Thread: Kimchi Recipe
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 22:24   #4
SF0
Guerrilla

I have my mother's recipe (she's full blooded South Korean, born and raised there). Been eating it since I was a tike. It's a good basic recipe with ingredients that are easy to find. She said that in the winter, you can add pine nuts. You can also add in chopped fresh oyster if you want.

Ingredients

3x 6"-7" diameter cabbages
Garlic, 1.5 bulbs crushed to fill about 2 tablespoons
Ginger, minced, 1 tablespoon
Green onions x7 halved lengthwise and chopped to 2" sections
2 medium yellow onions diced
1x Korean radish 4-5" diameter, julienned
1x Red bell pepper, julienned
1x Large carrot, shredded
Salted shrimp sauce (tiny whole shrimp), 3/4 cup, blended
Anchovy powder, 1.5 tablespoons
Sugar, 3 tablespoons
Salt
Korean chili powder, 1 cup or more for extra heat

Steps

1. Wash the cabbage, and cut into bite sized pieces.
2. Get a very large bowl, and place a layer of wet cabbage at the bottom. Cover in a thin layer of salt. Repeat this process until you are out of cabbage.
3. Let the salted cabbage sit until the pieces have become a bit softer than they were when they were fresh (about 3-4 hours).
4. Prepare your garlic, ginger, green/yellow onions, korean radish, red bell pepper, and carrot.
5. Rinse the salt off of the cabbage 3-4 times, and squeeze the water out of handfuls of cabbage, and place back into another large bowl.
6. Put all the ingredients into the bowl with the cabbage, put some rubber gloves on, and mix everything by hand.
7. Once things are well mixed, taste some. Add extra salt if you wish.
8. Put in a jar(s), and let it sit for a day. The longer the kimchi sits, the more sour it becomes. Some like it very sour, some like it relatively fresh (like me).
SF0 is offline   Reply With Quote