Old 10-29-2007, 12:10   #1
scubasam
Asset

MOS Designator

Just a quick question about the MOS Designator. Is it assigned following the MOS phase or following graduation from the entire course. I have heard that the enlisted MOS are recieving them prior to language blitz, just wondering 18A specific.

Thank you much!
scubasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 13:09   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

It is effective when you have MOS orders in hand; and those orders are given out at graduation with your Tab orders and your SFQC Graduation certificate.

There have been rumors in the past about giving out MOS orders prior to Blitz but nothing ever came of it.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 13:32   #3
Aequitas
Quiet Professional

They tried it with my class, but DA didn't like the idea of guys having orders in hand prior to graduation. They gave us the orders to try and make things smoother for guys reenlisting for bonuses etc. With all the trouble it caused we are the last class to get MOS orders while still in language school.
Old 10-29-2007, 13:46   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
They tried it with my class, but DA didn't like the idea of guys having orders in hand prior to graduation. They gave us the orders to try and make things smoother for guys reenlisting for bonuses etc. With all the trouble it caused we are the last class to get MOS orders while still in language school.
I think he was asking for an 18A response.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 14:31   #5
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
They tried it with my class, but DA didn't like the idea of guys having orders in hand prior to graduation.
This rumor is completely false. The matter of when to award MOS has nothing to do with "DA". Why would Branch care WHEN SWCS cut your MOS orders?

I worked with SWCS for over a year to get them to initiate the change to current regulatory guidance that authorizes the award of CMF 18 MOSs only after completion of all phases of training. When I departed Branch ("DA") in May all was online with our office to execute early award of MOS orders at the end of MOS phase, but SWCS still had issues to work out through retention and ATTRS to award bonuses through the BEAR program.

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 22:50   #6
Landlubber
Quiet Professional

Exception to the rule

For the few 18A-to be's that PCS'd to Ft Lewis (Tagalog and Chinese) we did receive orders that had as under the 18A MOS. However, Branch did tell us that they could easily revert the MOS if needed. We were not authorized to wear the Tab or Beret. Upon return to Ft Bragg (TDY) and the completion of the QC we graduated and received orders to wear both the Tab and Beret. For all intents and purposes we were not 18A's until our graduation. This was done only so Branch could cut us orders to PCS IOT begin language. All the Alphas that stayed at Bragg to complete Language did not have this happen. Hope this answers your question.

Last edited by Landlubber; 11-11-2007 at 20:23.
Landlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 18:11   #7
Zorro
Quiet Professional

18A

I noticed that my ORB changed during the 2 month language block to Special Forces as my Branch and my MOS was 18A a few weeks after finishing the 18A phase of the SFQC. I received my 18A orders and all others at the Regimental First Formation the day prior to graduation in July 07. Bottom line is that it doesn't matter. Just finish the course and you'll be an 18A. Then the education begins all over again when you get to group.

Just a recent 18A graduate's observations.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 20:57   #8
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Then the education begins all over again when you get to group.

Congratulations and Welcome............I hope your eyes and ears are open!!!!! Hopefully you have a Warrant to Fill you In!!!!!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote