View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 03:05   #19
justanotherdude
Asset

First, thank you to everyone that's taken the time to reply to this post. It's nice to see how it's developed.

I learned some truths (as also posted by those more experienced than I).

*Crossloading is an art. Someone has to see the big picture of what everyone is carrying or should be and plan accordingly. I had to take off the medic hat and wear the leader hat to truly understand this.

*Learn as many uses for a single object as you can, keep adding to the improvisation library. While the newest whiz bang stuff on the market is nice, it's also very task specific and it's better to carry the jack of all trades in your aidbag. Still can't beat the cravat, ace and kerlex.

*with all the kit spread out it went about like this...warfighters; medium size IFAK on the vest, TT FRB on/in the assault pack (every 4th). Me (medic) rucksack w/ non-medical, and Eagle A-III medic bag loaded toward the advanced tactical field care side of things.

It took a lot of trial and error, but that was the best I found. Chronologically speaking, my original intent was to be able to carry everything in my casevac platform bag (STOMP2 loaded to the gills), AKA my safety blanket, that I used in mounted operations. I wanted to retain each and every one of those treatment capabilities while dismounted with just a ruck.

It was just too big. I tried several methods to carry it, including strapping the whole STOMP2 to the ruck frame (which seemed like the most seamless way). Then trying two bags, 1 for basic TFC and another with advanced TFC, both smaller. Still ate up a ton of space in the ruck. I ditched the basic TFC bag, broke it down and gave everyone a shave bag with the basic bleeder and airway stuff. It was redundant to the point of being unnecessary.

The tipping point was standardizing the IFAK, it's contents, and also the TT FRB. Having faith in my crossloaded gear. With that basic TFC stuff crossloaded, and all the distractions removed, I was still being cautious despite only carrying the advanced kit.

Dan
justanotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote