School as a cadet, I'd recommend going either the MWS route or see about getting a Sapper School slot.

MWS is (or at least was...its been a while) a very professionally run school teaching an interesting subject--the military application of rock climbing and alpine operations. You'll also set yourself up to get through the lower mountaineering portion of Ranger School fairly easily.

Short of attending Ranger School, the Sapper Course may be the closest you'll get to working small unit tactics in a demanding environment as a cadet. It would serve as a decent taste of what to expect at RS (patrolling, OPORDS, SUT, etc.), plus you get to do target analysis and make things go boom. Oh yeah, you also might earn the coveted Sapper Tab.

If you end up commissioning infantry, you'll get a BAC slot either before or after IOBC, so you might as well try to broaden your training now while you have some unique options (and some choice) available.

BTW, USMA cadets haven't been able to attend Ranger School since 1991.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:50   #6
Sinister
Quiet Professional

Formal military training

Basic Airborne Course. You will be in the Army system, getting an Army qualification, and be treated like any other Soldier.

Cadet Troop Leadership Training, if available. Better than nothing.

Go to Annual Training with an Army Guard unit. You're in Austin, you can research what's available at the AG Headquarters at Camp Mabry (there's a 19th Group det or company headquarters, a Long Range Surveillance det, and a Rigger platoon on Mabry).

If you can afford the gas, shoot the Interservice Rifle Championships and go to the National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio for the Small Arms Firing School and the M16 EIC Match. If you're good and/or lucky you may qualify for an Excellence-in-Competition Badge. If for no other reason you can strap-hang around the NCOs (Active, Guard, and Reserve) and get some trigger time. You can live in the barracks for cheap and you may be able to get a loaner rifle (at least while you're at the matches).

At the very least go to summer school and knock out some more credits (graduate with your class instead of with your buds).

Last edited by Sinister; 02-05-2009 at 12:54.
Closed Thread