Go Back   Professional Soldiers ģ > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 18:44   #376
7624U
Quiet Professional
 
7624U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jasper Tennessee
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Lot of guys posted up until they got an 18X contract.

Only one from this last page posted that he got selected.

Oh, well.
Lots of training the body and not the mind going on
Not dedicated mentally once SFAS starts the suck fest from what my conversations with the 18X's out of training in hold over status.

remember you cant ever stop till they tell you to stop ! 100% effort .

One other thing I have seen as a trend. No one is building up their grip strength and the ability to climb a rope ! its all well and good you can meet the standard on the PT test. You do that one time in SFAS. Rucking lots of miles with 50 lbs that is what it is to build up for the walking that is required. But guess what it is building you up mentally as well....
__________________
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.Ē

"Robert A. Heinlein"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 14:32   #377
slippery_squid
Asset
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Great Lakes, IL.
Posts: 8
3x 2 mile ruck run; 5 min rest
60# ruck

18:01
18:54
19:43


Going to start Tactical Athlete Ruck-based Selection on Monday.


What are you doing?
slippery_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 19:34   #378
Razor
Quiet Professional
 
Razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery_squid View Post
3x 2 mile ruck run; 5 min rest
60# ruck

18:01
18:54
19:43


Going to start Tactical Athlete Ruck-based Selection on Monday.


What are you doing?
Why are you running with a 60 lbs ruck?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:52   #379
slippery_squid
Asset
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Great Lakes, IL.
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Why are you running with a 60 lbs ruck?

I have limited time (hour +/-) to workout until my division graduates from basic training.

Only way to get more miles in the same amount of time is to run.
slippery_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 15:08   #380
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional
 
JJ_BPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NOVA
Posts: 9,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery_squid View Post
I have limited time (hour +/-) to workout until my division graduates from basic training.

Only way to get more miles in the same amount of time is to run.
Not a 18D, but you're pushing your feet & joints with that load. Be careful..
__________________
Go raibh tķ leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tķ marbh

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows youíre dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:02   #381
Alpina
Asset
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 3
Lower body lifting and 6x800m run repeats today. Last week I had the second laser session to have the tattoo on my hand removed to qualify for enlistment. Most painful thing Iíve ever experienced, and probably got another 6-10 sessions to go, but it will be worth it.
Alpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 16:06   #382
Tandem
Asset
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Week 5 of the 14 SFAS Prep. Just try to push hard and stay healthy. Unfortunately itís been incredibly cold where I am currently living so I have been doing treadmill running and getting outdoors for a run twice a week when the weather isnít 9 degrees. My two mile time is mid 13ís and my three milers are like 21. Havenít gotten out for a 5 miler.

Have only done two timed rucks, 4 miler @ 62 mins and another at 55. That was more of a speedy walk, kind of tried to Ďlight poleí it, if that makes sense. Being that itís been so cold what Iíve been doing is directly after my workouts I put the ruck on, cook my food eat standing up then do whatever standing for another hour or hour and a half in my apartment.
Tandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 16:25   #383
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional
 
SF_BHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sneaking back and forth across the Border
Posts: 6,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem View Post
Week 5 of the 14 SFAS Prep. Just try to push hard and stay healthy. Unfortunately itís been incredibly cold where I am currently living so I have been doing treadmill running and getting outdoors for a run twice a week when the weather isnít 9 degrees. My two mile time is mid 13ís and my three milers are like 21. Havenít gotten out for a 5 miler.

Have only done two timed rucks, 4 miler @ 62 mins and another at 55. That was more of a speedy walk, kind of tried to Ďlight poleí it, if that makes sense. Being that itís been so cold what Iíve been doing is directly after my workouts I put the ruck on, cook my food eat standing up then do whatever standing for another hour or hour and a half in my apartment.
If you think weather will be a factor during training quit now. The worse it is the better. Go out and train if you wish to pass. During Phase 1 we were iced in and snowed on to where we had to do a bonfire to get people out of their positions to continue on patrol. Weather will suck but the war goes on.
Now get back to training.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 20:29   #384
doctom54
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northwest AR
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
If you think weather will be a factor during training quit now. The worse it is the better. Go out and train if you wish to pass. During Phase 1 we were iced in and snowed on to where we had to do a bonfire to get people out of their positions to continue on patrol. Weather will suck but the war goes on.
Now get back to training.
Best response I have seen in a while. If it rains DRIVE ON. If it is cold DRIVE ON. If it is hot DRIVE ON.

"....The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.” –The Crisis, Thomas Paine
__________________
"For exercise I recommend vigorous walking... and carrying a gun. The gunís weight will increase the level of exercise and the possession of a gun on a walk produces real confidence."
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by doctom54; 03-18-2019 at 20:33.
doctom54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:13   #385
Tandem
Asset
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
If you think weather will be a factor during training quit now. The worse it is the better. Go out and train if you wish to pass. During Phase 1 we were iced in and snowed on to where we had to do a bonfire to get people out of their positions to continue on patrol. Weather will suck but the war goes on.
Now get back to training.
Understood, my reasoning is more based on injury prevention and overall health. I live in a metropolitan area and the sidewalks/roads ice frequently so I figured it would be best to avoid it if possible. Second reason was I was there for a Ďship dayí for the other recruits and one of the was coughing and the recruiters said it sounded like he had mucus in his chest and didnít let him ship.

Never really had *too* many problems with the extreme cold growing up but will acknowledge Iíve never been as uncomfortable while in it as I will he during training.
Tandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 14:25   #386
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional
 
SF_BHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sneaking back and forth across the Border
Posts: 6,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem View Post
Understood, my reasoning is more based on injury prevention and overall health. I live in a metropolitan area and the sidewalks/roads ice frequently so I figured it would be best to avoid it if possible. Second reason was I was there for a Ďship dayí for the other recruits and one of the was coughing and the recruiters said it sounded like he had mucus in his chest and didnít let him ship.

Never really had *too* many problems with the extreme cold growing up but will acknowledge Iíve never been as uncomfortable while in it as I will he during training.
All I hear is Waa WAA Waa Wa... Background noise. If it is to be it will happen. People get sick and you can not pick and chose when it will happen. Sounds very XXXXXX To me. Not sure which special category you might fall into.

I went to training group and fractured a metatarsal in hand to hand and taped it up and pushed trough. During Phase 2 got Pneumonia and did not miss training. During the Phase III infill jump thought I sprained my ankle, taped it up, limped for 2+ weeks and soaked it in streams at night and passed all my task. When we were ex-filled the hospital did an X-ray and found that my leg was broken. They re-broke it and put me in a full leg cast. Shit happens but you have to tough through it. I had a goal and they could not stop me. That is what SF is looking for. On Graduation the next week I went across the stage in a painted cast and crutches and went on to my first Group.

If you hide out and stay afraid you will never get through training. Might not want to go to jump School as a PLF trainer exercise or the Swing Landing trainer might cause you to get hurt.

Life is full of hurdles and challenges and if you do not attack them full boar you will never get to where your goal is.

Just my 2cents
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 14:49   #387
Tandem
Asset
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
All I hear is Waa WAA Waa Wa... Background noise. If it is to be it will happen. People get sick and you can not pick and chose when it will happen. Sounds very XXXXXX To me. Not sure which special category you might fall into.

I went to training group and fractured a metatarsal in hand to hand and taped it up and pushed trough. During Phase 2 got Pneumonia and did not miss training. During the Phase III infill jump thought I sprained my ankle, taped it up, limped for 2+ weeks and soaked it in streams at night and passed all my task. When we were ex-filled the hospital did an X-ray and found that my leg was broken. They re-broke it and put me in a full leg cast. Shit happens but you have to tough through it. I had a goal and they could not stop me. That is what SF is looking for. On Graduation the next week I went across the stage in a painted cast and crutches and went on to my first Group.

If you hide out and stay afraid you will never get through training. Might not want to go to jump School as a PLF trainer exercise or the Swing Landing trainer might cause you to get hurt.

Life is full of hurdles and challenges and if you do not attack them full boar you will never get to where your goal is.

Just my 2cents

I agree with what you’re saying, and appreciate you sharing a bit of your journey with me. but since I am not in the Army yet I have to play it somewhat safe to mitigate some of the risk so I can actually get in. If I’m injured once I’m in training and in the Army, there’s nothing I can do but push on at that point. In my eyes it doesn’t make much sense to run on icy surfaces and potentially have the already long process of joining prolonged further or halted all together.

Last edited by Tandem; 03-19-2019 at 14:51.
Tandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 19:45   #388
Joker
Quiet Professional
 
Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem View Post
I agree with what youíre saying, and appreciate you sharing a bit of your journey with me. but since I am not in the Army yet I have to play it somewhat safe to mitigate some of the risk so I can actually get in. If Iím injured once Iím in training and in the Army, thereís nothing I can do but push on at that point. In my eyes it doesnít make much sense to run on icy surfaces and potentially have the already long process of joining prolonged further or halted all together.
Wrong mindset. SF has no quit. Your job right now is to be in the best shape of your life and able to score high (read max) every PT event. When you get into the Army your PT will decrease and you will become weaker. Too scared (or pick your word) to PT outside then you better me doing it inside. Outside is better.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:40   #389
Dusty
Quiet Professional
 
Dusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 10,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem View Post
I agree with what youíre saying, and appreciate you sharing a bit of your journey with me. but since I am not in the Army yet I have to play it somewhat safe to mitigate some of the risk so I can actually get in. If Iím injured once Iím in training and in the Army, thereís nothing I can do but push on at that point. In my eyes it doesnít make much sense to run on icy surfaces and potentially have the already long process of joining prolonged further or halted all together.
When I took my "over 40 physical", they found a cervical fracture, pars defect, fractured L5 and coccyx, and some other problems. I had 3 holes in my r. lower trap, 2 breaks in my right hand, broken r. ankle, had dislocated my l. shoulder 4 times, and a litany of stitched cuts ad nauseum. Only down time I had was a week or so in a holding Company and 1 cycle of Pre-Phase before SFQC.

Trust me- I had it EASY.

I was literally unaffected compared to guys who were always in the shit, or guys who are in it, now. I still train, ruck, shoot in my range/shoot house, etc. at 67.

It's forever, Aspirante; weather is irrevelant.
__________________
"There you go, again." Ronald Reagan
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:37   #390
Alpina
Asset
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 3
Just running today. 3x 10min on/3min off at 80-90% effort. Run times are going down but still have a long ways to go.
Alpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:37.



Copyright 2004-2019 by Professional Soldiers ģ
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies