View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 09:24   #41
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Gruzzen:

Nothing personal, and I think I understand your intent, but your post appears to confirm the bad stereotypes of 18Xs as whiny kids obsessed with themselves and not the force.

This gives ammo to those who would like to see the 18X program abolished and go back to everyone needing to be a Regular Army soldier first before becoming eligible to be "Special".

BTW, a Sergeant (E-5) is a Non-Comissioned Officer expected to lead soldiers in garrison and in combat. In an Infantry unit, an E-5 would be responsible for the health and welfare of up to a squad of a dozen troops. A soldier without any actual Army service or experience in a leadership capacity outside of the school environment should not be in charge of a squad, much less a company of indig in combat. Do you think that your education so far has adequately prepared you to lead a squad through company sized unit? That is why your predecessors many years ago were Spec 4s-7s, and were considered technicians, not leaders.

Unless I miss something, you are getting exactly what you were promised when you enlisted. If you want to get out of school more quickly and be promoted to SGT, fail your evals, and go to the 18B or 18C track. If you wanted to be an E-5 more than you want to be SF, drop from the program and the infantry unit you will be assigned to can make that decision about you.

Again, not trying to be harsh, just pointing out why you are in the position you are in. I suspect that you will make E-5 through E-7 quickly enough once you graduate, and don't worry, there will still be a war going on for you to participate in.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote