Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 05:04   #16
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional
 
Jack Moroney (RIP)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,093
[QUOTE=Diablo Blanco;214912]Board Answer is "Areas where the vegetation has no significant military value" QUOTE]

That is a pretty "broad" answer. Lack of vegetation does not just mean lack of concealment, it also means good visibility and good fields of fire, both of which have significant military value. It can also be of "significant military value" for landing zones and drop zones. Lack of vegetation can also have "significant military value" when planning avenues of approach, analyzing the other sides options for trafficability that can be concealed for short time by the use of smoke or other obscurants. No, I would say that the there is no piece of terrain that has "no" significant military value as it depends on the situation and the mission as well as capabilities and limitations of both the friendly and enemy forces.
__________________
Wenn einer von uns fallen sollt, der Andere steht für zwei.
Jack Moroney (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:11   #17
kgoerz
Quiet Professional
 
kgoerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NC for now
Posts: 2,418
I thought it was Snow....another interesting note. Years ago some of the Guys who made or printed the Maps got busted sneaking their initials and curse words into the smaller Grid lines. Those Maps are considered collector items. They actually did a recall of certain Map series because of this.
__________________
Sounds like a s#*t sandwhich, but I'll fight anyone, I'm in.
kgoerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 16:55   #18
Diablo Blanco
Asset
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 44
[QUOTE=Jack Moroney;214920]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo Blanco View Post
Board Answer is "Areas where the vegetation has no significant military value" QUOTE]

That is a pretty "broad" answer. Lack of vegetation does not just mean lack of concealment, it also means good visibility and good fields of fire, both of which have significant military value. It can also be of "significant military value" for landing zones and drop zones. Lack of vegetation can also have "significant military value" when planning avenues of approach, analyzing the other sides options for trafficability that can be concealed for short time by the use of smoke or other obscurants. No, I would say that the there is no piece of terrain that has "no" significant military value as it depends on the situation and the mission as well as capabilities and limitations of both the friendly and enemy forces.
Very true. I suppose I could clarify the answer to mean the white areas lack vegetation with no significant military value to units platoon size or above. Of course smaller sized units could use them for cover, even several vehicles.

Perhaps it is decided by the Height of the vegetation. Take for example marsh areas with the dotted lines.
Diablo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:51   #19
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional
 
Jack Moroney (RIP)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo Blanco View Post
Perhaps it is decided by the Height of the vegetation. Take for example marsh areas with the dotted lines.
Actually you need to add in the variables such as the type of unit, the mission, weather, and the enemy capabilities to mention a few. I am sure you can think of any number of scenarios where vegetation or lack there of has a positive or negative impact depending on those variables and others. As far as vegetation providing cover, unless you are talking about something that is going to absorb the impact of a round, I think you mean concealment. You are looking at this one sided, vegetation or lack there of, is always significant when it comes to terrain analysis. Go back to your initial entry training and recall what the acronym OCOKA represented. Vegetation plays a role in each of those letters-be it positive or negative-and that is just the simplistic view.
__________________
Wenn einer von uns fallen sollt, der Andere steht für zwei.
Jack Moroney (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 19:46   #20
OpForKorn
Asset
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 15
Not trying to be funny, but here in Pineland it means an area that has been logged, and has grown into something only a tank could penetrate..
OpForKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 20:24   #21
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional
 
SF_BHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sneaking back and forth across the Border
Posts: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpForKorn View Post
Not trying to be funny, but here in Pineland it means an area that has been logged, and has grown into something only a tank could penetrate..

OK Stop Posting and Re-Read your welcome e-mail and Post the Intro you should have done 3 Post ago.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47.



Copyright 2004-2019 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies