View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 19:29   #412
Malone
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSunrise View Post
A few recommendations from your last workout session.
Work on dropping about one minute off your 5mile run time, and you might want to start on increasing your distance if it’s not already part of you workout plan.

Keep up the stretching, it’s a good habit to develop now and that recovery becomes crucial as you start adding up the years and mileage on your body.

Add more reps to your pull up sets, those numbers aren’t enough to set you up for success.

The farmers carries are good, your training weight is good, but increase the distance. Grip strength is great but without longer endurance you’ll still be hurting.

Squats=good, dead lifts and overhead military press’s overall help with body conditioning and strength.

Last tip, when rucking; hills are helpful but find some sand to ruck through...like a lot, just saying.

Train smart, and good luck with your plan.
Thank you for the advice BlackSunrise. Question on the 5-mile run, do you mean one minute total or one minute per mile? Also, I will do my best to find some sandy places to train. I'll ask the 20th group guys if they know of any places as I am relatively close to their Alabama location.

On another note, I would say my grip strength is currently my biggest physical weakness that I am looking to improve as much as possible before I attend SFAS. However, I have some time to improve. I won't be able to attend selection until I finish my Ph.D., which I am about 7 months away from completing.

It turns out the 20th group representative would like me to attend their SFRE at the end of this month in light of my SFAS date constraint (I will have to go through again before selection sometime later this year..good practice!). That said, I am dedicating about two-three hours a day to training to ramp up before/after work.

After speaking with the 20th group representative, it seems their SFRE is focused on the APFT, rope climb, 12-mile ruck, land nav test, and 5-mile run. I score a 300 on my APFT, but I've been neglecting to ruck over the years, so I am going to be focusing on getting my feet hard, grip strength up, ruck time down, and 5-mile run down all while not neglecting the pushups and situps. I'm using a modified plan from the book Get Selected to try and train up as much as possible... intelligently but quickly. In regards to landnav, I am a 1LT, so may God have mercy on my soul.

All jokes aside, thank you all for the valuable information on this forum.

Today's workout:
  • 4-mile ruck with 45 lbs dry at 13:20/mile pace. Flat terrain for benchmarking purposes, will incorporate elevation and terrain (sand/offroad) moving forward. No issues with hotspots or blisters. Using toughfoot to try and speed up the hardening process.
  • 30-minute stretch session
  • 40x5 pushups. Each set under a minute, strict form.
  • 50x5 situps. Each set under a minute, strict form.

Tomorrow's workout:
  • 30-minute swim
  • 5x10 Pull-ups
  • 5x10 Shoulder Press (break into smaller sets as required)
  • 3x 45 lbs farmer carries (As far as I can go)
  • 1 min drills for max pushups and situps

Last edited by Malone; 05-15-2019 at 19:34.
Malone is offline   Reply With Quote