Go Back   Professional Soldiers > At Ease > General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2020, 14:49   #211
InTheBlack
BANNED USER
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 249
??? abx ???
" Theyre out of several critical abx at my daughter's shop"
InTheBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 15:12   #212
Badger52
Area Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western WI
Posts: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBlack View Post
??? abx ???
" Theyre out of several critical abx at my daughter's shop"
Assume "antibiotics"

__________________
"Civil Wars don't start when a few guys hunt down a specific bastard. Civil Wars start when many guys hunt down the nearest bastards."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 17:50   #213
Trapper John
Quiet Professional
 
Trapper John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBlack View Post
??? abx ???
" Theyre out of several critical abx at my daughter's shop"
If Abx = antibiotics, SO WHAT???? This is a viral infection!
__________________
Honor Above All Else
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 18:06   #214
5thgrp"C"
Quiet Professional
 
5thgrp"C"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Savannah
Posts: 98
late to the thread

It's not just preparing for the virus but what the people around us are going to do because of the virus. I'm on the coast in Savannah and I've been telling people to prepare for a hurricane with a bigger % being medical focused.

The last place I will want to take anyone in my family is any kind of medical treatment facility, which is where everyone who is sick will be. Anything that can be stitched, bandaged, or set at home will be.

I'd continue to monitor all medical stores for shortages and not those just related to antivirals.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
If Abx = antibiotics, SO WHAT???? This is a viral infection!
__________________
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid. D. Eisenhower
5thgrp"C" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 22:09   #215
PSM
Area Commander
 
PSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cochise Co., AZ
Posts: 5,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
Wait until the true magnitude sinks in. Theyre out of several critical abx at my daughter's shop, a major state health magnet, and are told no resupply is in sight.

A corner was turned last Friday. All major epidemiologist and the CDC have said containment is impossible, expect a major outbreak in the US.

And do you know how many COVID19 diagnostic tests were processed in the last ten days in the US? Sixteen per day. Sixteen. Thats all CDC can do. No surge capacity either. Theyre stretched at 16. South Korea has been averaging 1700 tests per day and can handle 4000/day surge.

Every once in a while a legitimate crisis reveals how corrupt things have gotten. We're there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump
I don't want to be Chicken Little, but I saw a lot of heavy hitters with "deer-in-the-headlights" looks in their eyes last week. http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=10148
That was March 18, 2006. That's when I bought the N95 masks that are in our garage now.

I don't want to jinx your record of multiple wrong predictions, but, I've lived through so many of these and other dire predictions that I'm, to say the least, highly skeptical.
__________________
"Hector Lives!"

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 22:10   #216
Axe
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
If Abx = antibiotics, SO WHAT???? This is a viral infection!
China makes the active pharmaceutical ingredients (API's) for approximately 97% of the antibiotics used in the US. They have the only factory that makes piperacillin.

They make the API's for approximately 50% of the drugs sold in the US. Some of them are the meds that go in crash carts.

As long as China isn't working, we aren't going to be getting a lot of our drugs. I'm personally not betting on China successfully getting everything working again anytime soon. Hence, likely the outage and lack of resupply anytime soon that mugwump is talking about.

It would be wise to stock up on an extra couple of months worth of any Rx meds one needs if one hasn't already as part of their normal preparedness planning.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...tories-economy

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/he...a-659039226b5e
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 23:12   #217
TWITCHY
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Posts: 109
Its amazing to me that nobody, at some point, didnt say Hey, If anything goes bad with China, were all screwed! Im assuming over a period of at least 50 years our government has decided they are A-Ok with China making the majority of our meds and medical supplies.
TWITCHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 00:00   #218
Axe
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWITCHY View Post
It’s amazing to me that nobody, at some point, didn’t say “Hey, If anything goes bad with China, we’re all screwed!” I’m assuming over a period of at least 50 years our government has decided they are A-Ok with China making the majority of our meds and medical supplies.
Yeah. The shortage in 2016 when the piperacillin plant exploded didn't change things.

Star anise, which was the main ingredient in Tamiflu, is pretty much only grown in China. Fortunately for us, in 2018 a method of synthesizing the ingredient from the plant by fermenting E. coli was adopted.

The main ingredient in Levaquin is only made in Japan.

A lot of the API's could be made in India, but China is 40-50% cheaper.

Almost all of our drugs come from China, India, or Puerto Rico.

Last edited by Axe; 02-26-2020 at 06:59. Reason: Spelling error
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:11   #219
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional
 
Old Dog New Trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Just above the flood plain in Southern Texas
Posts: 2,656
Im not an epidemiologist but I sure wish people would put this illness in perspective, and stop freaking out over it.

Really, unless you are over 80 and in decreased health to begin with this virus is not, I repeat not, likely to kill you and you will recover basically on your own as it runs its course. Much like the flu or a common cold. If its not affecting children and young adults...why is not affecting those age groups?

Second, its a political and business choice to shutter manufacturing, close businesses, schools and other public activities. Is it better and more productive to issue adequate PPE to employees and keep things moving, or send people home and close assembly lines or whatever the process is that cant be done another way?

Instead of crashing the stock market how about a public health warning that says if you are sick, feeling sick, have a fever and cough stay home, cover your mouth and wash hands often. If you have been to or traveled to an area with an outbreak self quarantine for two more weeks at home before returning to work. If you are sick and test positive for the virus let the professionals know how to back track your travels.

If Im wrong let the illness prove that to me, weve been down this road before and there are a lot more things that kill a lot more people than this had so far.

Maybe Im wrong, YMMV
__________________
You only live once; live well. Have no regrets when the end happens!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:37   #220
echoes
Area Commander
 
echoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: OK. Thanking Our Brave Soldiers
Posts: 3,614
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Im not an epidemiologist but I sure wish people would put this illness in perspective, and stop freaking out over it.

Really, unless you are over 80 and in decreased health to begin with this virus is not, I repeat not, likely to kill you and you will recover basically on your own as it runs its course. Much like the flu or a common cold. If its not affecting children and young adults...why is not affecting those age groups?

Second, its a political and business choice to shutter manufacturing, close businesses, schools and other public activities. Is it better and more productive to issue adequate PPE to employees and keep things moving, or send people home and close assembly lines or whatever the process is that cant be done another way?

Instead of crashing the stock market how about a public health warning that says if you are sick, feeling sick, have a fever and cough stay home, cover your mouth and wash hands often. If you have been to or traveled to an area with an outbreak self quarantine for two more weeks at home before returning to work. If you are sick and test positive for the virus let the professionals know how to back track your travels.

If Im wrong let the illness prove that to me, weve been down this road before and there are a lot more things that kill a lot more people than this had so far.

Maybe Im wrong, YMMV
ODNT Sir,


Believe you are spot on with your post, and your summation rings true to many in our camp.

When in charge of kitchens in the past, my instructions to our team were to stay home and get well before coming back in to work. Not only are you not going to potentially contaminate the product, but you will prevent the spread of germs to the rest of the crew.

Sadly, common sense is not the case in all kitchens during cold/ flu season, which is why being very particular when "dining out" is prudent, IMHO.


Great posts on this subject!


Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:42   #221
Badger52
Area Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western WI
Posts: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
That was March 18, 2006. That's when I bought the N95 masks that are in our garage now.
Heh, now that's a blast from the past, thanks. I remember that one. While still drawing armyciv.mil $$ I was in a MASCAL planning cell next to a fine logistician who became a good friend to this day. (He wanted commo support from me to support the staging of reefer trailers for the zombies that didn't make it.) I don't think this is what Joni Mitchell meant when she wrote "The Circle Game."
__________________
"Civil Wars don't start when a few guys hunt down a specific bastard. Civil Wars start when many guys hunt down the nearest bastards."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:46   #222
cbtengr
Area Commander
 
cbtengr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,493
Went to see my Cardiologist yesterday, one of the pre-screening questions was "Do you have the Coronavirus?" My wife works at the U of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and when I told her about the query she said that she was pretty sure the question was not asked in the proper context. How would I specifically know if I had it or not? Probably just asking how I felt in general would have been the best way to broach the topic. ODNT, I am with you, if folks who felt ill would stay home instead of going to work sick there would be a lot less illness in this country
__________________
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
cbtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 13:48   #223
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander
 
PedOncoDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeast Utah
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Went to see my Cardiologist yesterday, one of the pre-screening questions was "Do you have the Coronavirus?" My wife works at the U of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and when I told her about the query she said that she was pretty sure the question was not asked in the proper context. How would I specifically know if I had it or not? Probably just asking how I felt in general would have been the best way to broach the topic. ODNT, I am with you, if folks who felt ill would stay home instead of going to work sick there would be a lot less illness in this country
A patient of mine on clinical trial tested positive for coronavirus and the company sponsoring the trial panicked. I had to reassure this was a typical coronavirus strain and not COVID-19. In the past month I've had patients come down with influenza A and B, rhinovirus, respiratory synctial virus, parainfluenza 1 and 3, and multiple non-Kung-Flu strains of coronavirus.

We're in the mist of respiratory viral season and that is a particularly ignorant screening question to ask.
__________________
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 14:45   #224
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional
 
Old Dog New Trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Just above the flood plain in Southern Texas
Posts: 2,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Went to see my Cardiologist yesterday, one of the pre-screening questions was "Do you have the Coronavirus?" My wife works at the U of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and when I told her about the query she said that she was pretty sure the question was not asked in the proper context. How would I specifically know if I had it or not? Probably just asking how I felt in general would have been the best way to broach the topic.
There is only one answer to a question like this - Yes, yes I do!


I want to make a T-Shirt that says on the front Just got back from China and alls I got was this lousy T-Shirt and... (on the back) a fever and a cough!
__________________
You only live once; live well. Have no regrets when the end happens!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 19:23   #225
doctom54
Guerrilla
 
doctom54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northwest AR
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
A patient of mine on clinical trial tested positive for coronavirus and the company sponsoring the trial panicked. I had to reassure this was a typical coronavirus strain and not COVID-19. In the past month I've had patients come down with influenza A and B, rhinovirus, respiratory synctial virus, parainfluenza 1 and 3, and multiple non-Kung-Flu strains of coronavirus.

We're in the mist of respiratory viral season and that is a particularly ignorant screening question to ask.
No $hit Sherlock!

40,000 people in the USA die on an AVERAGE year from influenza...

I worked the urgent care 2 weeks ago and had 30 proven cases of influenza 1/2 Influenza A and 1/2 Influenza B.
__________________
"For exercise I recommend vigorous walking... and carrying a gun. The guns weight will increase the level of exercise and the possession of a gun on a walk produces real confidence."
Thomas Jefferson
doctom54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:02.



Copyright 2004-2019 by Professional Soldiers
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies