Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 03-26-2020, 11:26   #721
Cynic
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
Italy just had their 24th physician death due to COVID.

One of my daughter's friends is a nurse anesthetist reassigned to the ICU. She’s been issued a paper grocery bag with her name written on it in sharpie. If she needs to unmask, she’s directed to place her mask in the bag, being careful (!) to place it contaminated surface down and then fold the bag closed. She’s to reverse the procedure when donning the mask.

One. Mask. Per. Day.

This is so effed up I can’t even...

ETA this isn’t Madison. It’s a different Midwest state.
Here in tri-county Detroit area, we are reaching critical care bed capacity. Staff is to put their mask in the paper bag at the end of their shift, take it home, and bring it back to wear the NEXT day.
I sure wish someone had replenished our national stockpile 5-10 years ago. Ford and GM are taking point on ventilators but it all takes time. Some PPE is being created with 3-D printing. Yay us, I hope it's all in time.
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:48   #722
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Here in tri-county Detroit area, we are reaching critical care bed capacity. Staff is to put their mask in the paper bag at the end of their shift, take it home, and bring it back to wear the NEXT day.
I sure wish someone had replenished our national stockpile 5-10 years ago. Ford and GM are taking point on ventilators but it all takes time. Some PPE is being created with 3-D printing. Yay us, I hope it's all in time.
Just reading about Cuomo complaining about the shortages.

Seems he had the chance in 2015 to get ventilators but elected to install a DNR board to handle the volume in the next disaster.

Quote:
The task force discovered that were 7,250 ventilators in New York hospitals and about 1,900 in nursing homes – with most of them already in use. Even with the state’s own stockpile, that task force said there was only 2,800 total ventilators available, despite health officials’ warnings that a major outbreak could require 18,600 New Yorkers to be on the machines each week during the crisis’ peak.

Instead of buying the ventilators in 2015, the task force created a priority system for who would be put on a ventilator – red being the most dire, blue being the least – and assigned a triage officer, or “death panel” as Trump said, to make the life-or-death decisions.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...lators-in-2015

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 14:49   #723
Pete
Quiet Professional

Interesting milestone today,

Ever since this thing took off deaths had always outnumbered the "recovered" due to the length of recovery some needed.

As of now the latest update has it as 1,173 dead - 1,864 recovered. So those that got it first are coming out of it now.

Got to remember this does not count those with mid symptoms that were told to go home.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 15:51   #724
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Another bean-counter conundrum.

Why isn't the European Union being counted as a single government entity instead of individual states??

This AM I hunted their combined number for another reason,,

EU/EEA/UK reporting 232,470 cases with 13,692 deaths,,
USA reporting 80,021 cases with 1130 deaths

EU/EEA/UK population 515,000,000
USA population 330,000,000

EU/EEA/UK 4,944,753 km2 (1,909,180 sq mi)
USA 8,080,464 km2 (3,119,884.69 sq ml)

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

PS Forgot map
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the eu.jpg (52.6 KB, 10 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 03-26-2020 at 16:52.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 16:43   #725
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
My wife recently had a follow up radiology appointment to her December cancer surgery and they were not going to let me in the hospital with her even though she struggles with English comprehension and has severe allergies to a medicine in the contrast solution needed for the CAT-Scan. They eventually let both of us in.

You are right, patients need their advocates and people do better when surrounded by love. They may have to re-evaluate this policy especially for people that may be co-infected but showing no S/S.
i'm glad to hear they let you in with your wife. A patient should indeed have the comfort of knowing their loved ones are around.

My cousin had an emergency procedure for a blood clot in his leg (stent) and his wife was not allowed into the hospital, she was beside herself. Fortunately it all was ok and he was released today.
Old 03-26-2020, 16:45   #726
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Another bean-counter conundrum.

Why isn't the European Union being counted as a single government entity instead of individual states??

This AM I hunted their combined number for another reason,,

EU/EEA/UK reporting 232,470 cases with 13,692 deaths,,
USA reporting 80,021 cases with 1130 deaths

EU/EEA/UK population 515,000,000
USA population 330,000,000

EU/EEA/UK 4,944,753 km2 (1,909,180 sq mi)
USA 8,080,464 km2 (3,119,884.69 sq ml)

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
Considering what they regard as a contiguous border that's an interesting set of numbers.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 19:22   #727
mugwump
Area Commander

Death algorithm

In use in NY, apparently. It’s being passed around by docs I know. The pic lost resolution when I had to convert it from png to jpg to embed but you can puzzle it out. The starting number is your age.

7978D895-35CD-46B8-BD72-A10F778829A5.jpg

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 20:20   #728
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
“Terminal cutoff” is now being used to gauge the level of collapse of National HC systems. The French have gone to age 80 in Strasbourg. Swiss are the same. Italy was 65 but is going down to 60 sometime today, per local doctor reports. Even with the flattening of new infections in Italy, existing patients are lingering and deteriorating while new cases still pour in. Spain has been age 60 for a while now.

And we're following Italy and Spain’s infection trajectory.

Our own docs will be doing this soon—putting Americans down like ailing pets. They need legal cover...and they need something they can hold on to at 3 am when this is all over.

Really sobering. I had a lot left in me when I was 60!

Patients in hospital and patients in nursing homes who are older than 80 years are no longer ventilated. Instead, "terminal care with opiates and sleeping pills"

Report by German disaster physicians from the University Hospital of Strasbourg (France)
Just think if we go to the Medicaid for all good ole Bernie wants and many young Americans do then our entire system would be a permanent rack and stack system like Canada...where the old are given the minimum and comfort care and as the math has to work out in the system being overloaded the time shifts left to the younger and younger group
Old 03-26-2020, 20:32   #729
PSM
Area Commander

Supposedly, the first case on an Army fort is at Ft. Sill. A DoA civilian tested positive. Now the classes are frozen.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 21:49   #730
mugwump
Area Commander

Regarding the breathless reports of up to 20% of Chinese recovered cases testing positive again...the key sentence: "The researchers also found no evidence they were still infections, as family members all tested negative."

“Klaatu barada nikto”
Old 03-27-2020, 03:42   #731
Pete
Quiet Professional

So where are we?

Since March 21st the death count has been 46, 113, 141,, 225, 243 and then 268 yesterday.

Look at all the graphs at the link below. Yes, they are all going up - but none at the vertical that was predicted by now.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Yes, NYC is a basket case, some hospitals around the country are going to be swamped and cases will continue to go up.

But are we starting to win?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:02   #732
mugwump
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
So where are we?

Since March 21st the death count has been 46, 113, 141,, 225, 243 and then 268 yesterday.

Look at all the graphs at the link below. Yes, they are all going up - but none at the vertical that was predicted by now.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Yes, NYC is a basket case, some hospitals around the country are going to be swamped and cases will continue to go up.

But are we starting to win?

I’d say yes. Our CFR is nothing like that seen in Italy, Spain, or France. I haven’t seen any convincing reason why but I’ll take it.

We're definitely not out of the woods, especially with the spring break cases not even appearing yet, but I think we're on track for a 1%-1.5% CFR.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
Old 03-27-2020, 06:16   #733
mugwump
Area Commander

The video linked below is a fascinating window into so many, many trends: state surveillance, COVID-19 case tracking and contact analysis, loss of any sense of community responsibility...

The context here is tracking the population of one small beach in Florida as they return home. Expand this to all the other beaches in FL, TX, AL and you can see why those state governors were idiots.

Anywho, the type of analysis shown in this video is what the Chinese are using to assign red/yellow/green infection risk status to individuals in China via a cellphone app. If your phone has come within 2 meters of another phone carried by an infected person, your phone turns red and you’re a social pariah with no access to stores, public transport, etc.

This is why AI is such a big deal. Not a muahaha evil computer mind taking over the world but real-time analysis of social data to control populations. And Google is helping the commies do it, but that’s another post.

https://twitter.com/tectonixgeo/stat...034767361?s=21

“Klaatu barada nikto”
Old 03-27-2020, 06:20   #734
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...We're definitely not out of the woods, especially with the spring break cases not even appearing yet, but I think we're on track for a 1%-1.5% CFR.
Any word on the underground med net about the rate of use of Malaria drugs and their effectiveness? Supply?

At the start of the Med frenzy there was talk about they were in our system in limited numbers (lupus/arthritis users and limited travel to those Malaria areas) and some manufacturers like Bayer were donating 1.5 million does but now pretty much nothing on supply. 5 state Gov's restricting it's use and one US company going to ramp up production next week.

So the big question is "What does the supply and pipeline look like?"
Old 03-27-2020, 06:56   #735
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Any word on the underground med net about the rate of use of Malaria drugs and their effectiveness? Supply?

At the start of the Med frenzy there was talk about they were in our system in limited numbers (lupus/arthritis users and limited travel to those Malaria areas) and some manufacturers like Bayer were donating 1.5 million does but now pretty much nothing on supply. 5 state Gov's restricting it's use and one US company going to ramp up production next week.

So the big question is "What does the supply and pipeline look like?"
Word from a close colleague at Mt. Sinai is that in NYC they are using a lot of chloroquine and tocilizumab (anti-IL-6 antibody - used to shut down massive inflammation). I can't speak to the efficacy, but use seems to be fairly liberal.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote