Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2021, 17:38   #16
Gypsy
Area Commander
 
Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Midwest
Posts: 7,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
I have always had Jameson or Bushmills to make Irish coffee,
One of my preferred is Paddy Irish Whiskey made in County Cork. Until a few years you could not buy it retail in the States.
__________________
My Heroes wear camouflage.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 22:33   #17
Flagg
Area Commander
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,400
Laphroaig 10 year old is always a solid option.

Not cheap, but not expensive either.

Really solid value.

The definition of “peaty”.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 00:30   #18
PSM
Area Commander
 
PSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cochise Co., AZ
Posts: 6,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Laphroaig 10 year old is always a solid option.

Not cheap, but not expensive either.

Really solid value.

The definition of “peaty”.
Does Laphroaig keep aging in the bottle? I have some 10 year old that I've had for 12 years and my FIL had for several years before that. Like RL, I prefer bourbon.
__________________
"Hector Lives!"

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:06   #19
Swoop
Quiet Professional
 
Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vonore, TN
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
I have always had Jameson or Bushmills to make Irish coffee, but just recently discovered that there are bunch of high-end Irish whiskeys. Have not tried any but it's on the list.

There is a Pappy van Winkle rye. It's not worth the price, but its very good.
Wild Turkey Rye and Chattanooga Rye are both pretty good (IMO). I also enjoy Jameson, but if you haven’t tried Slanes, I would highly recommend it, comparable to Jameson but a bit cheaper. I enjoy it with just a couple of ice cubes.
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:02   #20
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional
 
Ret10Echo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Occupied America....
Posts: 4,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Does Laphroaig keep aging in the bottle? I have some 10 year old that I've had for 12 years and my FIL had for several years before that. Like RL, I prefer bourbon.
The sites that I frequent state that they do NOT continue to age once bottled as they lack the ingredients that will continue the aging process.
__________________
"There are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations"

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:04   #21
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional
 
JJ_BPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NOVA
Posts: 11,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Does Laphroaig keep aging in the bottle? I have some 10 year old that I've had for 12 years and my FIL had for several years before that. Like RL, I prefer bourbon.
No, although you will have evaporation if the cork dries out. If you have a stash that sits, it's best to use a wine bottle rack so the bottle sits cork down to stay moist.

OR,, just drink the whisky and be done with it..


And while we are here...

uisge-beatha na h-Alba is WHISKY

Don't call it Scotch,,
If it's a single malt from Scotland,, It's WHISKY
If it from any other place, It's Whiskey..


There are laws in Scotland governing the process of making whisky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch...gulations_2009


https://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/dis...ory-of-scotch/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg history-of-scotch-long.jpg (33.6 KB, 12 views)
__________________
Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:19   #22
bblhead672
Area Commander
 
bblhead672's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,399
Thanks for all the responses. Stopped in a local owned liquor store Friday night to peruse the scotch aisle. Lots of choices. Now after reading all of the responses I see that there are regions too! The 18+ year offerings are out of my price range, but the 12-15 years are acceptable for the intended purpose of having a nice scotch on hand.
I drink bourbon mostly and got a bottle of Maker's Mark Private Selection (Bottle 197 of 252) at Christmas.
Cheers!
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 17:02   #23
275RLTW
Asset
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
No, although you will have evaporation if the cork dries out. If you have a stash that sits, it's best to use a wine bottle rack so the bottle sits cork down to stay moist.

OR,, just drink the whisky and be done with it..


And while we are here...

uisge-beatha na h-Alba is WHISKY

Don't call it Scotch,,
If it's a single malt from Scotland,, It's WHISKY
If it from any other place, It's Whiskey..


There are laws in Scotland governing the process of making whisky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch...gulations_2009


https://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/dis...ory-of-scotch/
Over time the alcohol will deteriorate the cork and cause loss due to evaporation. For longer storage, wrap the top with parafin film/paper.
275RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 23:32   #24
Flagg
Area Commander
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Does Laphroaig keep aging in the bottle? I have some 10 year old that I've had for 12 years and my FIL had for several years before that. Like RL, I prefer bourbon.
My understanding is as Ret10Echo says below....it only keeps aging in the cask, unlike some(but far from all) wines that can improve with age in the bottle being “cellared”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
The sites that I frequent state that they do NOT continue to age once bottled as they lack the ingredients that will continue the aging process.
Bourbon, whiskey, vodka, a freezing cold beer on a hot summer day....life is worth living.....why choose just 1, when you can have them all!
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 22:45   #25
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief
 
Surf n Turf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the Woods
Posts: 838
Singing the praises of WHISKY for every taste and pocket

Remember,” Balvenie is Viagra in a glass”

https://www.xxxxxxy.com/watch?v=zYm0RAxDMQo

SnT
__________________
Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I’ve stayed alive

Don’t worry about old age; it doesn’t last long

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” — President John F. Kennedy
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01.



Copyright 2004-2021 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies