Old Yesterday, 10:50   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

Farming...

I saw hunting and fishing sections but not farming...
Throughout the years, I've read sporadic thread on planting your own crops as part of preparedness but they did not interest me until now

To avoid potential contact with COVID outside and not depend on vendors for my greens, I have been growing my own vegetables: Kale, lettuce, arugula, mustard (crops in less than a month! my type of farming lol)
It's been a priceless blessing to eat straight from your garden especially when I recall I used to pay $10 for kale salad at panera bread!

Spinach, beans, tomatoes, pumpkin etc are coming next. I used store-bought seeds but I have been browsing YT instruction on various vegetables you can buy and regrow. Daisy Creek Farms have solid tutorials. Potatoes seem too easy to be true but those will easily provide caloric needs when the rice and flour are gone from the market (Move over Matt the Martian )

Anyone having much success in the same pursuit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gar.jpg (113.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg kalletaru.jpg (31.8 KB, 16 views)

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; Yesterday at 10:56.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Got the herb section of the garden in. Only 5 tomato plants this year but three have blooms already. Put them in about 3 weeks ago - couldn't wait.

Put in some broccoli just to see how that goes.

And of course cucumbers and jalapenos.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:35   #3
rsdengler
Guerrilla Chief

Good job frostfire, I used to have a garden every year when I lived in my old house because I was on a few acres. Now I'm in a town home but I am going to grow veggies on my back deck in boxes. I have always done lettuce in a garden box, so I will now add tomatoes, radishes, and sweet peppers. Oh, and strawberries and herbs. Nice to be able to go out your back door and grab dinner. Good luck in your bounty....

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:21   #4
Airbornelawyer

I hate chickens. I hated crawling through the chickenshit-infested coop to gather the chickenshit-covered eggs and I hated washing the chickenshit off the eggs. I hated the roosters. I hated that even though they could not fly, the chickens learned they could make a wing-assisted jump high enough to get over the fence, so I had to chase chickens around the farm.

Other than that, farming's great.

Oh, there was also that time I crushed my finger in a pea sheller when I was about 7. And the time I got left behind on the combine and had to walk miles back to the farmhouse when I was about 8. My uncle got his finger bitten off by a pig, so I should count myself lucky.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:01   #5
7624U
Quiet Professional

I have all my plants started just have to transfer them into the garden

garden is 50ft x 20ft has 12 rows plenty for just the wife and I

been planting fruit trees, grapes, nut's bearing bushes, and berries.

This book was on the forum once and I downloaded it someplace but can't find it again has good farming info in it.

https://archive.org/details/JohnSeym...e/n21/mode/2up

"Robert A. Heinlein"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote