Go Back   Professional Soldiers > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 10-01-2004, 05:55   #76
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Hey Kid, You need to date guys that'll get dirty without thinking twice! How many of you guys would let your date crawl under your car to fix something, especially on Date No. 2.5? Ok, after 20 some dates, I'd probably let her do it, but not on dates 1-19. The reason the red fingernail war paint chips easy is because your wearing it while crawling under your dates cars. You should switch to aircraft paint with flex additive.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:58   #77
Razor
Quiet Professional

FS, to put your mind at ease, my dad was a bonded locksmith for a period of time, so being a pre-teen (and future mechanical engineer), I was drawn to the skill.

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with possessing a skill that may come in handy some day. In that light, its not that unlike practicing how and where to incapacitate someone trying to harm you.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:59   #78
alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
Ok, after 20 some dates, I'd probably let her do it, but not on dates 1-19.
Brat!

Quote:
The reason the red fingernail war paint chips easy is because your wearing it while crawling under your dates cars. You should switch to aircraft paint with flex additive.
Total brat!

You could be in trouble Mr. Harsey!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:03   #79
alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
That being said, I don't see anything wrong with possessing a skill that may come in handy some day. In that light, its not that unlike practicing how and where to incapacitate someone trying to harm you.
Razor I totally agree with that now. I just didn't then. Given same context / opportunity, I would be completely into it now.

FrontSight
Old 10-01-2004, 08:11   #80
Bill Harsey

Certified Redneck Solution

Now that FrontSight has me thinking about crawling under stuff...Way back a long time ago I was logging one summer down out of Coos Bay Oregon, a steep ground skyline show, big timber and hot when the sun was out. I was the rigging slinger (boss of the choker setters) on that one and had a big log tight to the ground, nowhere to wrap the one inch dia. cable choker under the log to hook it up and send it to the landing. Being the highly trained old school logger I was supposed to be then, I knew the solution. I squeezed around and under the end cut of the log to put a "face holdt" set on it (logging rigging term for a particular wrap used to break a log out of a bad place). What I hadn't seen was all the pitch coming out of the end of that Doug Fir and now it was on my face and in my beard. Boy was I smart back then, wearing a beard, logging in 90 degree weather. Now I had a big wad of pitch stuck to my chin and most of the day left logging. This sucked. I thought about using saw gas but remembered how much that burnt after having a gas cap come off a saw while bucking and having a whole tank spill down the the front of my pants. Yes, all that rigging guys don't want gas on got soaked and we never repeated that exercise. On the way to town we stopped in a small country store for soda pops and the women behind the counter saw my face and told me to get some butter and rub on, it would take all the pitch off, then you just wash the butter out. I did, it worked perfect. We use this solution around here to this day.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:23   #81
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

FrontSight - A SOCEP is a "Special Operations Combat Expendable Platform" (a fancy name for an equipment pallet). It's something the guys came up with to load one (or two) Zodiac F-470(s) (an inflatable rubber boat) on and rig them for paradrop. (So I guess that counts for "Redneck Engineering" too [except it has now been standardized and put in a manual].) With hand tools it takes 5-6 hours to do correctly; power tools reduce that by 2/3rds. It's the length and width (+) of a F-470 and constructed of 4x4s, 2x6s, and lots of plywood. It has to be sturdy enough to kick out the back of a C-130 and withstand the opening shock of +/- 4000 lbs (double duck) suspended from two G-12 (big) parachutes. To add insult to injury there's always some penny pinching quartermaster type who insists they "didn't really mean expendable" (except in combat) when they named it SOCEP. So now it has to be rugged enough to reuse (so the second time with a full load it can fail spectacularly, puncture the boats, and dump equipment and sandbags from 1000 ft altitude onto the poor bastards pulling safety duties on the DZ). Great concept that works really well to deliver an infiltrating team quickly (by air) from "home station" to a point outside the "bad guy's" detection range (over their horizon) where the detachment can use their own assets (the boats) to complete a clandestine infiltration. Sort of like ***ggling with government assistance. NOTE: For those of you "lurking" DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! There's a lot of pros and cons, it's not foolproof. Just ask the SEALs about Greneda - bad things do happen despite best intentions! Hope this answered the mail, YIS - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 11:06   #82
alphamale

Quote:
Now that FrontSight has me thinking about crawling under stuff...

Quote:
I squeezed around and under the end cut of the log to put a "face holdt" set on it (logging rigging term for a particular wrap used to break a log out of a bad place). What I hadn't seen was all the pitch coming out of the end of that Doug Fir and now it was on my face and in my beard.
Not knowing what Pitch was, I googled' it and have some good news for you Mr. Harsey: http://web.reed.edu/trees/TreePages/PSME.html
Apparently Douglas Fir Pitch was used by Native Americans for alllll sorts of ailments. So it's probably kept you in good health to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
FrontSight - A SOCEP is a "Special Operations Combat Expendable Platform" (a fancy name for an equipment pallet). It's something the guys came up with to load one (or two) Zodiac F-470(s) (an inflatable rubber boat) on and rig them for paradrop.
HOly smokes! What mechanical shape is the platform in when it's ejected? I can picture the end-result from what you said, but am not sure if it starts out that way.

By the way, Mr. Harsey, did you know that I now understand the basic concept behind a Claymore?

I've decided the next cool thing to work on for my defensive suite should be named: my Personal Claymore

Alas, ideas are cheap. Ability to execute is the mindnumbingly difficult part .

FrontSight
Old 10-01-2004, 12:26   #83
Bill Harsey

Which one of you guys told her about claymores?
Old 10-01-2004, 12:30   #84
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Why Does it have to be one of Us? Those Strider Guys could've done it too.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 13:33   #85
alphamale

Sirrrrrs, I *can* read too, ya know!

FrontSight
Old 10-01-2004, 13:37   #86
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontSight
Sirrrrrs, I *can* read too, ya know!

FrontSight

Ahh Hell, She's on to Us
Old 10-01-2004, 14:54   #87
Razor
Quiet Professional

FS, you hadn't ever heard of pitch from an evergreen tree?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 15:35   #88
Bill Harsey

Yes Air.177, I'm afraid Ms. FrontSight might be able to read. Speaking of words like that, the link she sent on "pitch" came from Reed College in Portland Oregon. They couldn't be bothered to post a picture of a real tree, just some shrub growing in town. Reed College is full of white kids with dreadlocks, I was there last year for a day. No one honored my diversity, couldn't find the Redneck Engineering section in the library.
Old 10-01-2004, 16:00   #89
alphamale

Razor: What it covered on The Math Network?

Nope. New noun!

Had a sheltered childhood in lots of ways. Am making up for it now though!

FrontSight
Old 10-01-2004, 16:15   #90
Air.177
Quiet Professional

On a Seperate note, Anybody heard from TR? Haven't seen him on lately.

That is All