View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 20:09   #102
John A. Larsen
Quiet Professional

Like Bill I have a Norton Med/Fine India mounted on my workbench, a gift from a CW3 that I sharpened a Argentinian short sword for. I also cut into the stone and pull back and use lamp oil that Bill sold me on some years ago. The final edge with a Norton Fine India is about the best I have found. Some years ago Sal Glesser, Spyderco knives, was amazed when Wayne Goddard used one of his knives to slice through a piece of rope like it was butter. The microscopic teeth the Norton Fine India puts on the edge of your blade are just as Bill describes, an awesome cutting edge. But being truthfull, I do not use it so much anymore as I have to go downstairs, and have a EZE-Lap dual hone right at my desk, Medium Grit on one side, Super Fine on the other, folds like a BaliSong. I used to carry one of the very small EZE-LAPs in my E&E kit, but like the longer sharpening surface of the dual hone and it keeps my hand further from the edge of the blade. I also like it as I use a lot of my knives, or ones I am testing to prepare food, and no oil is needed for the EZE_LAP, and it is light. I carry it in my day pack everywhere I travel. I noticed BadMuther saying he could not sharpen his KaBar. Sometimes if you have a softer steel it is harder to sharpen them as the edge just seems to roll from one side to the other. On the other side I started with an Arkansas whetstone and could not sharpen my Ben Hibben Jungle Fighter, tried and tried. Problem was the Arkansas stone does not remove much steel, and I would get worried I was not doing it right and stop. When i switched to a Norton stone, no more problems.
John A. Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote