View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 07:40   #2
x SF med
Quiet Professional

COL Jack- excellent post. Following instructions from the O post...

1. An SF Officer needs to straddle a fine line, approachable, one of the guys, but also slightly apart (in garrison) in order to muddle through the mire of military politics.
2. He must also understand that he is learning as well as commanding, and has lots of years of experience in his team (A, B, C, or Grp) - not all of it pure SF knowledge.
3. Taking command vs. assuming command - tough call - a good O knows when and how to do either or both at the same time - and also when not to (not to get into the oddities of FID/UW/GW when he may 'lead from behind' due to rapport, cultural issues).
4. He has to understand all of the specialties, but not be an expert in any one, while having expertise in all.

A short summary would be a very dichotomous Officer - able to be one of the team, a Renaissance man in some respects - cuturally (bounce from good ol boy to effete gentleman, without pissing people off) intellectually, and militarily- not your typical conventional officer - more than and less than that.

Defining an SF Officer is like defining an SF NCO - difficult at best - next to impossible in most cases, because there is that indefinable SF-ness that is key.

Okay - that was rambling and semi coherent - anybody want to help granularize it?

edited for spelling

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR

Last edited by x SF med; 04-03-2007 at 15:00.
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote