Professional Soldiers

Professional Soldiers (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   PT/ H2H (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Blitz only Thread (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24099)

Irishsquid 08-17-2009 21:32

Question:

I'm preparing to attend SFAS. Will be going in the next couple months. I have been doing Crossfit, then switched over to militaryathlete.com, and have just started doing their "SFAS Prep," program. I find it to be an absolutely amazing workout, but it leaves me feeling absolutely drained. Because of this, I find it harder and harder to get up in the mornings, as I work 1600-0200.

1) Would the Blitz protocol be a good workout program to do during my SFAS Prep time?
2) Would I be less fatigued, and more able to perform well at my civilian job in the meantime?

--Irishsquid

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-17-2009 22:19

What to do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishsquid (Post 279146)
Question:

I'm preparing to attend SFAS. Will be going in the next couple months. I have been doing Crossfit, then switched over to militaryathlete.com, and have just started doing their "SFAS Prep," program. I find it to be an absolutely amazing workout, but it leaves me feeling absolutely drained. Because of this, I find it harder and harder to get up in the mornings, as I work 1600-0200.

1) Would the Blitz protocol be a good workout program to do during my SFAS Prep time?
2) Would I be less fatigued, and more able to perform well at my civilian job in the meantime?

--Irishsquid

Eat well, stay hydrated, try to allow 48 hrs between workouts with what ever system you use.
As to the Blitz if done as written you will achieve near double endurance in about 2 and a half weeks. Strength gains will come after that. The Blitz will Fatigue you on a level you have not experienced prior, but recovery times become very fast.
As to performing better at work, I would say yes. Blitzing is highly cardio and elevates metabilism and enhances recovery times. I'd not combine it with other systems as they will slow the Blitz processes. Good luck Blitzzz

Irishsquid 08-17-2009 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 279151)
Eat well, stay hydrated, try to allow 48 hrs between workouts with what ever system you use.
As to the Blitz if done as written you will achieve near double endurance in about 2 and a half weeks. trength gains will come after that. The Blitz will Fatigue you on a level you have not experienced prior, but recovery times become very fast.
As to performing better at work, I would say yes. Blitzing is highly cardio and elevates metabilism and enhances recovery times. I'd not combine it with other systems as they will slow the Blitz processes. Good luck Blitzzz

Roger that, and much appreciated! I've decided to stop with the Crossfit-style workouts this month at least, and will start going to the gym at the base before work. I'm going to see how I'm doing on the Blitz protocol after a month, and will give a progress report.

Should I discontinue rucking, or keep going, at least to keep my feet tough?
Also, is there any recommended warmup?

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-18-2009 05:33

Thumbs up on rucking

You may want to use a near painless weight. Rucking is a way of life and not something we do once a month or so It become the way we move and patrol. You will need to get so used to it on your back that you feel naked without it... Blitzzz

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-18-2009 09:31

For those who are looking...

I saew an infomercial this morning about a piece of equipment that may panout to be an approiate Blitz machine. It is called the "Tower 200" by body by Jake. it looks good thus far.

Razor 08-18-2009 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlcoad (Post 279137)
what's wrong wih using a ruck sack with sand bags or weights for squats and calves?

Never mind. Where are you going to find a ruck that would hold enough weight. How would you put on 200 - 250 lb ruck on your back

Even without the weight issues (which are partially mitigated by the lower weight used in a Blitzz), IMO dumbells would be a better choice for balance. A ruck would put the weight too far behind one's natural center of gravity. I guess one could supplement the additional weight from the hand-held dumbells with a weighted vest, or rig a behind-the-neck type sling to hang sandbags close to the body.

Just thinking out loud on this.

dac 08-19-2009 13:14

Completed Day 4 on Monday, tonight is Day 5. Here are results from Monday:

Exercise | Weight | Reps 1 | Reps 2 | Reps 3
-------------------------------
Lat Pulls | #70 | 65 | 64 | 59
Seated Rows | #60 | 69 | 64 | 56
Chest Press | #90 | 77 | 72 | 53
Bicep Curls | #25 | 76 | 63 | 59
Half Squats | #0 | 64 | 62 | 53
Hamstring Curls | #40 | 67 | 61 | 61
Knee Extensions | #50 | 74 | 75 | 69
Crunches | #0 | 66 | 45 | 40

Some notes:

1. My calves were still really tight from Friday so I switched those out for crunches.
2. I don't think I need any extra weight for free standing squats, as you can see from the numbers.
3. The Lat/Row machine just can't go faster than ~1/sec without bouncing the weights.
4. I had previously been doing front and side hanging knee raises for abs and apparently I have no endurance there. :(
5. I updated the tracking spreadsheet to make it a little prettier and have all 8 weeks on two printed pages.

Irishsquid 08-19-2009 15:22

Did day 1 yesterday. It hurt, a lot worse than I expected.

I am more than a little sore today, so maybe I should drop the weight a little bit?

I'm quickly realizing that while I've gotten considerably stronger through CF, my endurance absolutely sucks.

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-19-2009 15:27

Nice work Dac..

Are you doing squats with 0 weights added to body? My suggestion to Abs are seated with your bact to the latpullbar, pull the weight down to the front of your chest ( you can do it standing and then sit down) hold the weights there and crunch without bending at the waist. Tha actual movement is about 3 inches.. You will be able to do many, many.... Blitzzz

And a note to Irishsquid

Read the instructions and pay close attention to the Start weight determination..!/3 of what you can push once. weights are very important part of the program, and soreness does not withthe proper weights. Later be careful when increasing weight figure as written and round down if the weights don't come out to what you have available. remember that at around 100 reps a min 1lb is equal to 100 lbs of work added to the work you are already doing. Blitzzz

Irishsquid 08-19-2009 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 279432)
Later be careful when increasing weight figure as written and round down if the weights don't come out to what you have available.

That might be the problem...I rounded up. On everything but bench press, I was making right at 60 reps a minute. Hard to get anything more than that from the machines I have available to me...might be solving that problem soon, though.

Milktrckcopilot 08-19-2009 18:39

Tonight was Day 2.

Exercise/weight/reps

Leg Ext/80/81-82-86

Barbell Rows/50/89- 76-58 ( I hate this exercise) Last session I did 75-80-59

Dumbell Press/25/73-70-57

Leg Curls/50/43-41-41

Hammer Curls 5/80-73-59 ( I scored my reps again and my new goal is 96)

Abs/70/60-59-56

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-19-2009 18:48

Just a look seee...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milktrckcopilot (Post 279460)
Tonight was Day 2.

Exercise/weight/reps

Leg Ext/80/81-82-86 ---What is your goal reps here? this numbers are low to high wrong. may need to relook start weight.

Barbell Rows/50/89- 76-58 ( I hate this exercise) Last session I did 75-80-59

Dumbell Press/25/73-70-57

Leg Curls/50/43-41-41

Hammer Curls 5/80-73-59 ( I scored my reps again and my new goal is 96)

Abs/70/60-59-56

I'd say drop to two circuits for the next two sessions and then jump up to three. First phase is building endurance at warp speed. You aren't dropping below 40 per min but you're not reaching 215 degrees per sec either, and many times that is due to equipment slowing the work. Looking pretty good so far.

dac 08-19-2009 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 279432)
Are you doing squats with 0 weights added to body? My suggestion to Abs are seated with your bact to the latpullbar, pull the weight down to the front of your chest ( you can do it standing and then sit down) hold the weights there and crunch without bending at the waist. Tha actual movement is about 3 inches.. You will be able to do many, many.... Blitzzz

Okay, I'll give that ab method a shot on Friday, what weight do you recommend?

With squats I have no machines in this gym so I am just free standing and going down until my knees are about 100 degrees. (not quite parallel to the ground)

Milktrckcopilot 08-19-2009 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 279461)
I'd say drop to two circuits for the next two sessions and then jump up to three. First phase is building endurance at warp speed. You aren't dropping below 40 per min but you're not reaching 215 degrees per sec either, and many times that is due to equipment slowing the work. Looking pretty good so far.

Roger, Wilco

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-19-2009 21:19

Like all things Blitz....

Quote:

Originally Posted by dac (Post 279470)
Okay, I'll give that ab method a shot on Friday, what weight do you recommend?

With squats I have no machines in this gym so I am just free standing and going down until my knees are about 100 degrees. (not quite parallel to the ground)

1/3 of what you can pull down in a crunch
.On squats I suggest using a weight Bench to squat to. Blitzzz