Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 08-13-2010, 05:32   #121
BearW
Asset

Mr. Harsey

Yes sir, i've read the whole thread, and you're right it was a bit painful to do by times-though not as painful as watching me try to sharpen a knife. Some of the posts jump around a bit but it's nothing a little determination can't me get through.

I appreciate your input of whetstone lube, i got a lot of good tips. I guess at the end of the day i can read all the posts and watch all the dummy-proof ******* videos i want but the only thing that will make me a better knife sharpen is more time sitting on my work bench with a knife in one hand and whetstone in the other. Practice. Practice Practice.

Thanks for the help, Mr. Harsey

Bear
Old 08-13-2010, 06:54   #122
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Bear,
Your right, some of the posts here jump around a little bit and then some.

Get all the kitchen knives you own and stack them in order of least favorite to most important. Start sharpening the least favorite first and carefully work your way up. Get each knife sharp enough to slice newsprint.

Sharpening can't be that hard, knifemakers do it.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:31   #123
Ironmike
Asset

knives

Goog intell.

Last edited by Ironmike; 02-04-2011 at 09:15. Reason: add pictures
Ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:17   #124
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Thank YOU!

I have read this whole thread 3 or 4 or more times trying to glean all the information and apply. I would practice a little and then come back a review certain posts and then try some more.

I am making progress, getting better, and making some knives sharp again.

I wanted to thank Bill for starting this thread, and all the others like Reaper and CSB who contributed.

Not only are my Wustof kitchen knives sharp again but I have put good edges on my pocket knives that haven't been properly sharpened in years. I have a straight edge Kershaw Blackout that, for the first time can go through paracord with a single gentle pull.
I have a Navy Mk3 dive knife that Navy Diver friend gave me years ago. That 440A steel has been a bitch in the past and I managed to get a good edge that knife as well.

Again, thanks to all the shared their knowledge and experiences.

Even using my simple Smith's Tristone bench system with WD-40 (thanks for that Bill. Works much better than 'honing oil') I was amazed with what I could get. After working the edge with the necessary grit stones, I would follow with a few strokes of a hard arkansas stone to remove anything left of the bur, and finish with several brushes on my straight razor strop.

Now I only have to take out that Chef's Choice POS my mother bought us 3 Christmases ago for display when she's in town.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 05-11-2012 at 06:26.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:32   #125
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey;164998I have also had concerns with the holes in the DMT sharpeners. They still cut good but when going around a curved edge I think the edge tends to possibly hit the front of the holes and not the surface. I have to be very careful holding my angle to avoid this. The DMT products are good stuff but [B
I'd also like to see them in "solid" coating.[/B]
While looking for sharpening stones, I was reminded of this post when I came across these solid diamond stones from DMT. Perhaps they were listening to you, Bill.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DM...t-P405C24.aspx

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:57   #126
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Perhaps they were listening to you, Bill.
They do if they're smart. Bill knows stuff.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 17:49   #127
trunkmonkey
Asset

Being taught to sharpen

I was discussing this thread with my brother the other day and we had a good laugh about how our great grandfather taught us to sharpen knives. I thought it may not be educational but is definitely entertaining. Where I grew up we got our first knives at four years old. these were generally large, schrade, single blade folding knives. These knives were taped up in several layers of duct tape. You were not allowed to use your knife until you could remove all of the tape on your own (I think they melted it after applying). While you carried the knife around you would be asked how to cut xxxxx then show whoever asked how you would cut it using a stick. If you were safe about it they would take out their pocket knife and have you cut it with their knife. I was about 8 when i had to start going out with my great grandfather for a few days on horseback and help work cattle. We were sitting around the fire and my grandfather taught me how to sharpen my knife. he worked both knife and stone and had this double sided sharpener (super coarse and super fine) which was about 12 inches long and 1" thick. After a few hours i could put a decent edge on my knife. The next night we are sitting next to the fire and my great grandfather asked me for my knife. He took it and started cutting sandstone until you couldn't cut anything with it. After making my knife exceptionally dull he tied my leg to a tree an gave me my knife and a whetstone. It took a long time but i eventually got the hang of it and cut myself loose. After a few months and lots of practice I could sharpen my knife to shaving sharp reliably. Then the spot checking started. If he couldn't take my knife and stab it into a round bale and drag it end to end cutting all the baling twine he would close it and throw it as far as he could. As I would be out looking for it i could hear him telling me that a dull knife is about as good as a rock and rocks are for throwing. After he turned 96 he couldn't sharpen any more knives so I ended up doing it for him. When I was joining the Army he took my whetstone and threw it in the fire then broke his in half and gave me a 5" section. I still use this whet stone for all my sharpening from axes to pocket knives. It weighs about a pound and even though it is heavy i always carried it in my assault pack. I always have made room to carry it and still make every effort to keep every knife in my house shaving sharp.
trunkmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 18:25   #128
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunkmonkey View Post
Being taught to sharpen
That's a great story.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

I've always thought America was Great. Wouldn't it just be Great if we made it America Again?
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 19:49   #129
SF Candidate

Have you guys ever tried running your knife over some leather after its been sharpened? An old timer once told me to do that after he saw me sharping my knife. He said it helps to keep an edge longer.
44025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 22:33   #130
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mboog View Post
Have you guys ever tried running your knife over some leather after its been sharpened? An old timer once told me to do that after he saw me sharping my knife. He said it helps to keep an edge longer.
Let me guess.

You have never seen anyone sharpen a razor, right?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 22:35   #131
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mboog View Post
Oh, those wily old timers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_strop

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:42   #132
CA_TacMedic
Asset

I bought, own and still use my strop I bought. I actually bought it after reading a tutorial from Mr. Harsey on sharpening scissors. After that I started using it on my knives. I am still not really good at it, but the strop has definitely been worth what I paid for it.

Wallace

“If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared”
CA_TacMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 15:24   #133
JHB
Asset

For what its worth, I keep a piece of emory cloth the length of my foot in the sole of my shoe to work out the minor "kinks". Its lightweight, wont tear easliy and works better when wet.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." However, "Never let your emotion affect your training and your ability to kill the enemy first"
JHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:20   #134
judcargile
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
I am the worse knife sharpener in the world. I usually give mine to somebody that knows what they are doing in exchange for free medical care or something. I wish I could learn how to do it.

LOVE IT! Me too brother! I stink! (and I can not hone a blade either!)
judcargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40   #135
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by judcargile View Post
LOVE IT! Me too brother! I stink! (and I can not hone a blade either!)
Read the sharpening thread here. It's a sticky.

Read it again then sharpen your knife.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote