View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 19:14   #28
Talo
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
I am a study of history I believe in the saying that those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. The problem with history is unlike science which is based off available hard tangible evidence history is based off a tiny viewpoint of what happened.

A Math problem is an absolute for the most part their is no question that 2+2=4. History on the other hand is arbitrary and slanted, who decides what history will be taught? Not you or I make that decision, it is some bureaucrat and you and I have no say over our understanding of how America was built they do.

You just have to be read enough to put some measure of balance to it so it makes more sense. What you need to be taught about history is this, there are more than just our point of view and experience, the victors do write history but it does not mean it is true. History is not fact it is a story put together by another historian based off the available information and his/hers personal beliefs and how they interpret it. Historians routinely make assumptions to fill in gaps that cannot be substantiated.

Case in Point the story of Spartacus and the third slave rebellion was not recorded until a hundred years after the rebellion ended and their is no proof that their was a central leader only a story that was passed down til someone put it in writing.

Looking at my kids history books there are glaring differences in what different states and school systems accept as history.

Even what USAJFKSWCS has a version of history that does not match up with the recorded events of how SF was formed and what our lineage is.
Thank you for the clarification that makes much more sense. I can appreciate the idea of taking a grain of salt with what history tells us and that some stories are more true than others.

That's something for me to consider more deeply as I continue to explore history.

Thanks again.
"If you are caught unprepared by a sudden rainstorm, you should not run foolishly down the road or hide under the eves of houses. You are going to get soaked either way. Accept that from the beginning and go on your way. This way you will not be distressed by a little rain. Apply this lesson to everything."

- Excerpt from the Hagakure.
Talo is offline   Reply With Quote